Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #31
Hokem Malarky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Great report and pics. It gives me a few ideas for the next time I'm out that way.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
Pangia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Hokem......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokem Malarky View Post
Great report and pics. It gives me a few ideas for the next time I'm out that way.
Awesome! There is a lot of beautiful country out here. I'm still getting to know it, but thus far my impressions are that Colorado has dramatic beauty but also more people on the trails...New Mexico has sublime beauty and many times I don't see a soul.

Enjoy the planning...I found that to be more fun than expected.

Cheers, Pangia

2013 F800GS / Santa Fe to Cinnamon Pass Ride Report

Pangia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #33
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,528
Excellent trip there. Went through some of that country in August and made a new 'friend' above Lake City. 35 mph speed limit on a sunday morning dang it. Ooops

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #34
Hokem Malarky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangia View Post
Awesome! There is a lot of beautiful country out here. I'm still getting to know it, but thus far my impressions are that Colorado has dramatic beauty but also more people on the trails...New Mexico has sublime beauty and many times I don't see a soul.

Enjoy the planning...I found that to be more fun than expected.

Cheers, Pangia
Thanks for the info. I've ridden around Colorado many times and love it but New Mexico's backcountry would be new territory for me. I think that will be my starting point next time
Old 10-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #35
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,880
I couldn't wait until Wednesday to get back to Platoro; so we rode over on Sunday. No burgers this trip; I had cobbler and my riding buddy got the Chef's salad.

The system that moved through CO last Thursday only left a skiff of snow on the higher ground - roads and trails were pretty much as they were on the last trip. The front predicted for Thursday may bring more snow and put an end to riding in the area until next spring. For bikes, that is; I'm sure the snomo guys are gonna be out and about soon.

First rifle starts Saturday...

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #36
Pangia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You guys are making me HUNGRY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I couldn't wait until Wednesday to get back to Platoro; so we rode over on Sunday. No burgers this trip; I had cobbler and my riding buddy got the Chef's salad.

The system that moved through CO last Thursday only left a skiff of snow on the higher ground - roads and trails were pretty much as they were on the last trip. The front predicted for Thursday may bring more snow and put an end to riding in the area until next spring. For bikes, that is; I'm sure the snomo guys are gonna be out and about soon.

First rifle starts Saturday...

Your photos are making me HUNGRY!!! The burger still pulls on me.....I had a plan to ride up towards CO and if I had time( I was going to MAKE time) head over to Platoro for a burger....but the route I took was washed out, rocky and bumpy and slow from the rains, so I backed off and went home Burger-less.
I now have a plan for this weekend....looking for a dawn patrol rider to join me on a blitz up to El Rito through Carson Nat Forest to Platoro. Pleaze keep torturing me with photos of food...! I WILL get there again!!
Pangia

Old 10-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #37
Pangia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Glad I missed this guy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
Excellent trip there. Went through some of that country in August and made a new 'friend' above Lake City. 35 mph speed limit on a sunday morning dang it. Ooops

Wachs: Sorry you came all the way from Oregon and met up with CO's finest...how fast waz you goin'?

Old 10-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #38
ttr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Beautiful RR and wilderness. Incredible how long you can drive on a dirty road without meet any asphalt.

Great
Old 10-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #39
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangia View Post
Wachs: Sorry you came all the way from Oregon and met up with CO's finest...how fast waz you goin'?
40 in a 35 but locals around San Cristobal reservoir had been complaining about motorcycles speeding and the guy was just there lurking on a corner. He was actually really nice and only dinged me for stale tags so, non-moving violation. I was in a hurry to get back to Silverton before the daily deluge and barely made it before the lightning and super heavy rain.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #40
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 315
Enjoyed your report. Brought back memories of the week I spent in Lake City this summer. The Alpine Loop is spectacular.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #41
Pangia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mille Grazie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttr View Post
Beautiful RR and wilderness. Incredible how long you can drive on a dirty road without meet any asphalt.

Great
TTR: Mille grazie...nice to know that a rider in Italy can share a ride with a rider in New Mexico / Colorado.

