ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #18676
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,319
Anybody know these guys?

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...s/biodome-bet/
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #18677
KTRMN8R
Sand Camel

Oddometer: 1,213
God's plan:

Where to start,... first off sorry I've not written sooner. Still wrappin' my head around it all. Quite a little story to tell & the life experience for my family recently, has left me without words these few days after his passing. Ya see,... Dad grew up in the Catskill Mountains, NY, in a small school & in a small family. Most folks home would have only known him for his ability to play a bunch of instruments from the wee Ukelele to the Great Highland Bagpipes(& practically everything in between). Two years ago he left his homeland for the Pacific Coast to bring the gospel the Lummi Indian Nation near the Canadian border in Washington state. It had been his dream to do so & in the 80's he had had a vision that the Lord would bring him back to the waters he was visiting on vacation to do so.

In mid August this year, he caught a cold that wouldn't go away & then after xrays the Doc's determined that he had Pneumonia. A few weeks later they drained 2 liters of fluid from his lungs & examined the fluid to understand the cause. On a Thursday they phoned him & let him know that they had found Cancer cells in the fluid... Being the eldest Son he rung me first whilst I printed business cards for the Carolina Surf Rod llc. debut at the Charlotte Motor Speedway for the annual swapmeet. Floored,... I cried a bit & told him I would be on my way soon as I was able, just hoping to comfort him the following week when we expected to hear the Onocologist's way ahead for possibly the next 9 months to 9 years & perhaps that they had made a mistake or that we could find out his chances of beating the disease...

I came in on that Saturday & Tom, his fellow Missionary, met me and my little family at the airort in Bellingham, WA(a very tiny stop). Dad was back to the Docs for medication & a check up. When he got home he was pulling an O2 bottle.... … ... Dad Bagpiped for 30+ years & could hold his breath past the 2 minute mark. At 57 (was not a smoker) & I just 20 years the younger(nearing 40),... I hugged him in unbelief. Embracing the old man he whispered I love you & thanks for coming. I wanted to be a good son & bear the news with him,... I didn't expect the next few days to go like they did...

We watched some of the Long Way Around documentary(I really wanted to do a long trip with Dad someday) & Sunday mornin' we went to church. Not knowing what else to do at the end of the service, I wheeled his chair down front, shaking I hulked him from the wheelchair tears streaming & choked up I motioned for the worship band to gather round & pray for the not so old, Old Man. I held him like a child & trembled some more. I prayed for him & then asked a blessing on the worship band after they had prayed for him with his fellow missionary. My little one(2 ½ his only Grandaughter) danced for him & sang,... he urged me to let her run & fuss all she wanted,... he said, “she brings life to this house” with a winded pleasing smile in dear love of his Grandchild.

Dad didn't sleep Sunday night, I didn't know,... Monday we had another appointment with a care giver plus an Xray to do. I had to hand fed him most of the day with cut food & water through a straw, whilst he bent over struggling to breath. I lifted him to get the Xrays clothed in a lead blanket they gave me. We hoped to see what his Lung fluid level looked like soon. I stayed up all day Monday & Tuesday without sleep urging him to breath & relax as I monitored both his O2 level (that hit as low as 79%, normall is 95%+) & his heartrate (that hit as high as 124, normal for him was 60). He fought for everybreath for 48 hours straight as I held his hand & stayed by his side to encourage him. We prayed a lot as he cried out to God that he was drowning in his lungs. I held & kissed him on th head & prayed some more.

The next morning(Tuesday) I told his bride that she needed to hear what I had to say,... she could no longer look after him,... & that he needed in the Hospital as soon as we could calmly gather paperwork & our selves together. All this while we called the Xray techs, Onocologist & Caregiver to prep the Emergency room (stacking cards in our favor for immediate treatment of another Lung Draining procedure)upon arrival). When we arrived we were able to wheel him back immediately & they were able to stabalize his breathing with some morphine & a larger mask with higher pressures, I figured we'd get him comfortable & worry about the Cancer report Thursday as scheaduled. We were not supposed to be visited by the Onocologist that morning, he excused my little girl out the room & gave Dad 6 weeks to live,... he had stage 4 of the most rapidly attacking cancer there is. He said the biggest problem was,... he didn't know when the 6 weeks started(later determined at first cough 6 wees prior). We cried, we prayed & then I made the hard calls to the family with the news & that the doc suggested if people wanted to see him,... they needed to start there journey soon. Another procedure was approved & they pulled 1.6 Liters out of his left lung. With a shot of Morphine it was immediate relief. We were given a room where I layed in a recliner next to Dad all Tuesday night & he rested a bit,... but not before many visits. The Elder of the Lummi Tribe(95 years old) had taken Dad as her son in recognition of his love & commitment to summer camps & activities with the little people, her Grand & Great Grand Children by wrapping him in a blanket. Though she would normally not travel due to age she came to the hospital as did many Native Brother to my Father.

(to be continued...)

God Bless & Godspeed!
KTRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #18678
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,317

I am sorry for your loss.

My prayers go out to you and your family.

God bless

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #18679
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee View Post
I do,,I do!!!!

How ya been old man??
ncTRAILBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #18680
maxjett
maxjett

Oddometer: 546
I thought I'd pass this along for this coming weekend Oct 19 and 20. Theres a memorial dualsport ride at Steel Creek Park on hwy 181 just north of Morganton. Heres the link http://carolinadualsporters.files.wo...advridepdf.pdf
There are two routes that are planned and its a mix of dirt/gravel roads and twisty paved backroads.
There are a couple of us going up Friday and to get some dualsport miles in and will probably stay at the Pineola Inn/Motel. So if anyone wants to come along with us let me know.
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #18681
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,319
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncTRAILBOSS View Post
I do,,I do!!!!

How ya been old man??
Been working and crazy family stuff from the great white north. Changing the number plate to 65 on the bike in July
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #18682
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,640
Wicked And For Something Entirely Different This Weekend

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #18683
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Yall have a good time,and keep those feet on the pegs.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #18684
KTRMN8R
Sand Camel

… the visits were a great comfort to Dad & he was deeply touched by each & every one. I got to meet someone special that Dad xalled his Big Brother “Ron Warbus” aka Uncle Ron. They basically ended up havin' a Christian worship service right there in the hospital room,... Granny(Mary Helen, the elder) played her drum & sang hymns & songs in her Native tongue that are only sang by her family. She has a voice of many waters & the presence of someone very important. When she speaks, everyone listens. Dad, though labored in breath, prayed a blessing over the people & told them “Haishka”,... which means thank you in their language. Many of them also prayed over Dad. We finally got Dad down for some rest & with a couple helps to the Lieu,... I got him to bed.

The next mornin' many nurses, folks from hospice & several missionaries came to see Dad. My brother arrived, so that was Dad's second child,... one more to go. Swil Kanim, a miraculous Lummi violinist came to see Dad. He had recently performed for the Seattle Orchestra. He was an incredible artist & after a performance for us humble hillbilly's,... joked with Dad that he had actually brought the instrument by to see if Dad would mind playing it. Dad smiled & with weary eyes & a big grin beneath an oxygen tube in his nose told him he would be honoured. He played an old hymn called Sweet Hour of Prayer with a very olde tymey feel & then stepped it up once thru into a jig version of the same song. We all clapped & it was good to have been there to see Dad play the fiddle once more. We had collectively agreed to hospice for Dad & so that afternoon we went.

Emergency room, Hospital & Hospice in 2 days,... it all happened so very quick. Young people from te Lummi Nation came by to Dad's bedside including a 13 year old girl he had been teaching the Ukelele to. What choked me up was that even the younger kids would sit by Dad's bed quietly ooking at him with the face of a 40 year old mother who was loosing a Son. No one taught them this mature notion,... & it was heartbreaking to behold. The young girl & her 2 sibblings were known as the Jefferson Sisters.

Dad had told me that the Lummi women, when they grieved pulled a voice from deep down that was indescribable, I did not expect it to be so piercing. These young girls voices could split the mightiest oak with the shear power they delivered these accapello songs with. I shuttered & cried,... unable to look at them as they sang so beautifully at Dad's bed side. Their beautiful voices echoed thru out the Hospice. I'm sure the others there makin' there own journeys home were as touched as we were. I don't know how to,...
...pure,...
...all I can say is pure. They sang with all their might, in love,... & for my old man who had spent a little time with them over the course of only 2 years. The Superbowl has never heard the talent at a half time show that these gals brought to a man who simply loved & encouraged them.

People from the mission brought food & homemade rhubarb pie. The Hospice volunteers made hot soup, cookies & fresh coffee. Dad witnessed to one of the Gals as he had been doing the nurses in the hospital,... My brother & I would make the old man as comfy as possible,... & try to look after him thru the night. He was on a trickle of morphine,... & his breathing was laboured, though he had no pain.

The next Mornin' we got one more jam session in with Dad on Uke, my brother on Mandolin, me on a Travel guitar & Dad's fellow prison chaplain on a fullsize guit-fiddle. He'd pass in & out but we carried on. My Sister flew in that afternoon. Dad had all 3 kids now. Family, Friends & Missions folks would come from all over the Continental US & several Provinces of Canada. More visits, more food. His 90 year Old Mom & Dad would be in the next day to see him I would say in his ear as I held a water straw to his lips & encouraged him to eat some fruit I had broke up for him. Got some good scottish oatmeal in his belly with a wee bit o jam for sweatner. Dad prided himself (though humble) as a highlander albeit he was a few generations from his Grandad that had come over from Scotland & had answered a call to bring the gospel to the First Nations(Native) folk in western Canada many years ago. Sis was a bit of a sweet goof but Dad told her that her laughter filled the room with sunshine. He loved all of us knucklehead kids. Dad would get one last night with all us kids(all nearin' 40) at his bedside. A couple kisses good night & failed attempt at the potty & that would be near the end of Dad's ability to communicate with us as I set my chair close to his bedside so I could hear him breath & coax him along thru his last night.

By midnight I knew he was slippin'. The caregiver came in & I could tell her concern. By 6am I was able to sit him up a bit & wet his lips with a swab. My brother & Sister did not understand what was taking place at first & when Dad's bride arrived, we had to put her at ease. Dad unable to do much more than breath,... passed away around~2:15 that afteroon surrounded by his children, wife, other family & friends,... knowin' full well where he would spend eternity,... surrendered to God's will & trusting in faith for His mercy. Friendly Laughter, Singing & funny stories of things he'd done had filled his room that day as he left us peacefully to go home.

We should all be so fortunate...

(once more, to be continued,...)

God Bless & Godspeed!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #18685
drgnslayr72
smokeater

Oddometer: 108
im praying for you
Old 10-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #18686
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,379
So I decided that I wanted to protect what is left of my hearing and had custom molded earplugs made this past weekend. Yesterday was the first day I used them. I spent the first 10 minutes of my ride trying to figure out which car was pumping way too much bass. Then, I stood up on my pegs to see through an intersection and the noise stopped. That was when I realized that the annoying bass noise was indeed the low vibrations of my own motorcycle. I rode about 30 more miles with them in, and never got quite used to it.

Anyone else had similar experiences with plugs?

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #18687
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,876
saving you hillbillys from page 2 syndrome
Old 10-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #18688
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
saving you hillbillys from page 2 syndrome
We are all out riding "something".
Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #18689
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
So I decided that I wanted to protect what is left of my hearing and had custom molded earplugs made this past weekend. Yesterday was the first day I used them. I spent the first 10 minutes of my ride trying to figure out which car was pumping way too much bass. Then, I stood up on my pegs to see through an intersection and the noise stopped. That was when I realized that the annoying bass noise was indeed the low vibrations of my own motorcycle. I rode about 30 more miles with them in, and never got quite used to it.

Anyone else had similar experiences with plugs?

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Yep, but not with the custom ones. Definitely want the customs, but haven't put the $$$$ into it yet. I'm used to using them at large/loud venues, and the bass transmission is far better than the treble. Bass and other low freq. oscillations also travel better through solids (heck, I think they travel better through everything), such as bone, etc.
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Herding drunk cats drunk. That takes it up a notch.
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #18690
KTRMN8R
Sand Camel

Thanks for listening,...

… what would happen over the next few days would amaze us all & leave us astonished. The Native people would prepare a wonderful ceremony. When Dad passed, The Elder Mary Helen went directly to the tribal councel & said that “this man was my son,... & I would like to request Wex'lium” (this means The Lodge of the Frogs). The Wex'lium building is a great cedar long house with large round-log beams 4' or better in diameter with Native carvings of diferent animals in the Totems. It is beautiful, & reserved for Native Lummi funeral services only. A Wanitum or white guy would never be honored in such a way,... this is unheard of & very, very special. Dad would have been humbled greatly, that she would call him son & ask for the Wex'lium to honor a man who had simply loved their little people(children) by volunteering at recreational days, teaching an instrument to one of them & fellowshipping as a volunteer chaplain at the Watcom County Jail or helping as a first responder type of comforter in the local community. Through this,... he was a man that was their friend. He didn't cram religion down their throats. He didn't tell them fire & brimstone scary guilt filled stories of Hell,... instead,... he just simply loved them, listened to their trials, attended many funeral serices of their own(they said he never missed one in the two years, he would sit quietly & respectfully & offer to help the Lodge caretaker afterwards with cleanup), he visited them when they were in trouble, spent time with them as an equal & helped where & when he could. Dad had no REV infront of his name, he just simply was part of their community. I think that's why they loved him & mourned his passing so.

The Tribal Council had been in conference when Mary Helen rolled her wheel chair up in their presence. One of the other Elders stopped the meeting to see what Granny had to say. She gave a beautiful testimony of how her son had helped their nation. Her voice is very powerful in presence to behold. They approved it without hesitation & went directly to the planning board to clear the schedule for the 2 day ceremony which took place a week after he was gone.

The Lummi people built a special traditional Native cedar casket (called a green casket 'cause the red cedar is pegged together & there are no nails used) with embelishments of eagles, Native symbols & crosses. Rope pulls with wooden handles would allow the honorable pall bearers to take Dad's last steps on this Earth for him. They believe, that in their culture,... the loss of a love one is more than the family can bear. We rote letters about Dad as requested so that certain folks could read them as we mourned. They would prepare 2 great feasts for us. The first day would be a clam chowder & the second would be BBQ'd Salmon steaks,... after all this people still fishes for a living. Wex'lium would be full of their songs for 2 days. People would give great accounts of how Dad had touched their lives. We would shed many tears at the beauty in which their ways honoured those who have gone on. Dad would have an open casket, a simple man in a flanel with a beard, a Buchanan tartan representing his Scottish heritage & a Lummi friendship blanket representing his acceptance into their family. We would be treated wonderfully despite our pale skin & lack of knowledge of their peoples ways. They would help us through the events by assigning young girls to lead us around various intricacies without judgement of our ignorance. We humbly complied & were deeply touched.

I could go on, but out of respect for the Lummi Nation, I know there ways are sacred,.. so I'll close with this simple account:

They Drummed Dad in on Friday singing in their Native toungue, they would worship in Hymns to God the Father the Son & the Holy Spirit, & the Bellingham Pipe Major marched Dad out Saturday afternoon & played Amazing Grace as we somberly fell parting tears after being embraced in a hug & kind words. It is their tradition that by doing these hugs,.. each one takes a little of the hurt awy, distributing it equally among the people. As Dad's casket was placed in the herse they sang once more. They have a deep connection to the Earth & nature. Their songs move on the winds & Pacific seashore & will forever remind me that God has a will & purpose for each & everyone of us,...

God Bless & Godspeed!