Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #31
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,112
After a career in the military and many years of perfecting my shot grouping and shuttling around in helicopters in and out of drop zones my hearing is really bad.

I wear hearing aids but, I am mostly deaf in my left ear. I also suffer from severe tinnitus. Someone in the body of this thread indicated that his tinnitus was like a "heard of Cicadas". This is how I have been describing what I feel for years.

Ear plugs do nothing for me. I am already way past the point of saving my hearing in the left ear. I do wear one ear plug on the right side. Mostly I just live with it and buy lots of batteries for my hearing aids.

My problem is with quiet places. The quieter it is the more aware of the freaking cicadas I become.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #32
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
I hear dead people, does that count?

Sent from The Edge using TapaTalk 2
Old 10-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #33
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 634
I am up there with DRZ Charlie as far as the cicada's and real quite places drive me nuts if I think about it
a little white sound and I am good to go

my major hearing issue is talking to people when there is any background sound like at a bar or a cell phone if it isn't quiet near me

mine is from Music and machinery
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #34
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
No cicadas, mine is microphone feedback.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #35
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
No cicadas, mine is microphone feedback.
Yikes, that would be worse that I have it.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #36
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 634
agreed
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #37
i_isntreal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
My tinnitus was most likely caused by a 3rd degree concussion from snowboarding (younger dumber days). However, I would count concerts, cut saws, motorcycling, and especially stress as contributing factors. I definitely notice that my tinnitus is louder, and has added frequencies/tones, after long rides in really windy conditions. It does calm down to its normal jet engine volume after a day or two.

Interestingly, a few years back I found a book called 'Silencing the Storm' written by a retired medical researcher who developed tinnitus later in life and spent years working on a fix for his tinnitus. The cause of his tinnitus (as there are 1,000+ causes) that he concluded was years of pissing off the occipital nerve bundles in the neck from being stressed out (in simplified terms). He was able to fix his through over a year of neck strengthening and relaxations. Sadly I just lost the book in a flood and I can't find it on Google.

Anyways, I do see motorcycling being a cause of tinnitus in the form of the loud noise and added stress on the neck. However, for me, motorcycling is also the solution to my stress (insert Homer Simpson quote here). It's a cruel irony, but to help I spend the extra money for a lighter, more aerodynamic helmet as it is worth every penny. Now I am working on the windscreen and wind turbulence.

Any tinnitus sufferer has my deepest sympathies. Ten years of torture and I'm only 30, I hope somebody comes up with some better happy pills for it.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #38
BLU HWY
Guilty By-Stander

Oddometer: 936

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772631
Old 10-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #39
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU HWY View Post
I'm scared to go in the basement...
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #40
Motor7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Ahhh, I did not do a search. Looks like many threads, so it is way more prolific then I initially thought...at least here with the inmates. More reading for us Tin Heads

One more thing, along with this, don't know if it's related, but at times my hearing goes super sensitive. Even normal conversation seems really loud, certain sounds that never bothered me before irritate my ears.....hmmmm, maybe it is straightjacket time hunh?
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #41
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,185
I think some of you are mistaking Tinnitus for heading damage. I would say nearly every adult has some ringing in their ears from normal life whereas people that actually have Tinnitus have no choice but to wear ear plugs, sometimes 24 hours a day.
If you put nearly anyone in an anechoic chamber, they are going to hear ringing. People that have Tinnitus usually are exposed to extreme dB levels for years like people who have been to war, drummers, factory workers etc
As the hairs in your cochlea over time break and die, the brain fills in this absence with sound.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #42
TNWillie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
I started using these this year and switch back and forth between these and foam for comfort. These are more comfortable than foam for long periods.

http://earplugsonline.com/
I just ordered a sample pack after reading the reviews. I've tried ALOT of whats out there and even have a pair of the custom molded ones that I'm not impressed with. I've found that the ones from EARS work best for me but they're not very reuseable. I'm looking forward trying these "worlds best" ones out. Thanks for posting the link ;)
TNWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #43
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 125
I have tinnitus and hearing löss (60 dB both ears). I've been riding with protection/plugs always (500 k km) But my father and brother have or had the same hearing löss and tinnitus. My father had some audio trauma during the war, a grenade exploded quite near to him. But my brother does not ride, was not in the army and for hobby only rides horses. I think in our family genetics ais important.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #44
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,185
Quote:
I have tinnitus and hearing löss (60 dB both ears). I've been riding with protection/plugs always (500 k km) But my father and brother have or had the same hearing löss and tinnitus. My father had some audio trauma during the war, a grenade exploded quite near to him. But my brother does not ride, was not in the army and for hobby only rides horses. I think in our family genetics ais important.
I totally agree. I know people that are professional musicians and could care less about their hearing and they seems to be totally fine..... you have to choose your parents carefully
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #45
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
I've had serious tinnitus since about age 50 and I'm 64 now. As a child I raced karts. We ran open stacks. The races were a couple hours long on big tracks. WFO most of the time with the engine right behind my helmet. After every race my ears rang for about a week. Later I became an Army helicopter pilot during my war. I flew a Loach and wore a ballistic helmet with no ear plugs to interrupt hearing my radios. The new helmets had built in ear protection but I used the old Ballistic job. I am told most of my hearing loss was due to that. I started losing the mid ranges in my late 20's.

I raced MX for several years too, but we had small mufflers. Still, a pack of any kind of racing motorcycles are a big noise. I didn't wear earplugs, so that probably didn't help.

About age 50 I started riding again and I noticed the ringing of the ears lasted after each ride, then became constant. I'm so used to constant ringing now, I probably couldn't sleep if it went away. It's become an old friend.

I think the riding contributed to my tinnitus. I wear earplugs but only for about ten years. And not always.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote