ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
dr350maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Dirty Face 2014 pre-ride (pics)

Yesterday two of us that lay out the course did some scouting for next year's event.

As expected we ran in to some snow along Entiat Ridge. Fall colors were in abundance too.

We are headed back out to ride today in about an hour. It's cold this morning again.... 41 degrees at 9:45am.

dr350maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

Oddometer: 512
Jealous....

I peeled off a nearly 160mi loop last Sunday out that way- first ride since the '13 DF in fact. Shady Pass, being in the shade, was all iced up but the rest was high-qual, no-dust riding.
Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,115
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Lumberjeff
River City MC

Oddometer: 84
Getting excited already. We will be there two up on the 990 again. Thanks for the work and dedication that you put into this event.
1979 VESPA P125X/166cc
I'M THIRSTY FOR A HARMON BEER
Lumberjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
tomasinator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Is it too early to ask if there are going to be A and B routes in 2014?

Has there ever been a Dirty Face Dual Sport where the route to Ardenvoir involves riding down the Mad River singletrack trail from Maverick Saddle all the way to Ardenvoir?
tomasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
dandxrman
Stop! Hold the Phone

Oddometer: 68
Haven't been able to do this event since 09, so I am counting down the days until next June.

Nice late season pics.

later

danny
Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
Was living in Chelan this summer and wanted to attend this years but missed out. I'll be damned if I missed 2014.

Thanks for your hard work and time laying out a track for next year
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
dr350maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've been doing it since 1997. Back then there were TWO events - June and Late July or Early August.... that was back when there were only 40-60 people at the event. The late event had some stellar single track sections. THe club was able to use the trail system back then because there were a small number of riders.

A common question that comes up is "why doesn't the course have any trails from the trail systems?"
Answer: The large number of entrants, and the fact that a high percentage of them would ride the A course sections, result in a huge impact on the trails. It's like having 10 seasons worth of riding all in one day. It causes significant amount of trail concerns for the USFS.

Any A Course sections we now have are old overgrown 2 track roads that sometimes are just a single track trailer that dodges between the brush and trees.

It's been an interesting evolution of riders and bikes since 1997, at all the DS events I used to attend.
Back then (late 90s, early 2000s) DR350S / SEs dominated the field of bikes. There was always a selection of XR250L and 650L, Yamaha XT 225, 350, 600. There'd always be a few KTM LC4 (400, 620 EXC) and a number of older red Honda XRs from the Wenatchee and Cashmere area would always show up at the Dirty Face event. Back then it was called the Lake Wenatchee Dual Sport.

The majority of the riders were more interested in the easy course, and only a small number of people would ride the hard course options.

When the DRZ400 came along, it started to replace all the DR350s... then in 2000 when there was an obscure option to plate a "dirt" bike, people started doing that, which brought various off road Hondas and KTMs in to the mix of bikes, and they were always ridden by more advanced riders.

dr350maniac screwed with this post 06-01-2014 at 08:05 AM
Old 10-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
dr350maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasinator View Post
Is it too early to ask if there are going to be A and B routes in 2014?
There will be some A sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasinator View Post
Has there ever been a Dirty Face Dual Sport where the route to Ardenvoir involves riding down the Mad River singletrack trail from Maverick Saddle all the way to Ardenvoir?
The course has never gone down the Lower Mad River trail. It has gone through some of the Upper Mad River trail systems though - in 1998, 99 and probably in 2000. The late ride in 2000 was the only one I've missed since 1997. I skipped that event because it was REALLY HOT in the area that year, and all my riding buddies skipped it too. They skipped it due to the heat, so I skipped due to them skipping it, and due to the heat. I've heard that there was about 70 miles of single track that event.

See my previous post about trail usage.

We talked about the Lower Mad River trail yesterday. with special permission, and a limit on the number of riders on the trail, it might be a possibility, BUT, until there's a bridge installed at the river crossing at Maverick Saddle, there's no way to run that trail that early in the season, event or non event. Occasionally I scoot down to the trail head and look at the river in June - it's deep and running fast. There's no way I'd want to cross it. If I can find some pics of it when I get home in a few weeks, I will post them. Down low, there's places where the river can be up on the trail too.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
dr350maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned1 View Post
Jealous....

I peeled off a nearly 160mi loop last Sunday out that way- first ride since the '13 DF in fact. ..
Sadly, this is the first time I've been out riding since the 2013 DF event too.
It's been a crazy summer at home - busy doing other things, and riding took a back seat.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
dr350maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

At Sugarloaf Lookout:

Looking across to Tyee Ridge, where there's another fire lookout.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,727
howdy Doug.. rob here.. long time no ride with

I haven't done the Dirty Face in a few years.. thinking I am going to attend this year.. let us know when you guys get up for pre-ride..

looking forward to it
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #13
dr350maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
howdy Doug.. rob here.. long time no ride with

I haven't done the Dirty Face in a few years.. thinking I am going to attend this year.. let us know when you guys get up for pre-ride..

looking forward to it
It's been a long time since our paths crossed hasn't it? 4 years or so I think.

I had pretty much abandoned my DRZ after the ride last fall. I didn't even wash it after the ride. :-(

I haven't check in here in months.

We did some pre-riding again yesterday. It's been quite a few years since it was as dry and dusty this early in the season as it was yesterday. My air filter needs cleaned! in years past I have done 2 or 3 pre-rides on the same air filter.

What's even more unheard of is me riding without a jacket, which I did yesterday. Yes, it was pretty warm everywhere we went. Even coming back across Entiat Ridge / Sugarloaf Lookout area at 7pm, I was OK without a jacket. It was a little chilly, and if we'd have stopped I'd have put on a jacket, but it wasn't cold enough to warrant stopping just to put it on.

We logged out some of the A sections, which took longer than anticipated because my saw got pinched in a tree.

Unsure of the total mileage of the course. We have the course route picked out, but it's not all roll charted yet.

dr350maniac screwed with this post 06-01-2014 at 08:04 AM
Old 06-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
DF DS Registration

This will be at least my 6th time riding the event but the first time I haven't received a registration confirmation (nor has my riding buddy). I sent it in around April 9th but the cheque hasn't even been cashed. I sent an email to Barbara yesterday but haven't heard back yet.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #15
RX2RIDE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
2days left
RX2RIDE is online now   Reply With Quote