ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #61
rsks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I got a question. It's my first time doing this ride and I want to run my trials rear tire MT43. I was checking out pictures and it seems as if there are a lot of people running these tires. How does it perform in the sand? What pressure are people running for such high speeds and distances?
rsks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #62
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsks View Post
I got a question. It's my first time doing this ride and I want to run my trials rear tire MT43. I was checking out pictures and it seems as if there are a lot of people running these tires. How does it perform in the sand? What pressure are people running for such high speeds and distances?

It's really no different than riding in the desert any other time. Most desert riders use knobby tires. Some people are different and use trials tires, but I don't recommend it.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #63
rsks
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Limits View Post
It's really no different than riding in the desert any other time. Most desert riders use knobby tires. Some people are different and use trials tires, but I don't recommend it.
I've only run my trials tire in technical trails, never high speed bombs in the desert. I usually run 7 psi and I would think that at speed and slamming into whoops, g-outs, rocks would pinch the tube in no time even with a UHD tube.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #64
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
Quote:
I've only run my trials tire in technical trails, never high speed bombs in the desert. I usually run 7 psi and I would think that at speed and slamming into whoops, g-outs, rocks would pinch the tube in no time even with a UHD tube.
Knobby tire, preferably hard terrain, hard carcass, 17 psi. It's. no fun getting a flat.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #65
YellowjacketD37
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
You'll see a lot of trials tires on LA-B-to-V. Run 7 lbs. of pressure and you'll be fine. Don't run more than 7 lbs. or you'll ruin the effect of the trials tires.

Use Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes front and back or you'll be sorry! You don't want to get a flat tire on this ride.

The good riders don't seem to have a problem in the sand with this tire.
YellowjacketD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #66
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,308
Quote:
run knobbies. a friend that swears by MT43 admitted that knobbies are better in the sand.

and the MT43 is not good downhill. and there are a lot of loose downhill sections.

but if you do run this tire, run it around 6-8 lbs psi with heavy duty tubes. as far as I've heard, Bridgestone is no longer making motorcycle tubes. there's a new brand STI that seems to be good so far. but there thickness rating system is off....
their heavy duty is a regular.... their Ultra is a heavy duty..... their extreme is an Ultra. yeah, it's dumb that they're rating is off, but they're good tubes.

again, I say go with a knobbie.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #67
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 73
Laugh Registered!

I'm registered and paid:

Day 2 Only (Sat) - LA / Barstow / Vegas - 2013
Item# 4870514841-211819839-269609631
$120.00 USD1

Will I receive a confirmation or is the payal receipt it?

Will the GPS tracks be available to download a few days before the ride or how does that work?

Also, what is the basic diff between the Adventure Route and the Hard Route?

For reference, I'm a Class B Enduro type From the rocky mountain enduro circuit.

Thanks
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams

BillUA screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 03:24 PM
BillUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #68
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillUA View Post
I'm registered and paid:

$120.00 USD1

Will the GPS tracks be available to download a few days before the ride or how does that work?

For reference, I'm a Class B Enduro type From the rocky mountain endure circuit.

Thanks
You will receive your GPS tracks at sign-up.
Depending on what bike you're on, I'd guess that you will want to take all of the harder routes.
Have fun!
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #69
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
You will receive your GPS tracks at sign-up.
Depending on what bike you're on, I'd guess that you will want to take all of the harder routes.
Have fun!

Thanks! I'll be on my 500EXC
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
Old 10-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #70
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,646
Quote:
Thanks! I'll be on my 500EXC
Then maybe you should ride w/ one hand the whole way...
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #71
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Then maybe you should ride w/ one hand the whole way...
Ha! Probably not, I have a job
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
Old 10-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #72
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
I'm registered and paid:

$120.00 USD1

For reference, I'm a Class B Enduro type From the rocky mountain endure circuit.

Thanks

there's no ADVenture ride this year. just the Regular route and the Hard route.

the hard route isnt really that hard to someone on a 525/530/500 EXC that's an experienced enduro rider. it's just longer and has a few spots here or there.

don't do all the hard routes if you get behind. just remember you are racing the sun. the sunrise is 6:59AM and the sunset is 4:30PM on November 29.

you'll have a blast!!
Old 10-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #73
lotus241
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
I am glad to see I wont be the only one doing this for the first time. I managed to persuade two others to join so just look out for 3 Ohio boys...probably at the bottom of a ravine.

But in all seriousness we are excited for this. I have been watching this thread and the others to gain some insight on how to prepare for this.

We will be a group of three on Ohio plated 2013 KTM350, 2007 CRF450, and my highly modified 2010 YZ250F.

Ray
lotus241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #74
rsks
Adventurer

how is everyone arranging the ride back to LA? I'm trying to persuade some of my friends to drive my truck to Vegas and bring me back but no luck.

also, anyone need a riding buddy? I'm a slower intermediate rider riding a KTM 450XC. Would like to ride the hardways as time allows. I've got rooms in Barstow and Vegas and would be willing to split cost. I've been trying to register to the D37 site but haven't been able to. Even contacted the admin but no response

rsks screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 01:52 PM
Old 10-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #75
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
how is everyone arranging the ride back to LA? I'm trying to persuade some of my friends to drive my truck to Vegas and bring me back but no luck.

also, anyone need a riding buddy? I'm a slower intermediate rider riding a KTM 450XC. Would like to ride the hardways as time allows. I've got rooms in Barstow and Vegas and would be willing to split cost. I've been trying to register to the D37 site but haven't been able to. Even contacted the admin but no response
definitely get on the District 37 forum. there is a "I need a riding buddy" thread over there.
http://www.district37ama.org/forums/...ad.php?t=60045

or PM guys on this thread that have posted up.

if it's needed.... I could use one of my posts on page 1 to make a list of guys that need riding partners. why'd a think!?

as far as getting you and your bike back to LA (Palmdale), you have to get creative... we've rented a U-Haul which works.
also some people have their wives/gfs drive their truck.
there sometimes is a guy that will offer a huge truck and take bikes back. not guaranteed that will happen.
you could ride back.
a buddy of mine drove his truck there a week before and flew back.then I drove us to Palmdale and he drove us back.

the D37 forum administrator is going through chemo for colon cancer so he's not available at the moment.

but you should be able to sign up to the forum without having to go through him.