ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #496
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyOne View Post
Thanks for all your efforts Bryan!
Thank you! Happy to serve our interests.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #497
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Some good news for those that ride in MI. One of the problems for not-DOT licensed vehicles was getting through some pinch spots to connect trails where the alternative to getting around an obstacle was a state highway. Now there is a possibility of getting permission.

Local governments may now seek permission from the state Department of Transportation (MDOT) to allow off-road recreational vehicles (ORV) on the shoulders of state roads where necessary to connect existing ORV networks. Local governments across the entire state also will now have the option of opening their own roads to such access.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #498
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Took care of that restrictive signage problem in the Lakewood District of the CNNF yesterday. This started when I came upon a sign that a local ATV club put up at the edge of the USFS property saying "No Motorcycles". I did some checking around and found signage that restricted us from some places we were entitled to go. The first time I raised this with the USFS I did not get satisfaction. Eventually I got it to the District Ranger who agreed to fix the problem if we would help by putting up the signs. They ordered them and I got them up. I'll have to check but I think I put up about 40 motorcycle stickers in areas of the forest where there was or could be a problem with other user groups not understanding we are entitled to be there. I covered spots NW of Wabeno, south of Wabeno, the Crooked Lake area, the Chute Pond area, and the Sawyer Lake area.

I added some motorcycle stickers to Carsonite makers on some trails and roads we are entitled to.

I covered the initiative with some ATV club leaders in the area so seeing the stickers should be no surprise, although I'm sure some ATVers may be confused since the Oconto County ATV trail system is closed to MCs except on forest property.

I have to say that I felt good with every sticker I put in place.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #499
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
ce.
Thanks Mr. Cannon
c-zulu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #500
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post
Thanks Mr. Cannon
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:53 AM   #501
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post
Thanks Mr. Cannon

I agree. Thank you.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #502
reveille
Now 70% Better!

Oddometer: 563
That picture says it all! Awesome job and thanks for all the hard work. I hate to think of what the trail access would look like if you weren't so entrenched.
reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #503
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I got a chance to chat with the head of the WI DNR again the other day. I went over a few OHM initiatives with her. She is friendlier to our interests than some others from the past. It is a good time to be trying to make some gains.

I've got a few more irons in the fire at the moment. I'll share more information as things develop.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #504
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I made two presentations to business people and centers of influence in Boulder Junction today. Boulder Junction is in the heart of a silent sports area in a county that voted down ATVs in a county-wide referendum. The county is pretty much void of ATV trails even though trails are abundant in neighboring counties.

Boulder Junction is also an overnight stop on the Northern Wisconsin Adventure Trail and a gas stop on the Northern Highlands dual sport route.

Despite motorized recreation not being on the "top of the list" around there, these people showed a lot of enthusiasm for becoming a dual sport motorcycling destination.

They are forming a dual sort motorcycling club.

They are working toward getting more community people on board with dual sport motorcycling.

They will be working with state tourism people and their local tourism people to become more visible as a dual sport destination.

They are willing to work toward getting some single track motorcycle trail established in the adjacent NHAL state forest. This will be a longer term project but with community support. I see it as being something we can achieve. They have had a lot of success building bicycle trails around here, so working toward getting a motorcycle trail is not as big of a reach as it might be elsewhere. They are also interested in developing a trials practice area as part of the single track project.

They have beautiful forests, rolling terrain, winding two tracks, and a pretty good support structure (with a variety of other recreation opportunities). I see this as an enhancement to our recreational interest.

They have an exceptional and large wooded campground that I hadn't visited before.

They are already talking about a spring dual sport ride open to the public and have significant interest in getting some ice riding (possibly events) going in the area.

Yes, there will be some opposition on principle from some silent sports types that won't be affected at all by this, but the group knows to just press on with what they are doing and things will work out fine in the end.

I'll continue to have a relationship with these folks to help them work their way into this and to connect them with others that can be of assistance.

I should add that some of these folks are older. Many rode some form of dirt bike as a kid. There is a lot of enthusiasm for getting back into it. Those that don't currently have a bike are so enthusiastic about where this is going that they are shopping for dual sports so they can get back to riding "trails". There was a lot of discussion about appropriate bikes to get. I left some notes on a variety of models to explore.

Encouraging days like this mean a lot to me. I really enjoyed experiencing some of their excitement. We need to make it a point to ride with some of these guys once they get up and running. I'm sure it will be a great experience for everyone involved.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 02:59 AM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #505
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,086
Sounds great! Hope it works out.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #506
SJK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Cool2

Another outstanding job by Cannonshot!!! Thanks for all you are doing!! All the footwork you have done is showing results on the ground.
1992 DR350 2009 F800GS

SJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #507
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,187
Outstanding! Keen to see how this develops.
c-zulu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #508
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

It is great to see their enthusiasm. They have some good leadership so there should be no problem getting things done. Nonetheless, things . . . take . . . time.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #509
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 8,642
Awesome Bryan!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=aYDfwUJzYQg
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #510
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

For those that haven't been paying attention, American Motorcyclist is now published in two versions. One version is principally OHM and the other is principally street - although some content overlaps.

For those interested in the OHM version, it might be a good idea to call member services at 800-262-5646 to tell them which version you want. Have your member number handy.

There is also an option to get both versions for $10 more per year.

For members that like to read on-line, you can find both versions there. Good thing too. I see some adventure and dual sport content is in the street version.

This month's street version mentioned a new law in WI establishing a 7 member ORV Council. We had an ORV Council. This law changed it from DNR appointment to Governor's appointment. The law also changed the focus of the council to ATVs.

We will have our own council for OHM with the new legislation.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 04:55 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote