WHYNOWTHEN
where are the pedals?

Oddometer: 558
In!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #32
SurfnnRide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I can relate to this RR being a lifelong surfer who has chased waves all over central and south america.

I wish you all the best and I know you're going to score some awesome waves. You might be a bit opposite the normal swell season but you'll get waves regardless.

I am leaving in 5 days for a 33 day ride through Africa with fellow ADV'er Mennleo. Maybe we'll run it each other?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924244

Hope to see you down in the South Africa area. Maybe we can share some waves at JBay or in Durban.

Keep the rubber down and if you see a couple guys on a BMW1150GS and a KTM950SE say hi!

Josh
Old 10-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #33
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 372
Man, I am SO in!

It's hard to cut ties, that's for sure. I never made it- 31, and ever since I graduated college I've been slaving to get out from under the debt load. First plan for when I'm free? Exactly this.

Keep posting, we poor shmucks who haven't slipped the leash yet are taking careful notes...
DustyRags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #34
flyingdutchman177
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,408
details

I want to take the same route so please give details about border crossings in each country
Thanks and good luck
flyingdutchman177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #35
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

Oddometer: 216
A Bumpy Start

A few eyes turn your way when sprinting at top speed through an airport. The effect is compounded when the terminal track star is wearing giant motorcycle boots and a white power-ranger-esque armored jacket. Such was the scene as I bolted from gate D17 to back to gate A11 in the Dallas airport knowing that my wallet holding all of my bank cards and drivers license had been left on my connecting fight which was about to leave the gate. I slammed into to the counter of gate A11 with beads of sweat running down my temples and was greeted by a thinly mustached attendant who dismissively informed me that the plane had just left for Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Fantastic. I turned around and accelerated back up to top speed hoping to get back to D17 in time to catch my flight bound for London. I made it with 6 minutes to spare Ė just enough time to give my contact information and a heartfelt plea to the airline attendant to have someone in Jackson Hole find my wallet and forward it on to me. I got on the plane bound for London, with no money. If youíve ever tried to get bank cards replaced in a foreign country youíll appreciate my concern, as itís not so easy or quick. Iíve never tried to drive a motorcycle around in a foreign country without a driverís license, but I imagine that could also create problems. Being the last person to board the plane, I got the front emergency exit seat, with plenty of legroom so that I could worry in comfort all the way across the Atlantic.

Massive screw-ups on my part aside, leaving home is hard this time because thereís a lot to leave behind. There is the usual anxiety of quitting a job, giving up a place to live, and all of the familiarity and feeling of security that come with those things. Not knowing exactly where Iím headed or what comes next doesnít really bother me because thatís part of the point of leaving in the first place. Itís an antidote to the mental atrophy that can be inspired by daily routine. What does give me pause is leaving the people and work that I care about behind. It crept up on me, finding how much I valued the relationships in my life and feeling like I was doing something useful every day that people relied on, not to mention earning enough money to buy anything I could really want or need. I live in a beautiful place and Iíve been really happy. New marriages and new babies seem to spring up every other week amongst my close friends and family. All of this feels like a good phase of life to be moving into, but Iíve never been able to put away some daydreams, and finally the daydreams won out over everything else. I didnít have this problem when I became a vagabonding surfer 15 years ago. Life was transient, relationships and jobs came and went in fluid fashion, which suited me just fine.

Even with life taking on slightly more complexity now at 37 than it did at 22, Iím still a minimalist at heart. All of my possessions still fit into my truck. I was surprised how easily they all fit, given that 6 surfboards occupy most of the space under the camper shell. Furniture evaporated on the lawn next to a sign marked FREE, the same way it came into my life. Iíve lived as though I may need to pick up and go at a moments notice. I think that Iíve just always just liked feeling as though that were the case. As I sit in my comfy seat bound for London, waves of excitement are mixed with the need to keep reminding myself that motoring around the world for a while looking for waves to ride is what I really want to do, even if it feels a bit different now having moved out of the realm of daydream and become my new daily routine, bumps and all.

garnaro screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 06:48 AM
garnaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #36
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

bike shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydarock View Post
Great stuff so far. We all like hearing about the bike prep as much as the ride. I had to re-read your earlier post...is the bike already in England where you're starting? Or...are you shipping it there...or what? I'd like to hear the details.

More details of bike prep and grear are here:
http://bugsonmyboard.org/moto/

I shipped the bike from Oakland to the UK with Kingstown Shipping. The agent in Oakland is called Alladin Shipping. Total cost was about $900.
It took about a month to arrive, 5 days to get unloaded from the container and clear customs and had to drop it off 2 weeks ahead of time, so I had a real time crunch to get all of the bike preparation done in time since I'd just come off of another ride around the western US:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post22453196

When I first thought up this idea, I'd considered buying a bike and prepping in the UK, but this way way much better. Firstly, the DR650s are really uncommon there, and secondly I really needed the time to get to know the bike as I'm new to motorcycles entirely.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #37
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnnRide View Post
I can relate to this RR being a lifelong surfer who has chased waves all over central and south america.

I wish you all the best and I know you're going to score some awesome waves. You might be a bit opposite the normal swell season but you'll get waves regardless.

I am leaving in 5 days for a 33 day ride through Africa with fellow ADV'er Mennleo. Maybe we'll run it each other?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924244

Hope to see you down in the South Africa area. Maybe we can share some waves at JBay or in Durban.

Keep the rubber down and if you see a couple guys on a BMW1150GS and a KTM950SE say hi!

Josh
That would be cool to catch another surfer on the road...
I should be in the goods with surf seasons, in fact its how I planned the timing. I'll be in Morocco and Senegal for November and December and plan to arrive southern Africa to surf through May, June, and July.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #38
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
This is sweet. This is what I want to do, except with my climbing gear instead of a surfboard.

I'm in. Keep the good stuff coming. I enjoy your writing.
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #39
Elusion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
What a great trip idea. What did your girlfriend think?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #40
moto rrad
ADV n00b

Oddometer: 78
Man oh man, this is the good stuff. Best of luck, and I'll be following the travels
Old 10-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #41
trevhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Loving it, in. Happy travels.
trevhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #42
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 303
Definitely in for the ride. I'm curious to see the board rack too, when you get a chance.
Prettyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #43
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusion View Post
What a great trip idea. What did your girlfriend think?
The girl wants to come join the journey at somewhere along the way - maybe Tanzania. That is if I still have a girl by then
Old 10-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #44
akdora
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I.ll be watching.
Good luck and be safe travels.
akdora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #45
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
In, have fun and good luck