Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #76
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
What qualifies as a "major problem"? A bad final drive would piss me off, but it's not the end of the world. People ride what they like. So far, I've liked Hondas, Buells, and BMWs.

Waco screwed with this post 10-13-2013 at 05:40 PM
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #77
JeffinTD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Really? I call bullshit.

The oil tank is cast aluminum and bolted to the bottom of the transmission. The vent is plumbed from the crankcase into the transmission filler spout which is also cast alloy and bolted to the side of the transmission housing. The fitting is tapped 1/8" NPT into the side of the filler cap spout and the crankcase. If the fitting is there the hole is drilled and tapped. You cannot braze aluminum and there was never any such TSB as the Dyna tank is of similar construction.
Negative- I was talking about the fuel tank, not the oil tank. The fuel tank vent attaches to a fitting on the tank under the dash, which runs down the left side to a roll over valve, then a hose runs to the bottom of the bike.

With my bike, parked in the sun with a hot engine it would dump fuel out of the carb, and hydro locked the engine. Pulled the plugs and turned the engine over, and sprayed gas everywhere. After I washed that off, I was able to start the bike and ride it home.

Took it to HD under warranty- they replaced fuel petcock (vacuum type) and checked the float valve in the carb.

It did it again. I also noted a woosh of fumes under a lot of pressure whenever I removed the fuel cap. I mean a LOT of pressure.

I bypassed the roll over valve so the tank would be directly vented to the atmosphere- and was puzzled when I still had the woosh of pressure.

I checked the hoses, which were clear. I then looked into the hose barb brazed to the tank under the dash. After removing some flux, I could see there was no hole in the tank. Drilled that out and all was fine.

Later I saw a thing, I think MC consumer news, about the hole for the fuel tank vent not having been drilled for some of the wide glides.

Had: CX500, DR650, S2 Thunderbolt.

Need: To win the lottery so I can actually get time to ride.
JeffinTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #78
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,188
Well then forgive me please. My mistake.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #79
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
For all of the bitching about fasteners in this thread, you guys sure have a limited view on the world.

Torx is a standard fastener developed to reduce damage to the tool insertion point due to overtorquing. They are great...
Well they are, until they get into the hands of Nort Americo Yanquis that use Imperial Allen wrenches on them. Yes, there are downsides to only buying in the used market. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Torx bolts are fine.

They don't take any longer to center drill the head out than any other stupid bolt.

It does take a minute to d find which one on the swing set matches it though.
Ding! Winnah winnah chicken dinnah!
Ugh, if there's anything I hate more than a stripped bolt head...it's a stripped Torx head.

Quote:
Also, for those unschooled in German vehicles, I can see why you think the toolage is weird, but it is quite standard across all German vehicles. I joke that I keep buying VWs because I already have all the tools - they all work on the BMW, too. In fact, the basic tool group for all German vehicles is pretty standard. 5, 6, 7, 8mm Allen, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 32mm hex head, and T20, 25, 27, 30, 45. There are a few oddballs here or there, but this stuff is all pretty easily accessed from the tool shop.....
Just for the record...it takes me longer to mouth out loud how many tools you need to work on a BMW/VW/Beemer Bike than it takes for me to take the TWO wrenches, and TWO Allen keys out of my tank bag & strip off the seat, fairing, tank & tail on my Ninja. Toss in two screwdrivers, two more wrenches...and I can literally strip my bike down to the frame on the roadside.

What exactly does a 17mm wrench fit on a BMW anyway?

Quote:
If you want to complain about tools, GM and Ford use security Torx in certain applications. Now that is stupid.
Haa haa, my beater cage is a Saturn (GM), and it has more Torx bolts in one door than a GSA! To change a door panel after I had been sideswiped, T20 T25 T30 & T10 to take the mirrors off. All fastening cosmetic panels.
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #80
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Nwere mirror mounts. And something else, but I don't remember.

My point was that once you buy a set of wrenches, you have what you need. And for 90% of the BMW stuff, a T25 and a T30 will take you places.

No, it's not the easiest thing to do roadside repairs on, but they are doable and you don't need a computer most of the time. I have a little Android thingy that does everything aside from swapping engines. Need to readapt for that.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #81
oughtsix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I've been lurking around here since I stumbled on a youtube series about a guy riding down to through central and south America. I've read several reports since then, to include bigalsmith's and another by some aussies, but the one that stuck with me was the guy that took a road king all the way down. I think he had two problems with the bike in 10,000ish miles of hard riding, and one of those was a loose battery connection. The other was fixed under warranty at a dealer. I'd ask that guy about HD reliability....
oughtsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #82
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah I always wonder why I never see guys pushing Harleys down the road. 'Cause I certainly don't see 'em sittin' on the side of the road.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #83
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Yeah I always wonder why I never see guys pushing Harleys down the road. 'Cause I certainly don't see 'em sittin' on the side of the road.
It's cause they never see the road, and if they broke down, they're too heavy to push, especially with a 350 pounder riding pillion
Old 10-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #84
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Nwere mirror mounts. And something else, but I don't remember.

My point was that once you buy a set of wrenches, you have what you need. And for 90% of the BMW stuff, a T25 and a T30 will take you places.

No, it's not the easiest thing to do roadside repairs on, but they are doable and you don't need a computer most of the time. I have a little Android thingy that does everything aside from swapping engines. Need to readapt for that.
Trans drain on a Hexhead.

Seriously, for all major tasks on the BMW it only takes a handful of tools.

Torx work exceedingly well if you use the correct one. Beats the crap out of standard or Phillips, and IMHO are far better than allens which strip too easily on very small fasteners.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #85
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
Reliability is a many spendored thing.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #86
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
Quote:
They be too heavy to push down the road.
They be riding in the back of pickups.
You know, Harley and Hound Dog...
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #87
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
It's cause they never see the road, and if they broke down, they're too heavy to push, especially with a 350 pounder riding pillion
Sad. That is the best you've got? You Harley haters have such limited imagination. I guess that's to be expected with such narrow horizons.

BTW that's a Sportster.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #88
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtsix View Post
I've been lurking around here since I stumbled on a youtube series about a guy riding down to through central and south America. I've read several reports since then, to include bigalsmith's and another by some aussies, but the one that stuck with me was the guy that took a road king all the way down. I think he had two problems with the bike in 10,000ish miles of hard riding, and one of those was a loose battery connection. The other was fixed under warranty at a dealer. I'd ask that guy about HD reliability....
I heard tell that there was this guy that was 12 feet tall, rode a harley with 500hp that only weighed 300lbs wet and it never broke down and it would shoot lasers out the exhaust and it would go so fast it would reverse the rotation of the earth.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #89
Souljer
Recycling Electrons

Oddometer: 111
Hi,

I'm a newborn to bikes in general. So most of you can simply ignore my contribution here.
I just have one thread so far where I'm asking for buying advise on some of the bikes I found.

I have also been doing research and just keeping my eyes open for about a year or so as I got closer to getting a motorcycle.

Rather than bore you regurgitating opinions that I've found, I'll simply tell you what I witnessed as a observant student of life.

1) At the MSC class there were several classes going on at the same time. Each class had two teachers I believe. At the end of the weekend I left late and noticed that almost all the teachers were riding BMWs. I took notice and began exploring BMW for something that might work for me.

2) When I found one I was going to buy, it happened to be about 300 miles away. I did not want to drive a bike I was totally unfamiliar with on a long ride when I'm not even an experienced rider. Too many negative variables in that equation. I contacted a towing service through a local motorcycle group and had this guy give me professional help. When he shows up he comments that although dirty ("You can clean up the wire wheels or leave it and call it patina"), it looks like a nice bike. He tells me that he also rides a BMW (I forget exactly which but 1200 is in there somewhere). He further comments that BMW riders almost never call him. They simply don't break down that often.

For whatever reasons, it seems that these two samples (the MSC teachers and this motorcycle tow service guy) both chose BMW as their personal rides and bikes they like. Both may or may not also own other bikes including Japanese makes, I don't know about that. I didn't say exclusively, I'm just reporting what I observed and was told.

I found that interesting and perhaps relevant to the subject.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #90
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
People like picking on Harley and BMW because they're name brand, prestige marques, but in reality they are both fine machines that do their thing in their own unique way.

I like them both............................but some of the riders............................