Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #91
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618

on our way into Patagonia we ordered 7 pizzas and lit the way with our hd headlights for our four riders. got into Patagonia 7:30 to be followed by Julio at 8 pm with his flashlight lighting the way and 5 other riders about 8:30. but everone got there. we had pizza beer and soda waiting. ate the remaining pizza for lunch the next day while four riders of the group went back to look for brad. brad called shortly after relaying he was in benson at the gas stop already. owner of hotel had to ask us to quiet down as we were rehashing the events of the day. morning breakfast at 7 at the hotel was great followed by kickstands up about 8. water ice and pizza bags packed tubes in truck. go go
Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #92
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

some of the goods being enjoyed.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #93
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

starting off from hotel. nice fresh air with views of old small town structures. day would conclude with one truck flat sidewall gash. and three flat moto tires. Julio being the last person to have to deal with a flat. you can see how happy he was after pulling a three inch horseshoe nail out of his tire. and I got to lift more rocks as u can see the one under bike. we cannot fail to mention that this day we came across to older ladies at different points on a dirt road with very similar white dogs waving their hands and telling us SLOW DOWN to the bikes. we were going 25. guess she was not use to 10 motos coming by her daily walk route. oh well. what to do. great run. a lot of flats. great memories. great guys. hope to do it again. THE GHOST. git r dun. and NO I will NOT slow. I will GO. .........haul ass. .............over and out!!!!!!!!

Mil T screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 06:23 PM
Mil T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #94
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Man, cyberdos, for such a small guy you sure picked up that 650 in a hurry!

And what jurisdiction would that be, Steve? Hmmmm......

We're you maybe near ft huachuca? Or the Goldwater range?

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #95
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Backfire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil T View Post
Hey Big E, is this the moment you thought I shot you?

The Ghost was also good for lifting big rocks that us old guys looked at and said "That's a big rock, would make a good bike stand". Thanks!

Don, we admit to nothing further. (Plausible deniability I believe it's called...)
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #96
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Continuing saga of the Patagonia Express

As you can see I had the first flat. I don’t understand why running slightly off trail in the middle of a cactus patch to avoid the deep sand should cause such a mess but it did.
I checked the tire for thorns and found none so, I asked the safety engineer (Charlie) to double-check my work and got the seal of approval.
After our lunch stop (15 minutes at the gas station) I had the tire go flat again.
I figured I better get serious about that front tire problem. I did not want to hold up the group with my stupidity so I told Mil that I was going back to the gas station to fix my tire and would contact him and Drew when finished to meet up. In my pursuit of excellence in tire repair I discovered a thorn through a lug and was almost not poking through to the tube. I figure that every time I hit that lug on a rock it was poking my tube. I dug out the offending thorn and booted the tire because I had to damage the carcass. I patched the tube and left a message for Mil and Drew that I would meat them in Tubac at the market about 5:00 PM. I got to the market at 5:15 PM and it took me a few minutes to listen to all the voicemails on my phone. Drew said that they might not make it there by 5:00 and I might want to continue on. I left him a message that I would wait for them (big mistake). I got a call from Mil about an hour later saying that the Ghost and him along with a few other riders were slabbing it to Patagonia (about 90 miles) because of tire issues and something about being detained by the border patrol. I'm thinking about who else Mil can piss off today or was it the Ghost? I wasn't very concerned anyways because I think they are all US citizens with the exception of the Ghost. You can't be to sure about the nationality of Ghosts you know.
I began thinking maybe I should have stayed with the group. Doesn’t sound like I would have slowed them down at all.
Drew finally called me and told me he was standing alone in the middle of the desert wondering where everyone went. I reminded him, as the ride leader you want to try to avoid that scenario. He said that they would be there soon. My next call (about 7:30 PM) from Drew went like this:
Drew: did you say you were at the market in Tubac?
YB: uh, yeah.
Drew: I think we passed it on the freeway.
YB: ok.
Drew: I think we are at ***** Canyon road exit.
YB: ok.
Drew: We will ride back to the market.
YB: uh, no. I will be there shortly.
I rode to the exit and we made a sprint for Patagonia arriving just in time for cold pizza and beer. It tasted good! We sat in the courtyard swapping lies and annoying the other guest just enough to get the manager riled. Actually the manager was super cool and the facilities were good. A+ for Stage Stop Inn. C- for the other guest. Bedtime in Patagonia!

More boring tales from the saddle later. Tomorrow starts the racing in Parker. Yehaaa.
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #97
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybracing View Post
I wasn't very concerned anyways because I think they are all US citizens with the exception of the Ghost. You can't be to sure about the nationality of Ghosts you know.
We are not even sure about the Ghost's species.

What a great weekend!

-dod
Old 10-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #98
OldtimerTC
XR650L

Oddometer: 904
Did anyone get a picture of our waitress at Breakfast Sunday morning ?

I know I am a dirty old man and all, but have to say she may have just made the whole ride worth it.
Member COHVO
OldtimerTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #99
ducmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
WOW. Looked like an epic weekend. Great ride report and pics.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #100
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldtimerTC View Post
Did anyone get a picture of our waitress at Breakfast Sunday morning ?

I know I am a dirty old man and all, but have to say she may have just made the whole ride worth it.
Sorry I was to busy lookin!!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #101
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,003
Finding friends

After 15 or so minutes of waiting to see if anyone would arrive where I was I started to make plans for moving forward. For quite some time now I have been using the Scala G4 and what a great device this is. The speakers and mic in my helmet are just what I needed as the phone rang and it was AZRedline letting me know he might be lost. After some time trying to get his location off his gps and me trying to input it into mine we decided to just go with land marks and I would ride to his location. After using the horizon and land formations along with some trail features and a lone water tank I was able to ride to his location a few miles away. Not long after meeting up the phone went off again and it was 4Play letting us know he was solo and not sure where we were but he was on the trail somewhere. We felt sure he was ahead of us as he had ridden for quite a while before retreating to see if anyone was coming and as soon as we got around the first corner he could hear the bikes and come to find out we were not more than 500 yards away from each other. Now in pitch dark we moved AZRedline to the front as his light isn't the best and started heading toward the meetup point with YBRacing.

I stopped a border patrol guy in a 4*4 also in the middle of nowhere and let him know about our Julio situation and if he saw him to let him know we had headed to Patagonia. Just minutes after that we stopped to call YBRacing and let him know we were moving all be it 2 hours late toward him and while we were talking I got a message from Julio that he had followed the tracks the wrong way and had ridden back to the hwy from once we came and was going to ride the blacktop around to Patagonia as his headlight also sucked.

It would seem that we were now gathering some momentum toward getting everyone to the over night location and after a short time we had met up with YB and were on our way to meet up with everyone else.

Got to love it guys...... The pizza was great and the soda cold and the stories of the day were awesome. Now we get to do it all over again tomorrow. Life is good
Reidy008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #102
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
After 15 or so minutes of waiting to see if anyone would arrive where I was I started to make plans for moving forward. For quite some time now I have been using the Scala G4 and what a great device this is. The speakers and mic in my helmet are just what I needed as the phone rang and it was AZRedline letting me know he might be lost. After some time trying to get his location off his gps and me trying to input it into mine we decided to just go with land marks and I would ride to his location. After using the horizon and land formations along with some trail features and a lone water tank I was able to ride to his location a few miles away. Not long after meeting up the phone went off again and it was 4Play letting us know he was solo and not sure where we were but he was on the trail somewhere. We felt sure he was ahead of us as he had ridden for quite a while before retreating to see if anyone was coming and as soon as we got around the first corner he could hear the bikes and come to find out we were not more than 500 yards
From my point of view, I was behind Cyberdos & Drew, made 10' of a wrong turn then was on the gas trying to catch back up. The trail was smoothing up a bit so I was haulin the mail & could not believe I couldn't get close enough to see any dust (turned out Drew & Julio missed a turn & Steve & I wound up ahead of them). I knew Steve had ridden the trail before & incorrectly assumed he knew the way. After about seven miles of full boogie I hit a long fairly straight hill & there was no headlight behind me? I stopped and waited a bit & was worried about Steve, he's a very good rider & should have been close. I decided to back track in the dark all alone to find Steve. Being able to reach Drew by phone made a potentially bad situation turn out fine. I may have to look into a Scala system.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #103
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
I knew Steve had ridden the trail before & incorrectly assumed he knew the way.... I decided to back track in the dark all alone to find Steve. Being able to reach Drew by phone made a potentially bad situation turn out fine. I may have to look into a Scala system.
You did the right thing Buddy. Had I not reached Drew on the phone, I probably would have hooked back up with you, in light of your backtracking. I was at that intersection for quite a while, but only because I had indeed gotten in touch with Drew rather quickly after arriving at that spot. Also, had I ridden about 200 yds south, I would have hit that big stock pond which I instantly recognized from our previous trip.

The bike to bike communication broke down quickly due to the rugged terrain. Once a mountain gets between you, it interferes. Of course, that can also work to our advantage in that when connection is lost we can adjust our pace to get reconnected, which we sometimes do.

All in all it worked out fine. I wasn't too worried because I had lots of fuel so knew if I headed generally south and east I'd pop out somewhere!
Old 10-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #104
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Dead reckoning is the best gps I've ever used in the outback! Never failed me.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #105
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Dead reckoning is the best gps I've ever used in the outback! Never failed me.
I concur.

Ride 'til I'm out of gas or dead. I reckon that's always worked for me.

-dod