I liked seeing your ride reports from Europe...beautiful pics...I hope I can make it over to visit again sometime.

Ciao Amico!

Pangia

Old 10-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #42
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Platoro

We did Summitville and part of the 250 to Platoro about a week ago, totally beautiful with the colors.

Today over 2 inches of the white stuff here in Pagosa and lots more on Wolf creek. WC is expecting 10-12 inches.

We may just get the awesome Indian Summers we always get and you can make that run to the lodge at Platoro before they close.
I have hit the lodge almost every year since '94 and the food is /has been awesome. Not like it was in '94 but still super!!

The stories the hunters that come in elkless, wet , cold and tired are always the extra treat to sit , listen and visit with in the large fire place room

stay dry,gale
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572583
Gale B.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #43
Beatlunch
n00b

Oddometer: 7
inspiration

Well-spoken, with excellent documentation Pangia - thanks for the report! This is pure inspiration to me. No matter how many times a road or trail is traveled, there is something new to see and experience if you take the time to look. That is some beautiful country. How about a top 5 list of things you learned from the journey? Always looking for advice…

Again, thank you
Scott
Old 01-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #44
Pangia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Beatlunch....5 things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlunch View Post
Well-spoken, with excellent documentation Pangia - thanks for the report! This is pure inspiration to me. No matter how many times a road or trail is traveled, there is something new to see and experience if you take the time to look. That is some beautiful country. How about a top 5 list of things you learned from the journey? Always looking for advice…

Again, thank you
Scott
Hi Scott,

I am glad you enjoyed the "ride" and thank you for your kind words. I like the idea of listing 5 things I learned, so I will give it a go....

1. I over prepared. I caught the "be ready for anything" bug and over-thought and over-prepared for the trip. As a former back country multi day camper, I forgot that I'd be stopping for gas every 200 miles and could get almost anything I need when I stop. I brought too much food and ate out more than I expected. Guess I read too many Kazakhstan reports and forgot that I was still in the USA.

2. Must haves for me: #1 Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pants. It performed exceptionally well in temperature ranges from below 30 °F to the low 70's °F. Since that trip, I have even been in heavy rains for hours at highway speeds and stayed dry. #2 Butler CBCDR map and free waypoints. The waypoints allowed me to make good progress without spending a lot of time at junctions trying to figure which way to go. #3 Delorme InReach tracking device. Never had to use it, but my wife and friends liked knowing I was ok and I liked knowing I could get help if I really needed it.

3. The F800GS: I have had a WR450 and an XR650R, both plated for the street. They are great bikes, but I really like the combination of the F800GS and soft bags by Kriega. The weight / maneuverability / comfort combination worked well for me on this trip. The terrain I am able to negotiate is well within my personal range of fun and challenging but not Erzberg crazy. On the slab, the F800GS is beautiful (although I prefer dirt). The kriega bags have held up well on my offs and carry enough gear for me for 5+ days.

4. I truly appreciate the ADV Rider community. Seeing and reading of others journeys and asking more experienced riders questions and getting tips made a big difference for me. Without ADV Rider, I probably would not have had the balls to do the ride solo, nor had any idea about where to go and the fun ways to get there. Utilize the community here, there are some outstanding riders willing to share.

5. Ride as much as you can. There is national forest 15 minutes from my home and I have a 15-60 mile loop option I like to ride. Even though I know it well, the conditions change with rain, snow, temperature. This area "provides" a baseline for me and I get to know my bike and gear in different temps, tire pressures, weather conditions, clothing combo's, pre-load adjustments, etc....it is my testing ground and I learn a lot. It all translates to experience.

Not to take anything away from my experience, I will admit that since I completed this trip, I have read several reports on ADV Rider where the riders did not have the latest greatest gear or bike and they were not 100% prepared - they just went for it. There is a freedom in that which I like. I think it took all I did just to feel safe to do it and now that I have, I am moving towards more simplicity and an increased willingness to go with the flow of the adventure.

Thanks for asking and PM me if you are thinking of heading this way.

Cheers - Pangia