Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
I just heard Bose has come out with Active noise canceling earbuds. The may be ground changing.

always good to see people spreading the word on the technology.

for instance, Etymotic. here's a link to an example of some noise-isolating tech: http://www.etymotic.com/awareness/index.html

along with the new technology in medical science, helmet design and sound protection/noise isolation I feel one of the best "new" technologies available is the advent of the INTERNET. we now can discuss such things and spread the word much easier than 20 years ago.

I always get a kick out of the old farts (and younger ones) online here and elsewhere that wouldn't be sharing such things with the MASSES as is now happening.

back in the day you might've read an article but the bottom line is few people would get beyond meeting with their buds and skipping the hearing protection. if none of your friends is bothering to wear it... you're probably not going to either. now though things are different. sort of like wearing helmets and pads when skateboarding. or helmets when riding a bicycle. times change and it's becoming more acceptable to pull your head of your ass and do the right thing and I believe the internet actually has helped with this in some manner.

like the OP's link to tinnitus info.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:57 AM   #18
MikeJansen
Lost

Oddometer: 114
3 years ago I had a medical for work and had almost no tinnitus. A bit of softness in my right year but no constant ringing. Now however, I have moderate tinnitus.

I blame riding at high speed for 30 minutes a day on a DL650 with a noisy screen without ear protection. My commute takes place almost exclusively north of 50mph in the morning and about 60% above those speeds in the afternoon.

I now wear a variety of disposable ear plugs or my Shure SE215s

As for power tool usage during that time, all I have is a 3/8th drill and a dremel so I don't think that is the issue.

Mike
Old 10-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #19
Motor7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
KB, yes the 'net sure has been a game changer. I know there are new riders and young riders reading here and on other forums. At this point in time my tin is at a level that I can deal with, but I don't know what the future holds. Looking back I damn sure would have ear plugs way more than I did. Having the opportunity to choose is different than ignorant bliss. We as riders all take above average calculated risks which we accept. When you really think about permanent hearing damage/loss, none us us would choose that and at least would use minimum protection if we could rewind the past.

When I did start wearing them on long trips I found that I could hear the important stuff better because that droning wind noise is effectively removed. I can hear the engine, tire noise, other cars, horns etc better with plugs in.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #20
Motor7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJansen View Post
3 years ago I had a medical for work and had almost no tinnitus. A bit of softness in my right year but no constant ringing. Now however, I have moderate tinnitus.

I blame riding at high speed for 30 minutes a day on a DL650 with a noisy screen without ear protection. My commute takes place almost exclusively north of 50mph in the morning and about 60% above those speeds in the afternoon.

I now wear a variety of disposable ear plugs or my Shure SE215s

As for power tool usage during that time, all I have is a 3/8th drill and a dremel so I don't think that is the issue.

Mike
I definitely think riding without plugs is a contributing factor. But I have some many other factors it is a wonder I can hear at all. I used to build decks and wood fences on the side for 20 years or so. Thousands of nails shot through a large Senco Framer sure didn't help my ears or my elbows.......sheesh I guess I really am falling apart
Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #21
rwf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I've been riding around in a UPS truck with the doors open for 27 years. I only wish I could blame my motorcycle.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #22
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
I also have it. I've no doubt the various loud bikes and wind contributed. But, so did the rock concerts, the fund, the loud cars, their wind, the military, etc.

So, I take my Dramamine when I ride, and tend to ride quiet machines these days. As for ear plug, depends on the bike and situation. I don't like losing input, and ear plug do that. So on the honda, the wind is bad, so I wear them. Not on the harley because it's near silent and has no wind in the ears. Same shooting, yes at the range, no when hunting.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #23
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Hi all,

I am somewhat feel less alone on this planet by this thread filled with fellow tinnitus afflicted people. I hope the original poster feels reassured.

I take this occasion to survey our shared condition:

a) do you consider yourself smarter or wittier than average?

b) do you have better eye sight than average?

c) do you also suffer from micropsia or macropsia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micropsia

d) do you prefer calm and dark rooms at home?

e) do you feel the need to have tv or radio playing all day?

f) do you get episodes of tinnitus awareness that drives you crazy and how do you finally get through?

g) are you a musician or particularly interested in music

h) how many hours of sleep do you get/need?

i) any other observation you think is related to your tinnitus?

Thank you very much in advance.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
Motor7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

a) nope
b) nope, used to be outstanding, now I need reading glasses...distance is still excellent
c) nope
d) no
e) no....well now that you mention it, when working or riding...yes
f) no, not yet. But I have had some "tone" episodes that were really bizarre
g) can't play an instrument, wish I could, love music
h) average 8 hrs
i) firearms, loud music, power tools
Old 10-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,212
I always wear earplugs on a bike, so should all of you. The SPL levels on any motorcycle at speed are profound.
Im nearly obsessively protective of my hearing. I was an audio engineer for years and my ears were my life. As a film editor now, it doesnt matter quite as much at work but it still matters

One summer I was a touring engineer and I always had a rule that if i were on stage, I had plugs in. period.
One day I went on stage without plugs because there was only one gut there - the drummer. I had to move some mics around and the drummer was at the kit. I noticed that the snare mic was off so I told the dummer, 'hey im going to adjust your mic, so dont play the kit for a second, ok?'

he looked me dead in the face and said 'yeah ok'

not three seconds later I kneel down to move the mic and he hit the snare. Permanent damage to my left ear.
I almost killed the guy...... and should have been wearing plugs on stage

fakin drummers

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is

eatpasta screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 05:57 PM
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #26
wheelbender6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
I got my tinnitus in the Marine Corps. I can narrow the actual tinnitus inducing event to an 8 year period.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #27
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Not sure what originated mine...prolly loud music when I was a teen. Now, my left ear rings nearly 100% of the time. When I quit caffeine the volume dropped quite a bit. Don't know it if will help anyone else, but it did me. Plus riding with ear plugs definitely helps.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #28
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
I got my tinnitus in the Marine Corps..
my old man lost most of his heading in Vietnam. then he came back to the states and worked as a firefighter for 35 years, mostly with no heading protection.
poor guy can hardly hear my mom nagging at him
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #29
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,984
Yes I have tinitus and have significant frequency loss. However riding did not cause it as I had the beginning stages prior to buying my first bike at 40. However the first couple years of riding I did not wear plugs and I do believe my tinitus worstened during that time. I now use noise isolating ear phones (Shure SE210) and music at a moderate volume to mask it while riding.

When at home or in the car I always have either music playing or the tv (at home not on bike) to help mask the ringing. But it is always there. Fortunately it hasn't started driving me crazy....yet! LOL

Went to an audiologist a couple of years back for a hearing test. They of course reccomended I get a hearing aid but haven't taken that plunge yet, though my wife and daughter have been bugging me about it lately. It is getting more difficult to make out conversation on the tube or at the movies. In person it is easier for me unless you are a low talker.

Question, has anyone with bad tinitus gone the hearing aid route? If so, how is it working out?

Thanks,

Rick G

Rick G screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 03:26 AM
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #30
Yamarocket630
Honey Badger

Oddometer: 490
Mine started in my early 20's after a bad ear infection and a round of antibiotics. The doc said it would go away once the I stopped the antibiotics. I'm still waiting, 18 or so years later.
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote