Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #2296
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leminkainen View Post
I am assuming that you are using your originals for all your boarder crossings. Have you tried using copies? Any lessons learned from the ?How many crossings?

Lem
I give originals to boarder crossings... but i always have copies. If I get pulled over by police I give copies.. in case they try to ask fro bribes.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #2297
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,236
Hey Noah. Where will you spend your 30th? Thailand?? I'm the 22nd, but ill be sure to toast to you in a bit over a month. Watching with great interest
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #2298
Aron31
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Noah awesome report. Excellent pics and videos. Had a question about the ignition wires that keep going out on you. Is there a more permanant fix so as to keep it from going out in the future? Or something that someone planning a trip on a 690 could do to prevent it from occuring?

My 2008 Klr 650 (orange)
Wife's 2008 Klr 650 (red)
Aron31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #2299
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron31 View Post
Noah awesome report. Excellent pics and videos. Had a question about the ignition wires that keep going out on you. Is there a more permanant fix so as to keep it from going out in the future? Or something that someone planning a trip on a 690 could do to prevent it from occuring?
Yeah, You could heat shrink the crap out of them... then ziptie them so they don't vibrate.

Much of my problem stemmed from the previous owner. When the Rallyraid kit was installed, the wires weren't long enough so they were lengthened with 2 short wires. The the Ignition coil uses 1 small and 1 large connector, when he installed the wires, he used 2 large wires. These came loose, then broke then, then came loose again. I think I have a pretty good fix now.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #2300
wadventure
Mellow Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Yeah, You could heat shrink the crap out of them... then ziptie them so they don't vibrate.

Much of my problem stemmed from the previous owner. When the Rallyraid kit was installed, the wires weren't long enough so they were lengthened with 2 short wires. The the Ignition coil uses 1 small and 1 large connector, when he installed the wires, he used 2 large wires. These came loose, then broke then, then came loose again. I think I have a pretty good fix now.
That's what I did to my wife's ignition wires (2008 690 E). We bought it used with RR tanks and got stranded in Taylor Park, CO with a broken ignition wire. I soldered on new spade connectors and about 2 inches of heat shrink. No problems since then (with those wires anyway). I do plan to lengthen them, maybe this winter, as they are tight and the RR bracket does put the wires at their limit.

Thanks again for the ride Noah! Awesome vicarious Nirvana!
wadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #2301
Hunter-Douglas
rube

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadventure View Post
That's what I did to my wife's ignition wires (2008 690 E). We bought it used with RR tanks and got stranded in Taylor Park, CO with a broken ignition wire. I soldered on new spade connectors and about 2 inches of heat shrink. No problems since then (with those wires anyway). I do plan to lengthen them, maybe this winter, as they are tight and the RR bracket does put the wires at their limit.

Thanks again for the ride Noah! Awesome vicarious Nirvana!
Just think about how boring it would be if every bike performed flawlessly for a 100k miles in grueling conditions. Sounds like no fun...
Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #2302
just1
Wanderlust

Oddometer: 3
Boots

Great report Noah! Curious about your Sidi Boots that packed it in...were they Rains or the Gore-Tex ones? How long did you have them for?
just1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #2303
jimtom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter-Douglas View Post
Just think about how boring it would be if every bike performed flawlessly for a 100k miles in grueling conditions. Sounds like no fun...
I'll take trouble free anyday. I want to ride not wrench.
jimtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #2304
wadventure
Mellow Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtom View Post
I'll take trouble free anyday. I want to ride not wrench.
Yeah, that's nice, but there is a bond you develop with a bike when you wrench it. It can go to far, if all you ever do is wrench. But, there is something special about these 690's. I used to have a 640 and regretted selling it (ended up crashed and burned 20 miles short of Ushaia!) The 690 is definitely the new and improved version.
wadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #2305
jimtom
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadventure View Post
Yeah, that's nice, but there is a bond you develop with a bike when you wrench it. It can go to far, if all you ever do is wrench. But, there is something special about these 690's. I used to have a 640 and regretted selling it (ended up crashed and burned 20 miles short of Ushaia!) The 690 is definitely the new and improved version.

I bond from preventive maint. but break downs "break" the bond for me. Reliability is king. Its different strokes for different folks. For some , break downs are part of the journey, for others , break downs are journey interruption. I'm in the second group.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #2306
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtom View Post
I bond from preventive maint. but break downs "break" the bond for me. Reliability is king. Its different strokes for different folks. For some , break downs are part of the journey, for others , break downs are journey interruption. I'm in the second group.
Me too, which is why this thread is entertaining and useful. I expect my next adventure ride will be on the KTM and I want to pre-load for success, which means no break downs.
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #2307
7days1shower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Only stumbled across this RR now, but thanks a lot for posting up in detail on getting into Japan without a carnet. Do you have any advice to share going the other way? That is shipping/flying into Japan with an exit to Russia?

Will have to backtrack and read the whole report now :)
7days1shower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #2308
jimtom
Adventurer

having said that, I'm a road rider so I can't really even wrap my head around trip of this magnitude. I don't know if any adventure motorcycle can do such a thing and not encounter some problems.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #2309
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 760
I think it's a matter of location and severity, jimtom. My "adventure" rides don't come close to Noah's ride, but if I'm stuck in the Rocky's 50 miles from civilization, my trip is still degraded. I'd rather whistle over the mountain, stopping to take pics rather than getting tools out and working a problem. My idea of fun wrenching puts the bike on my lift at home in a clean environment.
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #2310
jimtom
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
I think it's a matter of location and severity, jimtom. My "adventure" rides don't come close to Noah's ride, but if I'm stuck in the Rocky's 50 miles from civilization, my trip is still degraded. I'd rather whistle over the mountain, stopping to take pics rather than getting tools out and working a problem. My idea of fun wrenching puts the bike on my lift at home in a clean environment.
yes, we have the same idea of fun wrenching . Road wrenching not only interupts my trip but sometimes others are inconvenienced if I'm riding with someone else or a small group. There is one thing in this world i hate to be , a burden.