Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #1351
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABREMAN View Post
Three months now.... where's the report, and better yet, pics???
Hey SABREMAN
I started a new thread for the ride you mentioned. Here is the link with all the pics --> Ride Report Even though the ride was short, it packed in a ton of adventure. Oh yeah!

It would be great to continue the No Return Ticket thread, but that ride is over. Thanks for checking it out though, anytime this thread comes up, I can’t stop myself from going back and checking it out, and relive parts of the ride, and dreaming of the next big ride. And that keeps life exciting.

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #1352
SABREMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Thank You!!!! You guys ARE THE BEST!!!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #1353
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 624
So what's the latest update? Still giving the sporty that serious TLC?
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #1354
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 528
A two-smoke dirt bike, great pictures, great narration, zombies, non-TAT!

Love it!
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #1355
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Thumb Preparing for the August Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
So what's the latest update? Still giving the sporty that serious TLC?
Hola Sportster amigo, I dig your bike mod thread man, look forward to more photos. What a blast doing the motor, yeah!

And yes, the cavebike is still being treated well, thanks for asking I’ll share a few recent ride photos of what I’m talking about, just for the fun factor of course.

Preparing for the August ride I still had plenty of tread on both tires but I found these cool knobbies on-line last winter. Now I have to put them on, for this ride, I don’t know why. I think the Haiti border ride got to me, I don’t know how to behave on my Harley anymore, all I want to do is off-road.

When I ride solo I always bring camping gear, I can’t imagine doing it any other way. It’s a blast getting everything together.

The first night in South Dakota, just outside Carthage, a micro village I just happened upon by chance. I was looking for the town of Manchester where I had to turn south to this lake, but I never saw any town, nothing. I finally went south and found Cabaret Steakhouse & Lounge. This place is not to be missed if you are ever in the area. Oh, and I found out that Manchester was blown off the map, the whole town in a tornado a while back. Wow, and I found out a lot of other info in Carthage.

On a road named Bia1, a fence pinned me in on both sides of deep mud, I had to turn it around. It’s like 20 miles back on this road before I’m somewhere north of Wounded Knee again. Crap, it was an adrenaline rush cranking the fully loaded Harley through all this to get here, now I gotta get out. Chilling out enjoying the surroundings I get to thinking that I am nuts.

cavebiker screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 04:58 PM
Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #1356
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Wicked One more

I got a little too close to the soup---

This is the best crossing on the way back out. Riding solo this far out in crap like this is a triple kick in the pants, I feel all jacked up just thinking about it, and I love that.

There is unlimited free camping in South Dakota.

Saturday afternoon, last night of the rally and I am 20 miles north of Hill City near some ghost town on a mountain pass dirt road and the cavebike slowly sputters to a stop. There is no phone anywhere and no cell coverage, Oh Darn.

It ain’t the carburetor…

cavebiker screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 05:06 PM
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #1357
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Cavebiker, that's really awesome! I am glad you found knobbies for it and enjoying your ride on the harley.

And thanks for posting your recently pic because that just reminded me when I saw your fuel tank.. how many gallons of fuel on it? 4? 5? And is the tank itself heavy or ? My sporty held 3.5 gallons of fuel and I could manage 150 miles out of it but the tank was so friggin heavy even if it is empty! Comparing it empty to KLR650's 5.9 gallon half full, it is about the same weight so it had to go! Also, when I rode KLR650 on Trans-America Trail last summer, I noticed that I was getting roughly 260-300 miles on the trail but a sad 240 miles highway so I realized that it would have not made any difference if I was riding a sportster or a KLR650.. the big difference will be riding it on the highway and not having to deal with overheating issues. I am stoked that I am just getting back to my sportster project now and expect to finish it by end of this year. I'll be in Colombia(SA) this November so that would explain why none of work will be done in Nov.

Are you and your other half planning a trip down in South America or ? It would be interested to know and I am planning Alaska-Argentina in 2015 with the possibility of doing TCAT (Trans-Canada Adv Trail) before Alaska. Maybe our path will cross one day?? Who know!? World is awful small place!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #1358
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Eek

This is where I spent the night. Yesterday a woman hiking and a couple biking took down my tow service telephone number and said they would call, and I’m sure they did but Allstate is all automated until you don’t have exact addresses or cross streets and then it gets real difficult for some reason, they have to know everything, bla bla bla. I’m sure my helpers called but had to give it up.

After hiking down the mountain and the hitching a ride to Hill City I call my tow. Then 20 miles back up the steep canyon road to get the bike, then on to Rapid City Harley Davidson. The tow team was a load of fun and the driver said he drove down Bia1 once and busted some huge pin, “never again” he said.

Rapid City, the biggest Harley shop in the world I think, and this is the last day of the largest motorcycle rally in the world. There are tons of bike rolling through and hundreds of trucks and vendors pulling out. I get in the back of the line with ten other bikes.

Good time to dry out the tent

There she goes---

Oh Yeah, $120 bucks, can’t beat that and in and out in just a few hours, Unreal! I had a bad cam sensor, the ignition timing sensor. That stuff happens.

It’s still the last day of the rally and I’m only miles away. Oh Yeah, I am out of here!

I have to see some old friends. I hope Angie will still be at the Full Throttle.

I missed It! Well ya can’t make them all, but What a Freaking Ride!

I ride until last light then force myself to look hard for a camping spot. I love to ride this way, it’s a rush, I have to pull out all my senses and put them into high gear. The darker it gets the tougher it is.

This feels like the same spot I stumbled on last year, all good.

Shots in the morning light are my favorite.

I could look for some stale coffee at a gas station, or…

I like South Dakota more ever ride. I hope you enjoyed it to.

Cheers!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #1359
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Cavebiker, that's really awesome! I am glad you found knobbies for it and enjoying your ride on the harley.

And thanks for posting your recently pic because that just reminded me when I saw your fuel tank.. how many gallons of fuel on it? 4? 5? And is the tank itself heavy or ? My sporty held 3.5 gallons of fuel and I could manage 150 miles out of it but the tank was so friggin heavy even if it is empty! Comparing it empty to KLR650's 5.9 gallon half full, it is about the same weight so it had to go! Also, when I rode KLR650 on Trans-America Trail last summer, I noticed that I was getting roughly 260-300 miles on the trail but a sad 240 miles highway so I realized that it would have not made any difference if I was riding a sportster or a KLR650.. the big difference will be riding it on the highway and not having to deal with overheating issues. I am stoked that I am just getting back to my sportster project now and expect to finish it by end of this year. I'll be in Colombia(SA) this November so that would explain why none of work will be done in Nov.

Are you and your other half planning a trip down in South America or ? It would be interested to know and I am planning Alaska-Argentina in 2015 with the possibility of doing TCAT (Trans-Canada Adv Trail) before Alaska. Maybe our path will cross one day?? Who know!? World is awful small place!
Hey WhicheverAnyWayCan,
The cavebike has a 4.3 gal tank and with the original engine I could get over 200 miles before reserve. the new motor gets 10% less millage so I'm now under 200. I got the tank off Ebay several years agi and it doesn't feel too heavy.

SA, Alaska, yes all planned someday so for sure hopefully we will meet up on the road.
Cheers,

Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #1360
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,626
Tom, good to see you got the bike fixed and back on the road. I had the cam sensor go bad on my Sportster too.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #1361
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker View Post

Nice one, and a great place to greet a new day! Always love your attitude, thanks for the update.
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #1362
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker View Post
Hey WhicheverAnyWayCan,
The cavebike has a 4.3 gal tank and with the original engine I could get over 200 miles before reserve. the new motor gets 10% less millage so I'm now under 200. I got the tank off Ebay several years agi and it doesn't feel too heavy.

SA, Alaska, yes all planned someday so for sure hopefully we will meet up on the road.
Cheers,
Hmm interesting.. when I got my bike, it was already converted from 883 to 1200 with Buell racing Thunderstorm heads, high compression 10.5.1 pistons, and a performance cam of .536 lift. That would explain why it is a bit of gas guzzler. My engine converting project is to switch from Thunderstorm heads to 04-06 heads because of better air flowing and it has an unique chamber that can handle turbulence better than 07+ heads. I am going with forged aluminum pistons and H-D's 'W' cams (.504 lift I think??) to go with the set-up and that will allow the engine to handle as low as 82-84 octane fuel so if I wanted to use 87 instead of premium fuel, the engine will do just fine for me. What type of MPG will I get? I will find out soon enough! I'd probably stick to premium when it is really hot, though!

Wish you knew the history of your engine.. could be something simple such as cam switch that could make a difference in improved gas MPG. Nonetheless, it is still a fine machine and shouldn't give you any trouble!! And thank god we wouldn't have to do valve adjustment or anything like that beside oil/primary change and tightening bolts.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #1363
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,264
MOST AWESOME!!

Great read

KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #1364
AyCaramba2007
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Holy smokes! What a great read. Wonderful tale of travel, adventure, and great photos.
Your story dispels all myths about ridability and comfort on a Sportster (2 up) and also no issues with the drive belt.
My wife and I have been all over South east Asia on our old Road King, and after reading this RR, we're setting less and limits on our next adventure. Thanx Cave Bikers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
AyCaramba2007 is offline   Reply With Quote