ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #1141
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Mm400

Just Google it and you will find the web site, If you email Travis he will get back to you. Hope you can make it sounds like its going to be a good one. AB
Old 10-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #1142
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
My 2 cents - hope this gets to you in time.

If you are in Woodstock now I would head west - not east. The mountain FDR374 is on is nice but the better riding is in the west. You are better off taking the yellow bypass labeled Crooked Road / Covered Bridge which heads west out of Mt Jackson. You go up over the mountains and then back down 259 into Bergton and into the GWNF on German River Rd. That is the best bang for the buck so to speak.. or you could jump on the track listed BRT Part 3.

Not sure what you rode at the S500 due to the permit issue - but there is some over lap on those mountains.
The permits weren't an issue for the S500... I didn't see a single park ranger (or a cop, either) all weekend. I don't mind doing some of those trails again- they were fun. Plus, I don't have the bypasses on my gps (I tried to trim parts of the BRT-mostly pavement parts).
The weather today looks like crap all day (rain and thunderstorms apparently all day). So, I decided to start a day later. I'm just trying to figure out wtf to do all day (I have my truck- just don't know where to go).
Old 10-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #1143
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
The permits weren't an issue for the S500... I didn't see a single park ranger (or a cop, either) all weekend. I don't mind doing some of those trails again- they were fun. Plus, I don't have the bypasses on my gps (I tried to trim parts of the BRT-mostly pavement parts).
The weather today looks like crap all day (rain and thunderstorms apparently all day). So, I decided to start a day later. I'm just trying to figure out wtf to do all day (I have my truck- just don't know where to go).
re: permit issue, I meant the event permit that was pulled by the USFS - of course the roads are still open to the general public.

If it were me and had the day to kill I would be drinking beers at Jaliscos

or set up a camp at Switzer Lake and read a book in my tent

or get some goretex and roll out

post up in the cat herders thread - you may be able to find some locals to hang with that don't work 9-5
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #1144
FarmBoyBrad
Crash test dummy

Oddometer: 25
Several of you have posted about the "overgrown"-ness of FR205 that connects with FR206 (Walker Mt Rd) in the Bland/Wytheville area of the BRT. I have shared on a couple of other threads and thought I would pass along on this one that my son and I made it across the entire 14 miles (give or take) in his Jeep Wrangler (well scratched edition) this past Sunday. I took a chainsaw and some limb cutters along for the ride and used them both heavily as well as snapping small branches by hand along the route. It is much more easily passable now, but is still a very demanding trail in several places and would be a chore on a large bike. I plan on going back with a dual sport group soon or with my son and more of his Jeep friends to do some more trail clearing in the next month or so and will update with more details and pics then. In the meantime, if you would like to see some pics from this Sunday's Jeep pass, here is the link to the public facebook file I posted...if you have an FB account you will have access to all the pics.
https://www.facebook.com/bigunclebra...f&notif_t=like

Brad
FarmBoyBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #1145
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmBoyBrad View Post
I took a chainsaw and some limb cutters along for the ride and used them both heavily as well as snapping small branches by hand along the route. It is much more easily passable now

Brad

Thanks Brad.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #1146
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Thanks for sending me the map. Unfortunately, things came up and I wasn't able to head down and have a go. Next year though...
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #1147
wrenchead
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I appreciate you sending me the map. Thanks for all your hard work!!
wrenchead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #1148
KentuckyKLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Fr243

Took a swing at Shoe Creek (FR243) yesterday. Extremely rough on the North end. Not a good place to be on a big bike riding solo. Everything else has been great .
KentuckyKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #1149
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyKLR View Post
Took a swing at Shoe Creek (FR243) yesterday. Extremely rough on the North end. Not a good place to be on a big bike riding solo. Everything else has been great .
Chris - thanks for the note on the gates encountered. Also saw in the photo bucket what looked like Enchanted Creek where is passes under the BRP.

Gang - Chris brought to my attention a few road closures. Here is quick overview with status:

"Road Closed – Washout" is WV61 – and has been closed since July as I understand it. The USFS says its an indefinite closure – and it may be awhile (years) given the lack of funds available. It is a long road that locals use – so I imagine it will reopen:

"Stoney Run Road (FSR 61) in Pendleton County, West Virginia is closed indefinitely to thru traffic due to storm damage and unsafe driving conditions. The closure is 4.5 miles south of the intersection with Schoolhouse Road (FSR 166) and approximately 3 miles north of the intersection with FSR 85. "

The strung together gates on FR95 due to a culvert replacement and should re-open next in 2014:

"A section of North River Road (Forest Road 95), located in Augusta County, will close for up to two months beginning September 11, 2013. The 3-mile segment of North River Road between Forest Road 85 and Forest Road 95A (Leading Ridge Road) will close to ensure the safety of the public and workers while two large culverts are replaced. There will be no through traffic during this time."
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #1150
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyKLR View Post
Its even better in the rain!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #1151
FarmBoyBrad
Crash test dummy

Hey Dave,
I would like you to send me the files when you have time please.
stangman67fb@yahoo.com

Thanks for your efforts on this and for letting so many others benefit and enjoy your labor.

If at first you don't succeed, try to look surprised!
FarmBoyBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #1152
KentuckyKLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Spent last week and part of the week before riding the Blue Ridge Trail. I ended up riding 6 days and putting a little over 1400 miles on the bike. If the weather would have been a little better, I would have loaded all the camping gear on the bike, but I ended up riding loops every day and going back to the truck at night. Even with 3 days of rain it was still a great trip. Thanks David!!!

And the rest, http://s1129.photobucket.com/user/Ke...20Trail%202013
KentuckyKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #1153
FarmBoyBrad
Crash test dummy

I stumbled upon this youtube video from a guy who calls himself vafr206 on Youtube. This video shows the lower side of Walker Mountain Road (VA forest road 206, like the guys name), he calls it Big Bend because it runs past the Big Bend picnic area near the upper end of the road (not shown in video). This takes you from the bottom (off of Little Creek Hwy) up to the big switchback at the top of the ridge, where he cuts off the camera. This shows the toughest/most technical portion of the trail/road. Here is the link to the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDCN1QVsuPY

If you watch it, let me know if you are able to keep from ducking your head or dodging to one side or the other. I couldn't. Anyway, if you haven't ridden this road yet and are thinking about it, this video will give you a great idea of how tough it is in certain spots, and what you are getting yourself into. If you stop at the Big Walker store at the upper end of it, make sure you get one of their ice cream cones. That alone is worth the trip.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #1154
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,552
Dave,
If you get around, please send me the tracks too:
ricksrdv@gmail.com
I'll make it happen next year for sure... or maybe even late fall is the weather turns around

thanks a bunch for all this work you put in!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #1155
Icecold Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Hey Cuttle! We are riding as much as we can of it starting Halloween day. I was hoping to jump off from Tracy's house but she will be away that weekend, so instead we are starting in Bland. You guys should join us.