Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #31
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
In the late sixties I had a BSA Goldstar that had belonged to a nationally ranked flat tracker (Don Kiger); it had 13 to 1 compression. Parked it on my parent's car-port and forgot to retard the spark before kicking it. Luckily I was wearing a helmet, but the helmet still put a sizeable dent in the low ceiling of the carport.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #32
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
I had just spooned new knobbies on the Husky. Gas it down the wet blacktop driveway. Zero traction, can't stop, pumping the brake lever and pedal skidding and sliding heading for the street. My neighbor is coming down the street and stops to watch the whole thing. I manage to get on the grass where traction is better and I circle around back to the garage like the whole display was intentional.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #33
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
When I was younger me and a mate used to build rat bikes,( really bad survival bikes) we would look about for bikes that where either free or came with much cheapness, one day we picked up an xs250 that needed pretty much everything but could be made to look whole with an exhaust/handlebars and a tank. We got a tank from the scrappies and but a set of old bars from the parts bin but we did,nt have an exhaust, the exhaust that was on the bike was shredded and really only the core was intact, whilst having a lengthy 30 second think about it I came apon the idea that a Heinz baked bean can was really just the same as a silencer, and that with my fabulous fabricating skills I could make a new silencer out of the can, this was done and fitted to the bike in under 1 hour,(we had to have beans on toast to get rid of the evidence) one of the things we had not realised though was that the exhaust was VERY loud, another brain storming session and it was agreed that some form of packing was needed, as packing is really just steel wool I instructed my mate to just whip it off and put some in, some hours later sitting having a relaxing evening with the GF the door go's and low and behold its the mate looking quite upset and smelling like a chemical fire, it seems that he had but Brilo pads in the exhaust,(these are those steel wool pads that are impregnated with soap and used for cleaning dirty pots n pans), he had taken the bike out for a test ride when a guy on a beemer passed him pointing at his head and making the universal nutcase sign then pointing at the rear of the bike, when the mate looked behind him he said there was a 10 foot flame coming from the exhaust, he stopped and tried to put the flames out with his quality bike gloves,(cheap and nasty ski gloves) these having a burning napalm like substance went up as well, now that was 25 years ago and he still has the gloves as a reminder that there is no substitute for good quality bike gloves.
P.S. his hands where fine and we got the bike quicky style into a van and down to his parents garage, so if your where riding a K series up laurestan place in Edinburgh all those years ago....it wisnae me.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #34
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,136
Start bike in parking lot at work at the end of the day. As you pull out of your parking spot you pull in the clutch to pause and speak with a co-worker. Regional Director (the Big Boss) walks by and you give him a casual wave........with your left hand. Bike lurches forward and stalls, RD looks at you like you're a moron. Re-start bike and sheepishly ride away.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #35
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Whoever wrote the article worries way too much about people looking at him.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #36
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Whoever wrote the article worries way too much about people looking at him.
+1

1. everyone is suddenly looking at you
2. stop admiring yourself
6. Some of the drivers are checking out you and your bike...looking like a chump
7. knowing your neighbors may be watching you
9. Everyone is still watching you

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #37
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,730
So my boy is riding his little PW50, around my place, while his sisters are playing with the little neighbor girls. As he's riding past them, he glances over to see if the girls are "checking him out". Naturally, he drifts(left) and runs right up under our trampoline. The chin-bar on his helmet catches the trampoline bar and he's drug off his motorcycle, while the PW50 continues rolling for a few more yards.

I watched it unfold but couldn't stop it. Best lesson he's ever learned, while riding. Almost as good as when he rode his XR70 into the pond. When he stood up and water came pouring out of his helmet.

As for me, my first ride was a moped(with pedals) that had a sticky throttle, that worked like a cruise control. I was taking a short cut down a gravel sidestreet, when a lady backed out in front of me. I grabbed a handful of front brakes and went right over the top of that moped. I wasn't laughing that day.

Same moped, my brother was riding it in a grassy field and lows-sided. He was wearing shorts and by the time I got the moped off of him, he had a 2nd degree burn. I've never heard a person scream in such agony.

Took my boy moto camping, 2-up, just after he turned 5. The little varmint got sleepy about 60 miles from home and it took us about 3 hours to get home, for all the starting and stopping. Took a couple trips before I realized I needed a camping van and trailer. Now he can sleep all he wants and ride his own ride, when we get to where we're going.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #38
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
Stop on a steep ass hill facing diagonally. Realize lower leg is not 5 feet long.
Done that. Guy I was riding with pulled up to a stop and said, loudly, "DUMB ASS". Then realized he was in the same boat, and did the same thing.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #39
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,785
Was coming home a few weeks ago from a trip and got a little tickle in the back of my throat. So, I turned my head an coughed at bit. In my FF helmet. At 75mph...
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #40
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Was coming home a few weeks ago from a trip and got a little tickle in the back of my throat. So, I turned my head an coughed at bit. In my FF helmet. At 75mph...
I do this all the time. Do you usually hack up phlegm or something, because otherwise I'm not really seeing the problem.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #41
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
During my MSF BRC on the test day...
The procedure when you are off the bike is to close the fuel petcock, and of course, the procedure when getting on is to turn it back on, but I forgot that part.
While we talk about the fuel valve, we never make students fiddle with the silly thing- we turn it on in the morning and tell them not to worry about it. One day I went to ride a demo and was *almost* back to starting point when bike died. Smug student: "Did you turn the gas on?"

My KLR, for all it's cheapness, has a petcock that is both vacuum operated AND has an 'off'. I never turned it off because, hey- vacuum operated. Let roomie borrow it. He turned it off. I got two blocks... downhill... when it died. pushed it back home, changed bikes. Later that night- "Duh, you forgot to turn the gas on!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Riding a recent trade in home for lunch. A 1971 Triumph TR6C. (right handed shift) Go for the rear brake and shift down a gear then proceed to lift on the actual rear brake peddle and wonder why the hell it wont shift to the next gear.
You're not complaining, you're bragging about getting to ride the Triumph.

Many years ago, I made a plan to go riding with buddies on Sunday; then went out and got shit-faced falling-down drunk Saturday. Not far into the ride, I was forced to make a decision- whether to try to puke over, or under, the chinbar of my new $600 helmet. (BLARF- direct hit!) I will never, ever, ride hung over again.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #42
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I do this all the time. Do you usually hack up phlegm or something, because otherwise I'm not really seeing the problem.
No, mostly just the fact that I felt the need to turn my head...
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #43
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Bought a disc lock w/alarm before a major trip to the Smokies. 3rd day in, parked at the motel, checked in locked it up and took a shower. Wandered down to the office later with fellow riders to inquire about a restaurant. It was not in walking distance so we all jumped back on the bikes...yep...forgot the damn disc lock. Wheel was already cocked the way we were going...a nice 90 degree pullout, bang on the parking lot...then the alarm went off which was the icing on my embarrassment cake.

After that trip my buddy bought me one of these as a joke(the yellow one):

I actually used the thing for 3 more years...worked perfect
Man, I need one of those.

I was in a hurry during lunch, and had to make a quick stop at one the shops in busy downtown. Installed the disc lock on the front wheel, and carried my gear into the store. On my way back out, I was already putting my gear on to save time. Got the bike started just as an opening in traffic appeared. Leaned over, and hard on the throttle, I didn't even make it out of the parallel parking spot (luckily) before the bike threw itself onto the pavement. I picked it up, and acted all non-nonchalant until the cars that witnessed my get-off had made it down the street before I removed the lock.

My saddlebags and tank panniers saved the bike from damage, but it was still the single most embarrassing motorcycling moment I've had.

The worst part was that I had left the house that morning thinking about how stupid my wife's bike looked with that fluorescent cable running from the disc lock to the handlebars.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #44
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
you gas up and pull away from the pump only to have your bike die then realize you grabbed the green handle is filled with diesel
The green ones are petrol

On my r100gs I ran out off fuel and turn the tap to we're reserve should be only to find the taps were rebuild and the on and reserve are the other way round.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike

orangebear screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 03:09 PM
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #45
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Every once in a while I try to scratch my nose through my modular visor. I usually just laugh at myself!
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote