User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #4681
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,844
Here I am up on the oil rig. Kevin wanted me to get in there and help the guys pull up the pipe. One of the guys showed me he lost his finger doing it. I wanted no part of it thank you very much. I was ok with just watching.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #4682
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Albania

My mom told me - if you don't have anything nice to say, then to keep ypur mouth shut.
But she also didn't want me riding motorcycles either......... so of course I developed selective hearing.

I was only in Albania for a couple of days, but it left an impression. I drove about halfway thru the country and let's just say I developed some opinions about Albanians

First off, if you want to move to Albania and need a job, I can highly recommend three things that I am sure are in high demand

Mercedes Benz dealership sales (about half the cars there are MB's, many of which were stolen. There is a saying here........."come visit Albania, your car is already here)

Second, auto body shop

And Third, mortician

Yes, there are some really bad drivers here.
But there are different types of bad drivers in the world
In Peru and Bolivia, they seem clueless and oblivious.
In Albania, the best word to describe their driving is reckless. I had cars tailgating me only 2 meters from my back tire. They also drive fast but without skill.

And the people seem rude. I am sure not all of them are but they are anything but helpful.

I am making some general statements, and I am sure there are some good people there. But some things I saw put me off. For example, in the airport, in the line for passport control, at first there was a long yet single file line but the Albanians just cut to the front to make a long wide line. There is this "me first" attitude. I finally got fed up with it and gave them a taste of their own medicine. When someone tried to cut in front of me, they got body checked in to the boards or their heels stepped on. Sorry, but two can play it at that game.

I am looking forward to going back to Albania. In any event, I have to. That s where my bike is. It is kind of a pretty country with a long coastline and some high mountains in the interior. And I want to see if my first impression leaves a lasting impression.

If there are any Albanians viewing my RR, understand it was my first impression from just 2 days there and it doesn't mean it is all true. It was just my own personal observation.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #4683
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
You can do a lot to minimize the odds, but there's still some factors you can't control. For me it's the damn animals that freak me out, you just can't predict the behaviour - a dog is one thing, it's make you feel bad, but a deer...it can make you and your motorcycle feel REALLY bad.

When time comes to replace your helmet, consider a white one. Everytime I'm riding in a group, I can pick out the guys with white helmets above all the other riders. Something about a white dot moving against a background, really catches your eye, and that's what you want - to be seen.
I used to have a white helmet and I agree with you. But white is so boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #4684
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lima

I flew out of Europe and ended the Europe leg when I did to celebrate Kathe's birthday in Lima.
Here we are at dinner

Old 10-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #4685
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Later that night, we went to Kathe's grandparents house for cake

Here's a shot with her parents

And here she is with some of her cousins.
Which one do you think is the cutest? I know who I like best

Old 10-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #4686
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
yes, I ran over a cat once on my R1150R ... and I really do like cats ! ... it happened all too fast .... but they have 9 lives so I always hoped he made out ok.

sorry if we got off on the wrong foot, but I do find your story very entertaining and informative - your wine sidelines very were much appreciated, sadly you may not have those in muslim world.

I find your RR as good as Jay's (the fellow from Chicago/India) who is chilling in New Delhi I think .... great adventure, well documented !
Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!
What do you mean AS good???
Old 10-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #4687
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Barakuda quote

Today i went to Mr`s TT shop to buy a side stand extender, once in the shop I couldnt help but notice that the owner and the guys that work there had a very sad look in their faces.
Then I was talking to the owner and he told me that a very good friend of him, a rider too, was killed this morning, he was hit by a truck whose driver lost control of the thing, it was a front hit. We are talking about a guy that travelled al thru SA in his bike, but today he was driving his x5, ironic isnt it?
Im not saying that you should ride like an idiot, in fact a take it very seriously when I ride my bike, AGATT is a must and im 110% alert and focused on what im doing knowing that in every corner there is a stupid driver that wants to kill me, really, thats best.

In the other hand i know that destiny cant be dodged and that is what i say to every one that talk to me about how dangerous is ridng a bike.

Yeah, just goes to show you, when it is your time, it's your time.......whether it's a BMW X5 or BMW GS
RIP my moto friend
Old 10-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #4688
fasttortoise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Yo Ed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
My mom told me - if you don't have anything nice to say, then to keep ypur mouth shut.
But she also didn't want me riding motorcycles either......... so of course I developed selective hearing...

I was only in Albania for a couple of days, but it left an impression. I drove about halfway thru the country and let's just say I developed some opinions about Albanians...

And the people seem rude. I am sure not all of them are but they are anything but helpful...

I am making some general statements, and I am sure there are some good people there...

If there are any Albanians viewing my RR, understand it was my first impression from just 2 days there and it doesn't mean it is all true. It was just my own personal observation.
Ed-

Your critics have trained you well. Call it like you see it and leave out the qualifications. Maybe Albanians really are assholes! Most people realize you are describing YOUR experiences and won't take offense.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #4689
m&p products
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Just so you know: I traded in my X5 for Cayenne S this week! Love it !!! Stay safe and have fun!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #4690
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,615
Laugh

Quote:
lucky sombish!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
Old 10-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #4691
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&p products View Post
Just so you know: I traded in my X5 for Cayenne S this week! Love it !!! Stay safe and have fun!
Wow!
Sounds like and early Bday present.
Happy Bday!!!!!!

One question.........why not the turbo?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #4692
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
lucky sombish!
Hey.......don't call Kathe a sombish!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #4693
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttortoise View Post
Ed-

Your critics have trained you well. Call it like you see it and leave out the qualifications. Maybe Albanians really are assholes! Most people realize you are describing YOUR experiences and won't take offense.
It was bound to happen.
It is just an evolution that can't be helped.
Like Arnold Swartzenhagger
He started out as our Governor with all the right intentions. He wanted to cut out the fat in the bureaucracy but the teachers union and the Indians lashed back at him.
Unfortunately, he had to soften his position to try and make everyone happy.
But the truth is, you can't make everyone happy.
So I am just focused on myself right now.

Posting my shit on the walls made me laugh and I hope it made a few others too.
And my experience with the Albanians was not so good but I just wanted to be clear that my opinion was based upon a small sample size and when I go back, I hope to find a that my feelings have changed
Old 10-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #4694
Shapi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
When ya gotta go.........you gotta go. No time to make it to the bathroom.

When they say throw shit against the wall to see what sticks, I dont think it was meant to be taken literally! LOVE IT.
There used to be a web site called ratemypoo.com you should post id it still exists
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #4695
krucymucy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
That first impression will stay as it is, unless if they totally change over winter :)
Closed Thread