Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #586
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwnewbie View Post
How do you send an original title, by mail with possibility of loss, scan etc.

Or do you just show up with title and rest of documentation and wait at the border 72 hours until they clear title etc.? at the US Border Crossing at Sweetgrass MT/Coutts Alberta it still states documentation fax/email scan copy has to be in their possession for processing 72 hours before you show up.

Just curious,

bmwnewbie
The PO sent it registered mail, that way we had a tracking number and it required a signature so we knew exactly when it arrived.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #587
bmwnewbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
The PO sent it registered mail, that way we had a tracking number and it required a signature so we knew exactly when it arrived.
Well thats good if you are close to a border crossing point. If your in transit say from Arizona/California/Nevada you'd time it so as to get to the border after Title has been processed.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post this is the process that US Customs are doing in the Eastern part of the country, I wonder if this policy will extend to other border crossing. I am guessing they may do that way out east as the volume of cross border traffic is probably a lot higher than in Southern Alberta.

What about the US/BC especially the Vancouver crossings do they have same policy?

bmwnewbie
bmwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #588
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwnewbie View Post
How do you send an original title, by mail with possibility of loss, scan etc.

Or do you just show up with title and rest of documentation and wait at the border 72 hours until they clear title etc.? at the US Border Crossing at Sweetgrass MT/Coutts Alberta it still states documentation fax/email scan copy has to be in their possession for processing 72 hours before you show up.

Just curious,

bmwnewbie
Quite frankly, I don't think they care.
That said, it doesn't have to be exactly 72 hours, it can be more, so its not that hard to plan.
In my case the PO mailed me the title and I took it to the border a month before riding across. The PO could just as easily mailed it strait to the border.
In my case I had paid 1/2 the value up front. The PO really took no risk as the worst case was they would have to have the title re issued. I did not have possession of the bike till paid in full, after visual inspection, Weeks later.

Bob

From my mobile
BikerBobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #589
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,377
I phoned the crossing intended to use and asked what they needed, and was told that only the original would do . the title was there for about 5 days before I arrived. So best to call ahead and see what they require.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #590
Maggot12
Banned

Oddometer: 3,689
I've done this I think 11 times now and I always faxed it. Boats, trailer, rvs and bikes. Sometimes I had the title in hand and faxed it myself, but most times I asked the owner to fax it, say on a Wednesday, I'd go across the border Saturday morning and return with the bike that day or sunday depending how far south I went. They compared the fax with now my owning the original, stamp the original and gone. I've been in there as low as 30 seconds to 15 minutes.

They want the 72 hrs min... I haven't tried less but seen people in the same lineup get through with less and I've seen people show up with zero time get thru. And others turned away and told to come back in 3 days, so it's depending on the agent. Playing by the rules makes things pretty simple.

Gonna go again soon, as soon as I can find an FJR worthy of the trek....
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #591
BTL
WINTER!! UGH!

Oddometer: 405
http://www.ucanimport.com/Border_Crossing_Info.aspx

This is what I used. I imported 2012 GSA. It could not have went any better. Follow work sheet and u can't go wrong.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #592
frankrca
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Canada customs software re duty is outdated April 2013

I just thanked farmerger for posting the new duty re importing a motorcycle after April 2013. The new duty no matter where the bike was made is ZERO. If you purchased an imported motorcycle after this date check to be sure you DID NOT PAY DUTY. IF you did pay duty you can obtain a form and request the duty back. My savings was over $800.
The original posting can be found at http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...Canada&page=39
The information is

Effective April 2013
Chapter 87 – T2013-2
Found at http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/trade-commerce.../ch87-eng.html

frankrca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #593
BTL
WINTER!! UGH!

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrca View Post
I just thanked farmerger for posting the new duty re importing a motorcycle after April 2013. The new duty no matter where the bike was made is ZERO. If you purchased an imported motorcycle after this date check to be sure you DID NOT PAY DUTY. IF you did pay duty you can obtain a form and request the duty back. My savings was over $800.
The original posting can be found at http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...Canada&page=39
The information is

Effective April 2013
Chapter 87 – T2013-2
Found at http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/trade-commerce.../ch87-eng.html

I can attest to that...cost me nada..
Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #594
Maggot12
Banned

Happy New everyone. Just want to give a heads up if your bringing in a Yamaha.

I called Yamaha Canada this morning about importing a FJR. The call was about 3 minutes with me giving the VIN #. I had the recall clearance letter faxed and in my hands a few minutes later. Well done Yamaha Canada.

I've imported lots of stuff, never from Ont, though but this was the quickest recall letter I ever recieved.

I'm hoping to have the bike home this weekend, and will report how it goes.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #595
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post

I called Yamaha Canada this morning about importing a FJR. The call was about 3 minutes with me giving the VIN #. I had the recall clearance letter faxed and in my hands a few minutes later. Well done Yamaha Canada.

I've imported lots of stuff, never from Ont, though but this was the quickest recall letter I ever recieved.

Now that is customer service! Good for you.
LVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #596
JoeFab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Excuse my ignorance but are these instructions for the U.S. customs, or the Canadian ones ?...j.f.
JoeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #597
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFab View Post
Excuse my ignorance but are these instructions for the U.S. customs, or the Canadian ones ?...j.f.
Would help if you linked or quoted the instructions you're asking about - there are 600 posts in this thread and some of them are for US Customs and some for Canada customs.

Basically US Customs just wants to see the title; anything else is for Canada.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #598
JoeFab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Thank you...j.f.
JoeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #599
Maggot12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post

Late to update.. the mint 07 is in my garage awaiting a trip to Canadian Tire for the import inspection. If the weather was warm, from the time at the border to full insurance and riding, this could be done in two days. But since its -30 I'm in no rush.
At 90ish cents to a US dollar, one needs to ensure what they're buying to make it worth while venture.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 AM   #600
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Lemme run this one by ya.....

Hey all,
Wondering if I can pick your collective brains on an importation quandary I have. First, I have imported a bike to Canada from the states and am familiar with the process. Imported a 2000 Ducati 996 SPS a couple years ago. Anyway, my issue is a bit outside the box.

A good friend of mine from school who is American, left to go teach English in Japan 3-4 years ago and I’ve had his bike in my garage ever since as he was only supposed to be gone for a year or two. Anyway, as is the custom….he’s found himself a nice local girl and has decided he’s not coming back in the foreseeable future. We both knew a long term stint overseas was a possibility so he signed the release on his US ownership papers for the bike in case he need me to sell it to make some quick cash while he was away. As it turns out, he landed a pretty stable gig and never needed to do so.

So now I have the bike, the deed is signed (albeit dated 2010) and a hand written bill of sale signed by my buddy. My question is how best to go about registering the bike in Ontario? The bike runs well and will pass a safety no problem. I babied this thing like it was my own over the years. Oh…and for the record it is a 1997 Ducati 916.

My thought was to simply go to the MTO, present my docs and see what happens? Thoughts??
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote