User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #61
TheAdmiral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
Great Thread

Don't know how I've missed this thread. You've ridden to and through a lot of cool places. I really love the covered bridges and the cool railroad stuff. Those are my favorites, but all of the places are cool.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #62
NHTOTEROAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir. Waffles View Post
Spent the weekend with a bunch of VStroms up in Maine to doing some leaf peeping. What a great group of people. Looking forward to riding with them again.
I may have seen you all on Saturday 10/5/13. At around noon, were you in Errol, NH at L.L. Cote? Saw a bunch of VStroms and a green Tiger. I was on my KLR.
About an hour earlier I had been through Jefferson Notch myself.

NHTOTEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #63
Sir. Waffles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTOTEROAD View Post
I may have seen you all on Saturday 10/5/13. At around noon, were you in Errol, NH at L.L. Cote? Saw a bunch of VStroms and a green Tiger. I was on my KLR.
About an hour earlier I had been through Jefferson Notch myself.
Yep, that was defiantly us. I don't believe I saw you though, as I was a little busy buying some 30 amp fuses. I had blown my main fuse earlier that day and only had one spare.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:38 AM   #64
Sir. Waffles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Catching Up

The year 2014 had a rough start for me, at the end of April I ended up well less than vertical. A combination of things cause the Tiger and I to hit the ground. Checking myself out I was pretty damn sore but nothing was severely broken. My gear had done it's job. My jacket had taken most of the beating as I landed on my left side and slid/rolled on the road. My helmet had missed impact but hit the road as I skidded down the pavement completely marring the visor. The bike was pretty banged up too. The crash bar's took a hard hit with a nice scare on the tank, a chunk of the cockpit fairing gone, a mirror and peg gone, the seat had ejected itself, and my top case had some nice battle wounds too.

After determining both I and the bike was suited for forward motion I made my way back to camp a half hour away in Connecticut. Knowing I was gonna be extremely sore in the hours to come and unable to think of a good alternate solution for getting back to northeast Mass. I decided to pack up camp and ride back home some 125+ miles away. Getting home proved to be quite the challenge with a very sore left wrist/ arm and the firm clutch lever on the Tiger. When I hit the slab things were going pretty good considering everything that happened until I hit Providence, RI. Not sure why at that time I decided to head home through Providence other than it was the shortest route on my GPS but I ended up in stop and go traffic for half an hour.

When I got home Mrs. Waffles was out doing charity work and I didn't want her in a panic for the next 3+ hours. I decided to shower as it had been a couple days and relax till she got home. Trying to take off spandex and put clothes on by myself proved to be the hardest thing I had done all day. Somewhere after that I figured I should probably go get check out at the ER too. Not really wanting to drive myself, as I've done that before with a standard transmission. Tying to drive home with a sling on is somewhat difficult. I polity asked Mrs. Waffles later which was greeted with many questions.

Needless to say the people at the ER had a hard time understanding what happened. I was in a motorcycle accident somewhere between RI and Connecticut, then road to camp, packed up my things, headed home 125+ miles away, took a shower waiting for my Mrs. to get home to take me to the ER. After meeting half the staff, getting some x-rays, I met the doctor who I also explained the whole story too. Somewhat disbelieved she looked over me like a kid hiding some candy under his clothes and felt me up like a teenage boy. All in all I had no broken bones but had come as close as possible in my right shoulder, arm, wrist, hand and the left shoulder was also pretty traumatized. They sent me home with some pain pills.

Sounds pretty good right? No, so I get a call the next morning from the hospital that is basically like, "Hey, you know our orthopedic doctor was busy last night. He looked at your x-rays this morning and you broke your arm. Can you come in about 30 minutes from now?" After visiting the orthopedic, I broken the end of my elbow and I didn't need a cast as all was in place. Instead I was in a sling for a couple weeks and told to keep using the arm for light tasks so I didn't lose my range of motion. So wear your gear.

Some of the damage. You don't really see how messed up the crash bars are unless you really look it over or from a front view.

Sir. Waffles screwed with this post 02-02-2015 at 06:20 PM
Sir. Waffles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #65
Sir. Waffles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Heading South

After a not so great start to the season, some of my trips in the works were up in the air. I wasn't really able to ride with everything that happened, and my grip and strength was limited in my left arm. I already had plans to head down to West Virginia with a group of friends the week before Memorial Day and to finish up at the Bennington Triumph Bash back in sounthern VT.

So with my goal for getting back on the bike set, I started getting thing back to working order. My helmet had made some contact with the ground and I didn't really want to buy a replacement so I sent it back to Shoei. They have an awesome program where if you send them your helmet they will inspect it and ship it back to you for free, no questions asked. Shoei gave it a good bill of health so I went on with replacing the visor. Also on order was new tires, jacket, replacement peg, cockpit fairing and parts to patch up my top case.

With everything patched up, I headed out for the first time on the bike in over a month. Another rider and I were meeting up for a wet ride to Burlington, VT. We stayed the night with another rider before heading out the next day. When the morning came we were met with more rain as we road through the Adirondacks to Ithaca, NY. As the day went on the rain was off and on but the sun never showed. We made camp for the night at Buttermilk Falls State Park, we had 5 Tigers and every version except for the Explorer.

The next day the rain had lifted but the clouds continued to hang around for awhile. Waiting for the others to get up a few of us explore the falls.

We had a lot of ground to cover over the next two days and didn't stop much. Being the weekend before Memorial Day weekend also meant that many people were out vacationing as the weather had finally started to get better. Needless to say my confidence had taken a big hit from the beginning of the season and my wrist was also bothering me on our long days. I was often falling behind and didn't have much time for pictures.

I did have time for a flat tire! We just got off the a stretch of highway and were making our way up a fun mountain pass, half way things started to fell pretty squirrely for me so I was backing off. A 100 yards or so latter I knew something was up and saw a shady gravel pull off and decided to check things out. Pulling off I somehow was able to find the only deep gravel in the whole spot and promptly drop the bike. My rear tire was flat and I didn't have the strength on my left side to keep it falling over. The car coming up the hill at the time pulled over and helped me right and move it farther off the road.

Letting him know I was all set I started to repair the flat, waiting for the rest of the group to turn around. The man who helped me pick the bike up told the others on the other side of the mountain that I had drop my bike, not that I had a flat. They raced back over the mountain thinking I had crash or something and were rejoiced to find me with just a flat tire. Also having a good laugh at me as I have my bike in pieces alongside the road. I still managed to find a shady spot to fix my tire.

That night we would stay at Mark's parents house arriving a bit later than we had planned before splitting up the next day. Three of us would continue onto southeast Ohio and the others slabbing it back home to VT. We started out on the Skyline drive and BRP before cutting over to WV.

That night we had one of the most interesting nights of the trip. We were staying in Summit Lake in Monongahela National Forest and had heard from others there were bears in the area lately. Without a doubt later that night Yogi and his friends visited us a few time during the night. The sounds of the ranger shooting them with bean bags waking us up a few times too.

The next day we were met with rain again making out way into southeast Ohio. We stayed at my families place that night and the next day road back through WV and into PA. We ended up in Forksville, PA stopping at the general store for dinner.

That night we practically had the campground to ourselves and a good fire from all the wood people had left from the weekend. The next day we road through PA and the Catskills, I split off from the rest of the group to do some family stuff that evening back near the coast.

Sir. Waffles screwed with this post 02-09-2015 at 06:31 AM
Old 02-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #66
adv278
chucky

Oddometer: 6
Glad to hear you are ok and back riding.
Nice photos. I recently moved to DC after 12 years in Boston and I recognize the locations of some of your photos. good memories.
adv278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #67
Deckyon
The Raven

Oddometer: 226
Nice reports, like the text to photo ratio. Good to hear nothing was seriously damaged in your crash. I do agree, all gear, all the time.
Deckyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #68
Sir. Waffles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bennington Triumph Bash Weekend

To catch back with the others the next day I ride west again to Bennington, VT. Getting an early start I take in the sights.

View from Hogback Mountain.

Hydro-stration Pipe

Some camp stories before heading out for dinner.

We had a few bikes there for a rainy night, there was even more parked behind me.

Exploring the locate sights in Bennington. Been to the monument 3 times and still have yet to go inside.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #69
Sir. Waffles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A Hot Air Balloon Excursion..............Minus the Balloons.

If there is one thing Mrs. Waffles and I love about New England it would be Vermont. We'll take any excuse to visit and to do a little camping but getting to see some hot air balloons is just icing on the cake. Unlike the previous year we weren't able to make a 3 day weekend out of the trip but were able to get a quick overnight in with a fun dirt right home.

We start up to Quechee Saturday and head to our balloon watching spot we found last year. We are able to miss most of the traffic this way and its free. We setup shop and wait.

We waited a few hours but the balloon launch was canceled because of high winds.

Becoming more familiar with the area we take the back roads to camp and of course stop for a covered bridge along the way.

Mrs. Waffles approves.

Being a last minute trip, (as in that morning we decided to go) we just picked the closest campground we could find. It was outside Hanover, NH were Dartmouth College is located. That weekend happened to reunion weekend or something as the whole town was packed with people on the streets and the central green. They had a concert stage setup, outdoor buffets and some tents to hold the people all over campus. It was quite the spectral when you have no idea whats going on. In camp we setup at our site. Camping hillside in always fun, the picture doesn't show it well but the tent and picnic table are on the only remotely flat spot in the whole site.

The next morning we gott up bright and early to see the morning balloon launch. Leaving the cooking equipment home this time we make a pit stop for coffee along the way. It was very entertaining to hear Mrs. Waffles talk about the challenges of riding pillion with a coffee in each hand. Either way we made it and it was a beautiful morning.

Again no balloons due to wind so we head back to Hanover for some break, pack up camp, and hit the Hamster Route outside Hanover for most of the way back to Mass.

Stopped by Yankee Siege.

Sir. Waffles screwed with this post 02-14-2015 at 03:47 AM
Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #70
Deckyon
The Raven

That crane and wrecking ball should be in a movie. That is awesome!

Also, BTW, what camp chairs are you using?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #71
Sir. Waffles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
Also, BTW, what camp chairs are you using?
I have an REI Flex Lite Chair (black) and a Helinox Chair One (green). Both are the same design but the Helinox cost more and is worth the extra expense. The Helinox is was way more comfortable than the REI chair too. They use the same frame but the Helinox has a wider better shaped seating area.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #72
Sir. Waffles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mt. Washington Sunrise

A few times a year the Mt. Washington Auto Road does a sunrise drive where they open up the auto road early for people to get to the top before the sunrise. Being so far east means that the road usually opens between 3-4am and it's also a good idea to get there early as the event can be quite popular. Its been something I've wanted to do since I first went up the Auto Road.

We started out early Saturday heading up to the mountains. Planning to do any riding we wanted Saturday and leave Sunday for the ride home after seeing the sunrise.

We headed over to the Cog Railway to take a break and watch the trains go up and down the mountain.

With clouds coming in we road up Jefferson notch and head towards Gorham, NH. We got some supplies for dinner and set up camp. We took an easy that evening roasting hot dogs and hanging out around the fire as we planned to get up at 2:30 am to head towards the mountain. The road to the top opened up at 4am and we don't want to be at the end of the line.

We make our way out of camp on time and take a chilly 20 minute ride to the base of the mountain. We get there plenty early being one of the first 15 vehicles in line. Cars start lining up down the road behind us in no time. We take the opportunity to throw any more clothing we have as we hear the temps at the top without the windchill are around 30 or below degrees. Sitting in line we could see the cars in front of us work there way up the mountain and there lights getting dimmer as they went higher. Finally we got to the head of the line and start up the mountain.

It was Mrs. Waffle's first time going up and going up in the dark was a new one for me too I had the heated grips on full blast and my winter gloves but the wind was keeping things chilly for both of us. We kept working our way up the switchbacks watching the lights of cars ahead of us as they did the same. After reaching 5000ft we were in the clouds. They rolled in making the corners disappear and the car's lights some 50 feet in front of me disappear too. We made it to the top, ready to head inside and warm up until the sun started to show. Most of the time we were in the clouds and had been told that if we wanted an unobstructed view we need to stay at one of the lower pull-offs but there is no warm building to wait in at lower pulloffs. When we did get a break in the clouds it was totally worth all the effort.

After a few hours at the top we were ready to get some breakfast. We headed back down the mountain to pack up camp, get some grub, and work our way home.

Sir. Waffles screwed with this post 02-14-2015 at 03:48 AM
Old 02-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #73
Seebo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Im hooked, I've wanted to ride through New England since I bought my first bike when I was 16. You bet I'll be loading the Wee up and making a ride out there! Thanks for such an awesome RR!!!
Seebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #74
Deckyon
The Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir. Waffles View Post
I have an REI Flex Lite Chair (black) and a Helinox Chair One (green). Both are the same design but the Helinox cost more and is worth the extra expense. The Helinox is was way more comfortable than the REI chair too. They use the same frame but the Helinox has a wider better shaped seating area.
Thank you for the info on the Helix!!! Just got it today and the thing is awesome, and the larger seating area, KEY!
Old 02-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #75
Sir. Waffles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day Trippin' in Vermont

With Mrs. Waffles finishing her last residency at Vermont College of Fine Arts I'm headed to Vermont for a week of riding and vacationing with her family. Mrs Waffle's family was making the trek from Ohio to see Mrs Waffles graduate . They had rented a house outside Montpelier called, the Pie in the Sky for the week and I was head up to VT after work to check us in

I was packed a little heavy for the trip even though I was not camping. I needed clean clothes for most of this trip, plus I was loaded with all of Mrs. Waffles riding gear to take the sister in law out for a few rides. If I was thinking I would have sent the riding gear with Mrs. Waffles a week earlier when she headed to VT with the car.

I road in just and hour or so before dark that night and felt so good to be back in the country. Riding in the long shadows that night reminded me of fond summer nights back home in southeast Ohio.

With some great weather the next morning, I woke up early and headed out for my favorite kind of riding. More often then not I have rides planned out, always trying to make it to the final destination with a carefully planned route and usually end up passing a roads calling out to me to explore. That was not the case for most of this week, I headed in whatever direction looked interesting and winged it as I went along.

After getting my fix for the day, I headed back to the Pie in the Sky for a late morning breakfast.

Lama and sheep include free of charge with your rental.

Ducks and ducklings of all kinds too.

You have to watch out for this guy though.

Off the bike we did some local sight seeing, visiting some interesting places along the way.

The next morning's our time on the bike was short as we had plans off the bike to head over to the White Mountains. I was able to get someone to come along for the ride too but it didn't take much convincing.

As midweek rolled around a weather front had been hanging around so we pick the day with the best weather forecast to do a northern VT loop. Originally we were going to ride Puppy Dog from Montpelier north then head along the Canadian border to Lake Willoughby but heavy rains during the night had made the freshly graded roads muddy and slick. So we decided to head up to Burrlington and thought the lake islands.

Once me make through the islands we decided to ride east to Jays Peak and Lake Willoughby.

Found a Google Maps car, surprisingly he looked lost.

Getting close to the Pie again we start to head off payment for some dirt scenery. We did 300 miles for the day, not bad for the sister in laws first long ride.

Finally graduated, we make our way home the next day for some rest after a busy week.

Sir. Waffles screwed with this post 02-15-2015 at 03:14 AM