Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #46
ShawnWorks OP
Rock on!!!

Oddometer: 243
More One World. One R 1200 GS Videos

Hey guys,

At RawHyde at the moment, gearing up for training and a 5-day tour. I figured I would do my best to contribute to the thread while I'm here...! Here are a few more videos from the trip...

Video 2: The first day of riding toward Cambria:

Video 3: Heading through Big Sur on our way to Santa Cruz:

Video 4: Good times on Skyline, Alice's Restaurant and San Francisco...:

Video 5: Making our way over Mount Hamilton (EPIC riding!):

Video 6: Hitting Snow on the way to Randsburg:

- Rosalia de Castro
ShawnWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #47
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,912
Well I hope you find the time and write some more about your "one world" trip (after your new 5 day tour probably). You can't just get away with posting video already out.

Weirdly enough (not really), people want more comments about the new GS (which I understand was not the bike you rode in the trip... but I am sure you did take to some of your known paths when the camera wasn't rolling... or when it was and someone else couldn't do it ). So... will wait.
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #48
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Shawn,are you alive? We're still waiting for the story. :)
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #49
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Shawn good running into you in Vegas! Was talking with Stephan, and he was saying he might come back out this was to Vegas when his GF is here. Hoping he does this so we can show him around Vegas a little more. Hope to see you out this way again soon. Really enjoyed your insight and contribution to the whole event, keep up the good work!
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #50
ShawnWorks OP
Rock on!!!

Hey folks,

Back from another tour, and have some long-awaited computer time. I have put together another installment to the story, which I very much hope you enjoy... Rock on!

----
“Ok that’s good… Now try it again…”

“…A-mei-de-ka…”

“Good, getting better. A little too much emphasis on each syllable… Try and smooth it out a bit…”

“…Amer-dika…”

“Good! Much better! Once more…”

“America.”

“Best yet! Now… You need to own it a bit more… Try removing some of the vowels.”

“Umm… Are you sure—“

“Yeah this is totally the way to do it here. Just try it, with none of the vowels.”

“… M… …Mrk.”

“YES!! You’re getting it! Now for the Pièce de résistance… Say it as if you’re about to get punched in the stomach... Tighten your muscles… Guttural like… Like this... ‘Merrika!’”

“Merrika…”

“PERFECT! ‘Merrika!’”

“MERRIKA!”

“’MERrika!!!’ Pump your fists when you say it! ‘MERrika!!!’”

“MERRIKAAAAA!!”
Tim is such an easy going guy. I laugh to myself as he strolls about, yelling his new slogan to unsuspecting strangers. It’s hard to believe we met only days ago.

With the tour more than halfway complete, the group is jelling fantastically well. In a short time we have found ourselves intertwined in the way of longtime friends, tackling the adventures ahead with striking unity. It comes as a surprise to me, really. While it is quite common for customers to build these sorts of friendships while on tour, it is rare that I find myself so entangled as well. I relish in it. This is why I love motorcycles.

The pair of new liquid-cooled BMW R 1200 GS’s are performing superbly. So far we have exposed them to just about every sort of terrain imaginable; heat, rain, snow, mud, rocks, and a healthy dollop of commuter traffic. No issues to speak of, not even a flat tire. But the best riding still lies ahead.

Eric, head on the ‘One World’ tour, takes me aside for a quick chat. “I’ve got to stay behind for a few hours, and attend a web-meeting for work. I trust you can continue the day without me?”

“Sure buddy, no problem.” I pause, a diabolical plan brewing in my noggin. “You know, it’s just a shame that we will only have 1 liquid-cooled GS for the entire day. That means less photo and video opportunities, to say the least. If only there was a way that you could stay behind, but still have your GS on tour with us. Hmmmmm….”

Eric Smiles. “Yes, I suppose you could ride my GS, and leave your bike for me. Maybe this will fix the problem?”

“Why yes, yes I believe that would solve the problem nicely. Good thinking, Eric!”

Dude. I’ll be on the liquid-cooled GS. ALL DAY. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

We collect in a Las Vegas parking garage and prepare for the day. We’re moving slow, and everything is extra loud and bright. The ‘Vegas effect,’ as I have come to know it. But for me at least, seeing the new GS perched on its centerstand gets me feeling A-OK.

We discuss the day, laying out the ride route. We will asphalt-pound out of town, then take a collection of dirt roads toward Kelso Sand Dunes. From there we head toward Joshua Tree, taking on a stretch of the famed Route 66. Good times.

We mount our machines, rolling them slowly out of the parking area. With a green light we are on the Vegas strip, waving our goodbyes and maneuvering toward the interstate.

The bike feels spectacular. I take it in, remembering to use the time for proper evaluation. “Throttle is smooth, more than enough power. Wind Protection is exceptional. Cruise control interface is intuitive, easy operation. ABS and Traction Control able to be engaged / disengaged while in motion. Sweeet! Ride modes offer distinctive change in feel. Mode adjustment not quite intuitive yet; keep trying to make the adjustment from left bar instead of right. Mirrors show minimal vibration, but smaller and a bit narrow. See a lot of my shoulders in them. Hand-lever position is easily adjustable on the fly.”

Soon we exit the interstate, easing to the roadside for a coffee-relief break. Stéphane approaches, still looking a bit drowsy. “How do you like the bike?”

“Dude. It’s kickass. I super-dig it.”

“Oh that’s good. I think I will relax here a bit.” He sways, then rolls backward, thoughtlessly thumping onto the sandy earth. We laugh, waving at the film crew to record the silliness.

After a few minutes I signal that it’s time to head out. I approach Stéphane, still prone and motionless. “Come on buddy, time to RIDE!”

He winces at the yelling. Yup, ‘Vegas Effect.’ I reach down, grabbing his hands and pulling him to a sitting position. I reach for his waste, helping him to his feet, then hoist him over my shoulder and walk him to his bike. I swing his leg over the seat, sliding him down and releasing him into a heap on the frame.

“Hey. Shawn. I’m backwards. Little help?”

Soon we are moving through Kelso Valley, headed toward the Dunes. They are spectacular. Massive drifts of sand piled high toward the morning sun. I hate riding in sand, but I’m not worried. We have been told that riding on the dunes is prohibited, so this will be an easy in-&-out. Just a few photos of the landscape should keep the group happy.

“Hey look! That parking lot is full of sand! Let’s take the bikes through there for some action shots!”

Shit.

Ulla, the photographer, always has the perilous ideas. A few days back she talked us in to tackling the sand washes at Trona Pinnacles, which didn’t go well for me & my GS Adventure. But her youthful looks and raw charisma ensure that she gets what she wants.

“Umm, sure Ulla, no problem.”

The heavy breathing begins. As the crew sets up for some shots, I reach over and set the ride mode to ‘Enduro.’ It will be good to see for myself how the bike reacts to sand, even though I will likely be photographed face-down in it.

I shake my arms and roll my head, forcing myself to relax. I remember my training. “Weight back, stay loose, look up and steer with my feet. No big deal, sand is soft and fluffy. It’s like having a pillow-fight with a 525lb German. Piece of cake. ”

With a thumbs up from the film crew, I enter the sand lot on the new GS. Progressing along, I dance and move, feeling the bike and adjusting my weight accordingly. I turn, weight-shifting heavily outside and returning to the start point.

“How was it?”

“It… was EASY! Wow the easiest sand has ever been for me! Lemmie try again…”
I go at it again, this time heading for the deeper, more rutted spots. No problem. The Bike glides two and fro, carving a definitive line through the fluff and back to start.

“Wow. Sweeeeet! Dude you gotta try it!”

With that, Stéphane takes a run at it. Almost immediately he is on his side.

“Oops. I will try again…”

Again he is up, and down again. The ‘Vegas Effect’ enters my mind.
Eventually Stéphane returns, looking haggard. Clearly his experience in the sand did not match my own.

“You ok buddy?”

“Yes, just can't seem to smooth her out. This sand is very hard.”

I look at his instruments. “Hmmm… I notice you have switched off your traction control. Why not try leaving it on?”

In moments his traction control is back on, and he has another go. Almost effortlessly he clears the wash and is back again.

“Wow that is much better!”

“Totally! You can feel the traction control adjusting the throttle. Pretty kickass!”

Soon we are taking on the sand together, cruising in formation and enjoying good times. Never have I felt so confident in this terrain. Still, I decide to quit while I’m ahead.

“Whadaya say we head toward Joshua Tree? If we hurry we can catch the views at Sunset…”

We leave the Dunes, heading south and feeling fulfilled. As we ride I continue my evaluation, taking note of some unanswered questions. ”More heat on the right side, but not from exhaust as I once thought. It is blowing from the radiator fan, catching the back of my leg as it blows by. Interesting. The Windshield is much easier to adjust than the last one I rode, and seems to shimmy less. Modified design? Wind buffeting is minimal, even at speed. Seat is more comfortable in the ‘flat’ position. Footpegs are wider, but still a bit too tall and narrow for my taste. Man, where’s a racetrack when you need one!”

We arrive in Joshua Tree, enjoying a relaxing photo & video shoot at sunset. We roll in to our Hotel to find Eric, sitting at the pool with pitchers in hand. “How was it? You Like?”

“Dude. Thank you. It has been a very good day.”

- Rosalia de Castro
Old 04-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #51
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,912
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about.
Keep it going.
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #52
ShawnWorks OP
Rock on!!!

More videos

For your viewing pleasure, the final videos from the 'One World. One R 1200 GS' tour. Good times indeed!

Video 7: Randsburg to Death Valley (And a little "American" football action)
[IMG][/IMG]

Video 8: Death Valley to Las Vegas (Nekkid Laundry Racing, anyone?)
[IMG][/IMG]

Video 9: The Little White Chapel (and, possibly, the silliest thing I've ever been a part of)
[IMG][/IMG]

Video 10: The Hangover (The title speaks for itself. Viva Las Vegas!)
[IMG][/IMG]

Video 11: The finale (Good times, sad goodbye's)
[IMG][/IMG]

- Rosalia de Castro
Old 10-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #53
DetoX68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Awesome.......