View Results: Fairness or expediency?
Wait your turn in line, rude dog! 28 28.87%
Bikes are small, cars are big. Life is unfair. 69 71.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #46
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
I have been pulled over by the police TWICE for doing this in the county I live in here in Florida. Both times were several years ago, I don't want to try for a 3rd time.

No tickets, but I thought one cop was going to have a fit - he was livid ! He was stressing the danger factor, as well as the fact that it is illegal to do it.

I admit, it will rub me the wrong way when a CAR does the same thing when I am the lead vehicle, and squeezes by on my right side - no cops seem to find anything wrong with THAT situation.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #47
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
I have been pulled over by the police TWICE for doing this in the county I live in here in Florida. Both times were several years ago, I don't want to try for a 3rd time.

No tickets, but I thought one cop was going to have a fit - he was livid ! He was stressing the danger factor, as well as the fact that it is illegal to do it.

I admit, it will rub me the wrong way when a CAR does the same thing when I am the lead vehicle, and squeezes by on my right side - no cops seem to find anything wrong with THAT situation.
Keep in mind that LEOs are trained to perform administrate tasks and many don't study or try to better their understanding of the statutes in their spare time. Most perform their duties based on what they were taught years ago and what they feel is appropriate, rather than what the actual letter of the law dictates.

I'd politely ask for more information about where to find the statute that prohibits this. More likely, I'd go through the statutes myself to find a specific reference proving or disproving the officer's claim.

Often it comes down to someone's interpretation of a vaguely written statute.

On a daily basis I see instances of cars stopping behind a left turner when there is room to pass on the right. Here it is perfectly legal to pass a stopped car on the right. Yet, these sheeple queue up, waiting for the left turner. Infuriatingly, some will make as if they are going around, blocking the path for others, then sit and wait.

I particularly love those control freaks. "I don't feel comfortable doing what seems obvious and correct enough for me to have begun to do, and, I'm not going to let anyone else do it either." Nice.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #48
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluklowskli View Post
You're sitting in your car at a stoplight, waiting to turn right because a car in front of you is going straight and there's no turn lane. Your blinker is on. A motorcyclist passes between you and the curb, and turns right.

Rude? Unfair? Or acceptable, if the room is there?
If filtering is legal and normal, it might be dangerous, but acceptable.

If filtering is not legal and/or the norm, it's rude, dangerous, and illegal.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #49
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
while there may be situations that it would be o.k. In the parameters of the O.P. question i assume the rider would be in the same lane as the car.
in that case it's an a-hole move, wait your turn like everyone else. to those that say they are helping traffic flow, i say bull. if that's the case lets all drive however and wherever we think is best. I can't believe how self important some of you think you are.

oh wait, didn't some riders try that just recently in new york?!
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #50
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post

oh wait, didn't some riders try that just recently in new york?!
No some shitheads in New York tried to be shitheads, and they succeeded.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #51
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
On a daily basis I see instances of cars stopping behind a left turner when there is room to pass on the right. Here it is perfectly legal to pass a stopped car on the right. Yet, these sheeple queue up, waiting for the left turner.
Yes, but a person turning left with a signal IS a different scenario than what was originally posted.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #52
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Basically, a "delayed green" was something used before the "left turn arrows" and left turn lanes came into common practice. In a delayed green, one direction of traffic would get the green before the other direction, allowing the traffic getting the green first to turn left. There would be a "Delayed Green" sign posted on the arm holding the traffic light. The delay would be something like 5-seconds, allowing a couple cars to turn left before the opposing traffic started moving. Obviously, this was not something for real high traffic. I used to see this in my hometown on streets near downtown that had no left turn lane. But, it's been thirty years since I've seen one.
In my hometown (in central Massachusetts), there's a "delayed green" at the main intersection (with the sign and everything).
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #53
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
Yes, but a person turning left with a signal IS a different scenario than what was originally posted.
The subtle use of an example as support for the preceding paragraphs is often lost on some people.

Thank you for illustrating this.

The point being that a cop telling you it is against the law probably cannot be depended upon, in and of itself. People (including cops) usually believe what they think makes the most sense, not necessarily what is factual.

You get what you inspect, not what you expect. Look it up for yourself if you want to know for certain.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 12:48 PM
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #54
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 494
There should be a third option. Why is it just about bikes? In Philly everyone does this in cars too. Just the norm.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #55
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
In my hometown (in central Massachusetts), there's a "delayed green" at the main intersection (with the sign and everything).
They have completely disappeared in my part of The Country.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #56
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean

Oddometer: 73
I've been pulled over, and ticketed, for "unsafe passing."

That being said, traffic laws are written and enforced by and for people with no imagination....and/or people who never read Nietzsche or Machiavelli.

If the road was supposed to be like waiting in line at the supermarket, they really screwed up when they wrote the traffic laws.

If the road was supposed to be safe, they really screwed up when they wrote the traffic laws.

If the road was supposed to be efficient at moving volume, they really screwed up when they wrote the traffic laws.

If the traffic laws were intended to be obeyed by drivers, they OBVIOUSLY really screwed up when they wrote the traffic laws.

If the traffic laws were intended to induce violations, generate revenue and employ police officers, they did an outstanding job when they wrote the traffic laws.

For most people, the experience of driving is THE most compelling cause of disrespect for law and for solipsistic behavior. Once you realize this about everyone around you, things really start to make sense, and driving gets a whole lot safer and easier.
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #57
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
I do it in my truck as well as the bike.

Often, cars will sit behind the straight going traffic, even though there is about 10 feet of space to turn. Rather than wait for the green light, I'll just head on through. About half the time, the car that was waiting will follow me through once they see that there is enough room.

As far as the legality of it: I think it is legal if nobody has their turn signal on. I have been told by traffic school teachers as well as current Highway Patrol officers that it is OK to pass a car blocking traffic as long as you don't leave the "traveled roadway", so just don't drop a tire off the pavement.

If someone has their right turn signal on, passing them on the right would be illegal.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #58
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Most perform their duties based on what they were taught years ago and what they feel is appropriate, rather than what the actual letter of the law dictates.
So you want every LEO to strictly follows the laws? No more, no less?

Be careful with that. I know that inventing a law that doesn't exist is one thing and giving someone a break about a real law if the situation allows it is another. But if you/we really ask the cops to apply the laws by the book, we better don't whine if we get ticketed for "speeding" at 61mph in a 60mph zone.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #59
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post

As far as the legality of it: I think it is legal if nobody has their turn signal on. I have been told by traffic school teachers as well as current Highway Patrol officers that it is OK to pass a car blocking traffic as long as you don't leave the "traveled roadway", so just don't drop a tire off the pavement.
In this case, crossing a fog line with a tire wouldtechnically be illegal too, at least in some places.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #60
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
In this case, crossing a fog line with a tire wouldtechnically be illegal too, at least in some places.
It is OK in Cali as long as you don't leave pavement,

This gets me thinking about another little detail. If car number 1 is turning left blocking traffic, it is OK to go around. What if there is another car behind them waiting to go straight? Something tells me that would be pushing it, and likely get me an "illegal pass" ticket.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote