Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Arctic traveller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Moving map info for Baja and beyond

Please forgive me, as I'm sure this question has been asked before, but after reading the FAQ's and a quick search I didn't find much. Here's my issue, I'm planning on going to Baja to watch the 1000, and would like to set up a nav system. Sadly, as I research this, I find lots of info, but I have no idea what most folks are talking about as they use a lot of terms I've never heard of. (geo referencing, geo tiff zip, PICT files, PDF, etc)

I'm not riding this time though, as the wife can't sit on the back of my GS over hundreds of miles of bumps, so we are taking our 4WD Ford van. I originally thought I would just mount my lap-top, but now I'm thinking a tablet is the way to to. I'd run it off an inverter, so 110VAC is no problem.

Trouble is, I know nothing about tablets and little about computers in general. While looking at tablets, I found one I thought might work, but then discovered there was no USB port for my GPS reciever (a standalone puck type) That's when it occurred to me that I'm way over my head (again)

So, what I'd like to do is have a map displayed on a tablet that show's my current position and a reasonable amount of the surrounding area. I'd like to use my GPS puck antenna mounted outside, and perhaps be able to display topo's. I don't really need to plot tracks, download to a hand held GPS, or do much other than know where I am. I like to use paper maps for planning. In a perfect world my system would also be able to display Canadian maps and topo's, but I understand that takes different software (I think)

I've been looking at this software:

http://www.gotrekkers.com/mm5/mercha...egory_Code=140

Or possibly this, but I don't think they do Baja very well:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...?section=10742

So, would anyone be willing to spend a few minutes to recommend an inexpensive tablet and compatible software to give me my moving map? Any additional advice would be very welcome too, as I know almost nothing about what I'm trying to do. I come from a marine background where we use nav systems with moving charts, and I'd like the same thing for land.
Thanks in advance..........Arctic Traveller
Arctic traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,657
You realize that the 2013 Baja 1000 is a loop race that starts and finishes in Ensenada.....right??
Old 09-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,343
Some Tablets have Built in GPS's
I have a SONY S , it has a built in GPS ( although they do not list it in the Specs. ???) and it works with offline maps. ( CoPilot, DualSports Maps etc)
I don't know about the availability of Maps for Baja, I have never looked for any.
But for a trip like that I would just use my Garmin Montana with Custom maps
And I am sure you can even get the GPS track for the Race Course ahead of time to load either way you go.

The Delorme Software would not be Ideal for Mexico right out of the Box, as there is no minor road data and it will not run on a Tablet, will run fine on most PC Note/Netbooks. You can add data to the Delorme maps but that takes time to learn the Program and how to work with Map layers.

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 07:30 AM
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Arctic traveller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

"You realize that the 2013 Baja 1000 is a loop race that starts and finishes in Ensenada.....right?? "

Yes, I am aware of that, but plan to spend a few weeks exploring after the race too.

[QUOTE=rwamf;22366099]Some Tablets have Built in GPS's
I have a SONY S , it has a built in GPS ( although they do not list it in the Specs. ???) and it works with offline maps. ( CoPilot, DualSports Maps etc)

I suspect the built in GPS may not receive as well while in a moving vehicle as an external antenna will. That's why I think I need a USB port, but don't know how to tell if a particular tablet will support the puck antenna

"But for a trip like that I would just use my Garmin Montana with Custom maps"

One of the main reasons I would like to use a tablet is size. The wife / navigatress is prone to motion sickness and trying to navigate on a tiny screen won't help.

"And I am sure you can even get the GPS track for the Race Course ahead of time to load either way you go."

As far as I know, they have not announced this year's course yet, all I have heard so far is that it's a loop.

"The Delorme Software would not be Ideal for Mexico right out of the Box, as there is no minor road data and it will not run on a Tablet,"

I have read elsewhere that the Delorme maps are lacking for Baja, and they would not be my first choice. What I was not aware of was that it would not run on a tablet. This is the sort of information I'm seeking. I had thought if you bought a tablet running windows, it would support most windows programs, perhaps with less functionality, memory etc, but I didn't know some programs were not compatible. Could you explain why that is, and what to look out for when I do buy one?

"will run fine on most PC Note/Netbooks."

Why is this?

Thanks so much for the help...........Arctic Traveller
Old 10-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Arctic traveller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bump............Anyone?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Baja 1000 navigating

Can't help you with any tablet info, but a simple gps that has city navigator (all north america including mexico) will work for you. If you want a Mexico topo map, here's the site and models that it works with:

http://www.cartografiagps.com/mape32/

http://www.cartografiagps.com/mape32/compatibility.htm

Once the race map has been posted, you really don't need a gps, just a decent map and basic navigating common sense. A few days prior to the race, there's lots of racers and fans floating around to give you insight as to where you want to watch the race from.
Hill Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Arctic traveller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info, but I prefer to have a larger screen than the typical handheld GPS. My navigator tends towards motion sickness when looking a little screen, and stealing glances at it while driving is far safer the bigger it is, hence my desire for a tablet. The course was announced yesterday, and it runs past Mikes, so getting to there to see them on the way back to Ensenada is pretty much the goal, while catching the starters somewhere on the way to Mikes should be pretty easy. It's after the race that we plan further explorations, and why I want a maping system. Research is telling me there are not too may compatible tablets that will run the mapping software I have found so far. I may end up with a small laptop instead, but still need to decide on a software provider. Thanks for the help.........Arctic Traveller
Old 10-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
You might find something here regarding hardware;

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900962

I can't be of help with the maps as I use paper + LBMaps on the GPS and if I were to change the LBMaps it would be for E32 maps. I also think Garmin has beefed up it's Mexico coverage a little, they have a map viewer for their products.

I sill run a 60CSx so to me a Montana has a huge screen. I also carry a small Acer net-book (small laptop really) which runs W7 and I have both MapSource & BaseCamp loaded but neither support real-time GPS, and there are utilities which do support real-time use but none of my maps.

My suggestion for in care use; buy a big screen Garmin car Nuvi and add LBMaps. Then mount the unit up high where both of you can see it and neither have to look down. If the wife is that prone to motion sickness perhaps if would give her great relief to pull over often so you can carry the majority of the nav duties.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 10:14 AM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Arctic traveller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm not giving up yet

Thanks Bruce, but I'm beginning to think this will be difficult if not impossible to do. I have been in contact with Garmin, asking the same questions, but I all I have gotten back so far is a canned response that didn't answer my question about a real time display on a laptop. They recommended I go the the website to learn about Basecamp, but I've done that already and it doesn't say anything about real time positions on the PC.

I have not given up yet though, for several reasons. First and foremost, a large screen GPS costs more than an inexpensive lap top that does tons' more and has a bigger screen. I've also entertained the idea of a real desk top computer mounted in a cabinet with wireless controls and a small flat screen up forward. It would be great for working with photos, email and internet use too, and darn inexpensive at that. I would love to run E32, but again it can only be used on a small screen GPS. As I mentioned before, I'm a professional mariner, and use real time chart plotters daily. Interestingly, there are probably a dozen or more programs that do exactly what I want using marine charts, but so far none that can be used with topo's or other land based maps, but I keep hoping.

So, thanks again. If I discover how to do this, I'll post the info here. ...................Arctic Traveller
Old 10-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
The irony is that early versions of MapSource (10+ years ago) did support real time mapping, a feature lost on later releases. I'm sure the is something (perhaps OZIExplorer or GPSUtillity) which supports real time but then you would need to scan paper maps and geo-reference them which would be a huge pain for large area coverage.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote