Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #1861
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,259
As far as I know, only the compass is broken in the latest versions of android. Is that not true?
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #1862
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
As far as I know, only the compass is broken in the latest versions of android. Is that not true?
That is the only problem I have discovered in 4.2.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #1863
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I would describe that as a minor inconvenience and certainly not something that would dissuade me from using it. It will get fixed as soon as I get around to buying a new nexus device so I can actually reproduce the error. My Moto is only android 4.1.2 and has no problems.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #1864
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Question., im thinking about getting the new Google nexus 7" tab which I believe is android 4.3 or 4.4. Is there any ballpark eta for having dualsportmaps work for these os if it isnt already? Psyched and I think ill also be coming over to the world of 7" tabs instead of a the garmin even on the dirt bike...!
Look at the Sero 7 Pro before you buy the nexus... It's easy to see the benefits, and big price difference.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #1865
otpipe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Just an FYI this is what the speedo and compass look like on a Galaxy S4 with Android 4.2.2. I know this has been addressed just thought I would post a pic.
Notice how all the #'s and compass points are outside of v the dial.
At least I hope it post up. By the way great app I just need to get all the wayvthrough this thread and figure out all the tricks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
otpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #1866
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,152
Maybe I've been absent a long time, but what's the deal with the fuel gauge?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #1867
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
Maybe I've been absent a long time, but what's the deal with the fuel gauge?
I do not have a fancy new phone with the latest OS. It seems it is an Android 4.2 or later problem. I've got 4.1 and have no issues. Until I can reproduce the problem I cannot fix it. So we wait...
Old 10-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #1868
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
I do not have a fancy new phone with the latest OS. It seems it is an Android 4.2 or later problem. I've got 4.1 and have no issues. Until I can reproduce the problem I cannot fix it. So we wait...
You're right, everything >4.2.x = no compass
Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #1869
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
web page down???

Crafty I tried getting on line and it won't open.

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #1870
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Just checked , down here also .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #1871
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Does this app run ok on the Droid XT1030(mini droid)?
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #1872
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Once the tracks are on the website you can sync the tracks and cache the tiles on the tablet in 4 clicks or so. Easy Peasy
Here's a thought for you...

What happens when a track just goes through the margins of a tile? Not a lot of information to the other side, right?

This is kind of a common sort of situation when doing GIS. The way we deal with it (well, there's several ways) is to buffer the point/line/area feature we're concerned with. Best way to describe it is to imagine what tiles your track would touch if it was 2 miles wide (or whatever), and then cache all those tiles.

I use mapping of the surrounding area, not just the immediate area when exploring around the mountains. One can accomplish the same thing by scrolling around along both sides of your intended track to cache before heading out into the boonies, but a user-definable track/tile buffer distance would sure be handy for at least a few of us.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #1873
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Crafty, a couple of other things to mention after a few months of use.

First, how about a user selectable color for displaying your track as you travel along? The reason I ask this is the current color just happens to match pretty much exactly the color of some of the secondary roads on NRCAN government mapping. So your track pretty much disappears when you're on those roads, until you zoom right in and see the little variances to right and left. Or just make it some color like magenta that no cartographer/GIS guy would ever dream of using.

Second point, how about the option of choosing UTM for entering point data/displaying point data in the app? I understand the app is not intended for planning and that is better done on the website. But for those of us who head out exploring with both the app and a good old paper map, it is very easy to transpose points back and forth between paper map and digital mapping software with UTM. Trying to do it with decimal degrees is a cast iron bitch - there is no grid on paper maps for decimal degrees for determining coordinates out in the field.

Some observations on how the app is working for me. I actually don't use the app much for dual sporting as I have quite the selection of pricey GPS units laying around I can make custom maps for directly out of ArcEditor and orthophotos. On the other hand, I use it almost daily at just about everything else - I don't carry those Trimble's around in my pocket all day, but I do carry my plain old previous generation Rugby Smart smartphone. Even for just whipping it out of your pocket to have a coworker show you where the flyfishing on the Big Hole was really good the other day...

And we use it on my wife's Note whenever we're travelling... great for noticing anything to either side of our route while we're wandering along that we might want to detour and take a look at. Not to mention actual navigation, of course.

And a final comment to give a thumbs up to the Samsung Rugby Smart, earlier edition, that Amazon has been selling the unlocked version for $140 lately. Not the latest and greatest chips and memory capacity, but the same waterproof ruggedness, apparently the same display and camera, etc. I've dropped mine in the river a couple of times now, had it go clattering into the riprap along a road we were surveying, etc. Like the old Timex commercial - it keeps on ticking and displaying DSM just fine.

And best of all, I can slip it into a shirt pocket with room to spare and forget I even have it with me until I need it. Minimal screen real estate for navigation, but otherwise just great.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #1874
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Jager:

If you click a track it turns HOT PINK.

UTM point entry is a fine idea. I put it on the list. I do not intend to update DSM until I get a new phone but it is literally on a list and might not get forgotten.

All y'all:
Sorry about the website issues a few days ago. I'm not sure what happened. The site was down on the 9th for about half a day it appears from the log. I got it back online on the 10th and y'all hammered it with 10 times the normal traffic. Nervous much?
Old 10-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #1875
hamdex
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Just wanted to send a big thank you for the app! It was everything I was looking for in terms of uploading .gpx files and being able to follow them with my phone. Definitely worth the $20 .

I have a Galaxy S3 so 4.1.2 has no issues.
hamdex is offline   Reply With Quote