ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #25726
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
BMW bandaids

Let me know I will see if I can get you both a deal on skidplates and Eddy a rim. After last weekend I would think Eddy would be looking for a 950se AB
Old 10-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #25727
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,890
Tygart Flyer train derailed on Rt 250

Don't know if anyone has seen this, but Rt 250 is closed right now, up near Durbin. Logging truck ran the lights and slammed into the Tygart Flyer passenger train out of Durbin. The train derailed and flipped. 1 dead , dozens injured.

Tygart Flyer train accident

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #25728
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Don't know if anyone has seen this, but Rt 250 is closed right now, up near Durbin. Logging truck ran the lights and slammed into the Tygart Flyer passenger train out of Durbin. The train derailed and flipped. 1 dead , dozens injured.

Tygart Flyer train accident

jeff
That's really sad. Only one place I'm aware of where the tracks cross the road in that stretch. Going west (north?), the lights would be pretty obvious; not so much going east (south?) as the crossing is less obvious due to the R.H. down hill curve in the road, and the bridge immediately before the tracks.

Guy Young screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 03:07 PM
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #25729
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,043
Chester-Dakar or the Mud Road on the little bikes?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #25730
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Chester-Dakar or the Underwater Mud Road on the little bikes?
Fixed. It is still raining here. Plus isn't it bow season now? If so Sunday is better.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #25731
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Chester-Dakar or the Mud Road on the little bikes?
I would do mud road, but I'm booked up until the 2nd weekend in November.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #25732
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 653
!

Thanks to TomC and Chuck's wife for tips on how to get past the energy wall I faced earlier this week: made it through my first 10-miler today! 1 hr, 47 mins, 11 secs.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #25733
fahrenheit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Thanks to TomC and Chuck's wife for tips on how to get past the energy wall I faced earlier this week: made it through my first 10-miler today! 1 hr, 47 mins, 11 secs.
Congrats!
fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #25734
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
good job B!

Tomorrow morning supposed to meet other slow/old/fat guys at Henricus for the loop if you, or anyone else, is interested. ..and it's not raining. We're funny that way as you know. planning on 8a. I'll post up here by 7:30a if rained out.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #25735
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
good job B!

Tomorrow morning supposed to meet other slow/old/fat guys at Henricus for the loop if you, or anyone else, is interested. ..and it's not raining. We're funny that way as you know. planning on 8a. I'll post up here by 7:30a if rained out.
Thanks, and sounds good. re: rain, check your PM.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #25736
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Hey ya fuckin' fucks, I'm back! For a little while at least. In a few weeks I'm moving somewhere with much better riding. I don't think I'll miss Richmond except for the good folks I've met here. If you're reading this, you know who you are! Maybe I can get in on one more group ride if the rain will ever let up...

And for those of you who find my presence distasteful:

GFY

BTW, How many wheels are you folks gonna bend on those F800s before you give up on em? Get a real off road machine, willya?

Quote:
I learned something this weekend...You cannot actually ride a GS the way BMW advertises in the "Unstoppable" TV/magazine ads. Doing so will either bend a rim, or as I discovered by doing a little research, it will bend the rear shock bolt, bend the frame, bottom out the suspension terribly or bend the handlebars. And just for the record, it has happended to plenty of sub 200 pound guys!

So, any recommendaitons for local wheel/rims repairs? I bent both sides of my front rim (at the same location on the rim) this weekend. F800GS rims are famous for bending if deflated below street psi recommendations (32). I contacted Woody's Wheel Works in Denver and e-mailed them some pictures. They said that it's right on the border between needed a repair versus a replacement. A repair would be around $125 plus shipping. A new snazzy Excel rim (maybe in gold or silver) with super thick spokes laced up to my stock hub would be $530 ($343 parts, $186 labor). For a extra $99, they will prep the rim to be TUBELESS! Even though it would be awesome to run tubeless and have cool, MUCH stronger rims than the stock junk, $630 is nonetheless is a lot more than $125.

This is the left side of the rim. A very mild bend:

This is the right side of the rim, much worse:

This is what a snazzy Woody's Wheel might look like (Why go with a stock look if you are paying for aftermarket? LOL.")

bastardbiker screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 11:33 AM
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #25737
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Hey ya fuckin' fucks, I'm back! For a little while at least. In a few weeks I'm moving somewhere with much better riding...
Banned Bastard.. long time no ranting and raving! I've actually buzzed the carwash a couple times but you haven't been around. So where you headed?

Somewhere with better riding than Richmond? hmm that really narrows it down...
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #25738
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Banned Bastard.. long time no ranting and raving! I've actually buzzed the carwash a couple times but you haven't been around. So where you headed?

Somewhere with better riding than Richmond? hmm that really narrows it down...

Sorry you missed me! Defaultgateway has been visiting here and there, and I got to see Mark's new Supertenere the other day too. Pretty sweet. I'm headed to beautiful Seattle WA!

Between Mt Ranier and all the state forests around there I'm going to be pretty busy! Capitol state forest near Olympia is 90,000 acres full of trails, one and two track, fully open to motorcyclists year round.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #25739
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
TKC 80's on front

TKC's are decent compromise on/off road tires, but on the front the sidewalls are very soft, so when running tkc's with less than 32 lbs/in^2 + heavy bikes and rocks are a possibility puts the front rim in peril.
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #25740
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Get a real off road machine, willya?
You mean like a DRZ400 or a KTM 525? I don't know, those real off road bikes are too scary for me! Despite my recent frustration, the F800GS really is a great bike. The problem is that all big dual sport bikes are like women, you need to spend a lot of money and time on them making them happy or they will complain. Me and most of the guys I ride with are much harder on our 800's/1200's than the majority of GS owners out there. It's a compromise.