User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #16
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
During my MSF BRC on the test day...
The procedure when you are off the bike is to close the fuel petcock, and of course, the procedure when getting on is to turn it back on, but I forgot that part.
So I'm idling my way up the line, then it's my turn to do the "box", make the first u-turn in good shape, then I'm starting my turn in on the second and the bike sputters and dies.
I pretty much immediately realize what happened, clutch in, get the bike upright, feet down, reach down and open the valve, hit the starter and finish.

Lost a couple of points for putting my feet down, but I still think I should have gotten a brownie point or two for not dumping the thing.

Fuel injection is a really wonderful thing
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
this I did once,

let the clutch out a bit to quickly and not enuf gas, bike stalls, but with enuf forward momentum to throw you forward, loose your balance, fall down, bike on top of you .........

in front of a crowd of 50 or more people
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #18
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Bought a disc lock w/alarm before a major trip to the Smokies. 3rd day in, parked at the motel, checked in locked it up and took a shower. Wandered down to the office later with fellow riders to inquire about a restaurant. It was not in walking distance so we all jumped back on the bikes...yep...forgot the damn disc lock. Wheel was already cocked the way we were going...a nice 90 degree pullout, bang on the parking lot...then the alarm went off which was the icing on my embarrassment cake.

After that trip my buddy bought me one of these as a joke(the yellow one):

I actually used the thing for 3 more years...worked perfect

Motor7 screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 02:10 AM
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #19
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 233
Stop on a steep ass hill facing diagonally. Realize lower leg is not 5 feet long.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,191
This happened last week; I pulled up behind a large truck at the end of a looong line of slow moving cars. I quick glance down the road and I see a grey pickup that looks like it's passing the lead car and no oncoming traffic. I back off a bit to get a jump on the passing speed, start to pass the big truck and realize the grey pickup was coming my way and closing fast... pucker factor moment!
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #21
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
Lots of good stuff here. Keep 'em comin'

Old 10-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Come to a complete stop at a red light, go to put foot out. Discover too late that Shoelace is looped around shift lever. Fall over.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #23
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Casually flick kickstand out like 1000 times before and in one swift and fluid move dismount bike and lean it away on to stand, which has retracted and just . watch . bike . slowly . fall . out . of . your . flailing . grasp .
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #24
tominboise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Start and idle your new to you DR350 in the driveway while it's in neutral and on the side stand. Have a brain fade and decide to depress the rear brake lever while standing next to the bike. Note that the owner had just removed the side stand safety switch. Depress the brake lever, only realize you are ON THE WRONG SIDE AND YOU'VE JUST CLICKED IT INTO FIRST GEAR. Watch said bike take off across the driveway and run into the side of the house.....

2005 SV650 - the naked yellow one,,,,
1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #25
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
Riding a recent trade in home for lunch. A 1971 Triumph TR6C. (right handed shift) Go for the rear brake and shift down a gear then proceed to lift on the actual rear brake peddle and wonder why the hell it wont shift to the next gear.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #26
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Coming home from a very long day at work and my fuel light went on. I had to get up early for another long day the next day so decided to get fuel before heading home. Got home (apartment complex) and all the good spots where taken and I had to park on a hill. Went to park, put my foot down and realized I was a foot short. Bike went over.

Lucky no one was watching. No damage no worries :)
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

In my stupid twenties, got pretty drunk after work. But it's a little 50cc scooter so what's the worst that could happen. It was a horrible snowy and icy night.

It's like 2 am, slicker than snot & COLD. And I'm drunk so being SUPER careful and diligent. Make it 10 miles and right before my house come to a stop sign, and just "forgot" to put foot out. SLOWLY fall over wondering what is happeni n g....

In My stupid(er) 30's decide I need a video. Also pretty drunk, but decide it's only like 3 blocks so decide to risk it. Get off bike & lose balance & Bike falls over in parking lot of video store.

Takes pretty much all the strength I have to pick it up, but forgot to put down kickstand lose balance again and drop bike other way.

booze and bikes don't mix
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 09:26 PM
Old 10-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #28
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 469
We had club member arrive at a BMW rally, dismount his bike right at registration, and start yelling "I need a mechanic, I need a mechanic!" He got everyone's attention, because he was frantic about how poorly his bike had been running for the last 200 some miles. He felt something was terribly wrong and needed help,...NOW!

Someone, not a mechanic, walked up to his bike, gave it a quick glance and said, "you always ride with the choke fully on?"
Old 10-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #29
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 528
About done after a long day and while doing the pocket check panic because your moto key is nowhere to be found. Slowly realize that you probably left it in the bike. Have another panic attack because some one probably stole your bike since you were kind enough to leave the key in it for them. Get out to the bike relieved that it is still there only to realize you left the key on and your battery is dead. It's cold out and it takes a good 4 tries to push start the damned thing, usually with an audience.

This happened a couple of times until I got one the "Remove Before Flight" lanyards. Who am I kidding it still happens occasionaly.
alvincullumyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #30
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
was there any lasting damage on that one?
A buddy did that to his R90/6 on a ride once, right at the gas station where we met for the ride. His bike started bucking and smoking and somehow he made it to his cousins a couple of miles down the road. As soon as he opened his gas cap he knew what he did from the smell. He borrowed some tools from his cousin, removed the tank, dumped the diesel and drained the fuel lines and float bowls. Borrowed a gallon of gas, back to the gas station for a proper fill, and we were on our way with no ill effects.

I still tease him about that. Of course I have done many other stupid things on a bike so he teases me right back.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote