Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #91
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
but some of the riders............................
Sounds like Urinal guys.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #92
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
People like picking on Harley and BMW because they're name brand, prestige marques, but in reality they are both fine machines that do their thing in their own unique way.

I like them both............................but some of the riders............................

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #93
joexr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim
Are you the pot or the kettle today?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #94
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Are you the pot or the kettle today?
Every time you open your trap you make no sense. I suggest you

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #95
joexr
Banned

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Every time you open your trap you make no sense. I suggest you

Jim
I can write it , but I can't comprehend it for you. I'll type slower next time , just for you Mr. Wonderful.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #96
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Now girls, be nice...
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #97
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
I heard tell that there was this guy that was 12 feet tall, rode a harley with 500hp that only weighed 300lbs wet and it never broke down and it would shoot lasers out the exhaust and it would go so fast it would reverse the rotation of the earth.
Found some of them

Can a Harley make it to Magadan
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ight=road+king

Central and South America on a Road King
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...america+harley
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 80k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #98
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtsix View Post
I've been lurking around here since I stumbled on a youtube series about a guy riding down to through central and south America. I've read several reports since then, to include bigalsmith's and another by some aussies, but the one that stuck with me was the guy that took a road king all the way down. I think he had two problems with the bike in 10,000ish miles of hard riding, and one of those was a loose battery connection. The other was fixed under warranty at a dealer. I'd ask that guy about HD reliability....
You joined to post that?

The report said BMW and HD had the lowest reliability and the highest owner satisfaction. Like Mini and Jeep owners, there is a larger emotional component to the purchase than with most buyers.

These are HUGE companies that got that way by spending a lot of money on branding: in other words, creating that emotional appeal.

So arguing with someone about that purchase as an economic decision makes about as much sense as arguing with a dog owner about whether they paid too much for their dog.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #99
snooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
HD never could build a dirt bike..Bmw is ok but open the wallet to extensive mods for off road...i think hodaka is the best dirt bike ever like my combat wombat and super rat...well you gotta say hodaka sure has superior marketing sex appeal over HD or Bmw....how the hell can you not lust after a bike named super rat....oh heck i adore the f650's and i do like the HD's as well...never own a street bike though but i like all bikes...jap bikes best quality is nutin we did not already know
snooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #100
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 726
I don't need Consumer Reports to tell me this. I worked at Bob's BMW in the service department!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 AM   #101
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Torx bolts are fine.

They don't take any longer to center drill the head out than any other stupid bolt.

It does take a minute to d find which one on the swing set matches it though.
You and I use a lot of the same techniques.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #102
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,863
I've been pondering BMWs recently and I've come to the conclusion that they are engineered to the nth degree, then assembled by baboons. This is the company that designs a suspension that takes hundred of readings per second and makes tiny electronic adjustments to your rebound damping. It's also the company that can't make a transmission and engine fit together well enough to keep from stripping the transmission input splines.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #103
oughtsix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
You joined to post that?

The report said BMW and HD had the lowest reliability and the highest owner satisfaction. Like Mini and Jeep owners, there is a larger emotional component to the purchase than with most buyers.

These are HUGE companies that got that way by spending a lot of money on branding: in other words, creating that emotional appeal.

So arguing with someone about that purchase as an economic decision makes about as much sense as arguing with a dog owner about whether they paid too much for their dog.
No... I joined because I've been lurking around here for a year now and figured it was about time to get in on the pissing contest, or whatever. I fail to see where I made an economic assessment of the situation. Of course a 5000 dollar KLR/DR/XR is cheaper than a new Road King. What I did say is that this one Road King made that trip with two stoppages. Maybe HD has never made another bike that can do anything more that ride down to the bar on saturday night, and these handful of examples are statistical outliers. Maybe all Harley sells is leather attire, self-image, and really, really shitty bikes. I seriously doubt it, but hey, I'm just a public school kid.
oughtsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:24 AM   #104
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I've been pondering BMWs recently and I've come to the conclusion that they are engineered to the nth degree, then assembled by baboons. This is the company that designs a suspension that takes hundred of readings per second and makes tiny electronic adjustments to your rebound damping. It's also the company that can't make a transmission and engine fit together well enough to keep from stripping the transmission input splines.
We must be doing something wrong, having had four, going on 5 (with one on order) BMWs in the family with nary a problem. Maybe we're just not riding them correctly. Then, I remembered there were two Harley's, one of which is still with us, that had no problems. Since none of these were garage queens, perhaps we are an outlier. For those of you who're accustomed to having transmission issues, get yourself one of those ghost-shifting Goldwings and be in the in-crowd.

popscycle screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 06:28 AM
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #105
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Ya know, I don't think I've ever made a motorcycle purchase based on reliability.
foxtrapper is online now   Reply With Quote