Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #31
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,589
Awesome, I am flying into Steamboat Springs to ride a friends 990 back to GA on the 17th. Looks like I am headed for a detour.

I do have family in Phoenix. I just sent them an email clean out the guest room.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #32
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,935
Day 3 - Farther Out There All Alone

The sand and repeated washouts continued until...

I turned towards Pakoon Basin.

This road follows Pocum Wash through Black Canyon. The first 3/4 mile or so was fine, then the washouts continued.

If there were only a dozen or so of these it would be fun, but they are sometimes 50 yards apart.

Its hard to tell in the photos, but all of these washouts had a deep sandy berm on either side with rocks of all sizes and deep trenches.
Forward momentum was near impossible through some of the sand berms. After paddling through the sand with the engine racing
I had to quickly transition to controlled and balanced riding through the boulders then plow up the next berm.

Finally the road builders got tired of routing in the stream and sent the trail along the hillsides.

This was a fun section...

and beautiful.

I was hauling butt downhill on a section with scattered loose rocks occasionally getting kicked up and dinging off the skid plate
when I suddenly had one hit with a really loud clunk. "Hmmmm... That's gonna leave a mark. Maybe I should stop and check for damage.
Nah, I'm sure the skid plate did its job," I think to myself. I peer over the windshield to get a look at the front wheel and fender. No damage, so I continue...

Maybe 2 - 3 minutes later I stop to take a picture of the sign for the turnoff to Hidden Canyon.
I look down to stash the camera away when I wonder, "Where's all that water coming fro- Oh SHIT! That ain't water!"

Old 10-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #33
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Oh no, cliffhanger!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #34
MiloBramble
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Man, I love your ride reports, two reasons. One, the photography, amateur photog here and two, I live in Chandler AZ and really want to ride these rides.

Cliff hanger.....what happened?
MiloBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #35
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Cliff hanger . . . pretty deep on the AZ Strip by now . . .

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #36
AKMotorbiker
Searching for sanity

Oddometer: 223
I do love the tension and cliffhanger dramatics you put into your reports! Of course it's more intense for us reading live play by play updates.
Searching for Sanity: Newest Chapter- Death Valley
AKMotorbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #37
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,457
Had same thing happen a year or so ago, on a ride down to Lake Pleasant. First thought it was gas dripping out, then another stop & Oh no that's OIL!!!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #38
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
You and LittleWan with your cliff hangers!
Old 10-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #39
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
But with your ridiculous trials riding skills you could find even rougher stuff to entertain you up there.
You been hanging around in the trials forum?

Quote:
... "Where's all that water coming fro- Oh SHIT! That ain't water!"

Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #40
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 3 - Poor Fuel Mileage

I jumped off the bike and ran around the front wheel with a sick feeling already hitting the bottom of my stomach.

Yep. That ain't water!

Of course, I didn't take pictures first. I knelt down and did the only thing I could think of. I stuck my finger in the dike.
The bike was spewing a steady stream of go juice from the broken petcock from the crossover tube at the bottom of the gas tanks.
That rock was thrown up and broke the end completely off. Even though the Safari tanks are aftermarket, the petcocks
are the OEM part and mount in the same location as on stock tanks. Has anyone else ever heard of this happening on KTMs before?
Me neither. In fact, look at the photos of all of the big KTMs (some which travel drastically more rugged terrain)
and the petcocks are just as exposed.

Think! Think! I rip off my helmet, backpack, and jacket. I have to fix this. But how?

I do carry JB Weld and Quicksteel, but surely I can't seal a steady gasoline flow with that stuff and expect it to hold.
Besides, I would have to take my finger off the spigot for a couple minutes to dig it out.
I need something to stop the bleeding. Like a rubber plug. I pull out my knife. While holding fuel in with one finger,
I manage to cut chunks of rubber off the rear passenger peg with my left hand. I made several attempts to shape the
rubber into a suitable wedge by placing it on a flat rock and cutting awkwardly with one hand.
I jammed the rubber into the tube, but it was unable to stop the flow. I abandoned the idea as it was a temporary solution anyway.

I realized the situation could be worse. At least its the right tank draining. The fuel pump is located in the left tank,
so I can still ride with an empty right tank. At least the left is almost full- Oh Shit! I realized I hadn't done the most important thing.
I hadn't closed the left petcock! Every time my finger left the tube I wasn't draining the right tank,
I was draining BOTH tanks!
I quickly screw it shut and curse myself for being so stupid to not think of closing it early.

Now I have no idea if the left tank even has enough fuel to make it back to town, because I have no idea how long the faucet has been on.
I devise a new plan. The fuel draining out of the right tank needs to get to the left. I have a Nalgene water bottle that is already empty.
I quickly get the bottle out of the pannier knowing every precious second I'm not holding the fuel in, could be another mile of hiking.
The Nalgene bottle clouds up and adds a funny color to the fuel. I'm not sure this is gonna work. I rinse the bottle with gasoline a
couple times until I could see the bottle was not dissolving and the gasoline looked clear.
I have no choice. I use the bottle to transfer a couple gallons to the left tank before it was filled to the brim.

I then sit back and watch helplessly as the rest drains out.

I got about 0.5 miles out of that 5 gallons!

So here I sit 44 miles into the Arizona Strip on the part of the journey I specifically purchased the expensive Safari tanks for and on the very first day I empty half of my fuel load.
My plans are toast. I'm a little upset, but also realized worse things could have happened. I'm not injured. I still have 6 gallons of gas.
My first thought was to get to town to get this fixed. I'm almost as close to St. George as Mesquite and St. George would likely be a better choice to seek help.
I think they even have a KTM dealer. As I calmed down a little I realized it was Sunday. No reason to rush to town today. Hell, I even have more fuel left than the stock tanks.
I might as well enjoy the rest of my day and worry about the problem tomorrow.

So instead of turning around immediately I try to shake off the feeling of doom and point the bike up Nutter Twists Road towards Hidden Canyon.

I posted this one large so you can see the road twisting up the hillside left of the narrow canyon opening.

I reach a gate. As I dismount to open the gate, I realized I had not been successful in shaking the sick and uneasy feeling I had about the situation.
I keep thinking about how survival situations often begin with many small mistakes. Am I accumulating errors by trying to ride this remote
road alone after things have started to go south? I know the road will contain many washouts in a narrow canyon that is likely to be worse than
anything I've done today. The only descriptions of this trail I could find during my research had me worried about the supposedly steep and
rocky climb at the end. Will I fight my way through multiple creek crossings to have to turn around and repeat it all?

I get through the gate and decide to press on. I tried to shove the eerie feelings aside as I make my way across another washout.
This track looks rarely used. As I start up the climb in these loose rocks I begin wishing I had spent more money on my suspension, which is to harsh.
The rear tire skitters around fighting for traction. The front tire just tries to go wherever the rocks tell it to.

I stop mid-hill and make the decision to turn around. Chicken!
I still want to explore this road, but not alone, not on this suspension, not with the washouts, not today.

I re-cross the washout...

and get back through the gate. Now I just have to cross all of the washouts back to Mud Mountain Road.

I felt like a chicken-shit for backing out, but I think I made the right decision.
When I got home I looked at Nutter Twists RD and Hidden Canyon on Google Earth.
I had another 21 miles before Mt Dellenbaugh RD. In those 21 miles I count 44 major wash crossings.
This doesn't count all of the washouts from the smaller tributaries.
With the roads in the current conditions it would have been a pretty rough day.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #41
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Sorry for leaving the cliffhanger out there so long. I really did intend to get more written last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Awesome, I am flying into Steamboat Springs to ride a friends 990 back to GA on the 17th. Looks like I am headed for a detour.

I do have family in Phoenix. I just sent them an email clean out the guest room.
I don't think any of this is on the way to Georgia, but I guess your "friend" doesn't have to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloBramble View Post
Man, I love your ride reports, two reasons. One, the photography, amateur photog here and two, I live in Chandler AZ and really want to ride these rides.

Cliff hanger.....what happened?
Thanks, MiloBramble. You should get out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Had same thing happen a year or so ago, on a ride down to Lake Pleasant. First thought it was gas dripping out, then another stop & Oh no that's OIL!!!
Nope. Not oil.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #42
Glenn5995
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Excellent report and photography as always. Sorry the trip has not started as well as you had hoped, but looking forward to what awaits!
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #43
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
You and LittleWan with your cliff hangers!
Sorry 'bout that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
You been hanging around in the trials forum?

I sneak around in there sometimes. I also seem to remember a Baja report from you. I would love to photograph a trials event.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #44
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Sometimes you eat the "HUMBLE PIE" and sometimes the pie eats you. I have done 4 large solo trips and one must sometimes ride smart to ride another day.

Nice report.............

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #45
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,590
Quote:
I sneak around in there sometimes. I also seem to remember a Baja report from you. I would love to photograph a trials event.
Yeah! Someone read my Baja report!!

If you're ever up New Mexico way, we have 14-16 trials events a year...love to have you photograph one of them!

I'm really enjoying your report so far...waiting for more great pics!