User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,708
Morning Skyuka/White Oak Mt. pic post

I took a quickie ride this morning to Skyuka mountain aka White Oak mountain outside of Columbus,NC.On the ride to the area,I knew it was going to be an interesting ride.I also went off roading unintentionally.Damn from brake and gravel filled curve.I kept it on two wheels,but I cleaned out the ditch for about 40 feet. If I would have had crash bars,I would have surely wrecked or at least got stuck.I didn't get pics of my mishap.I can't have you FFs laughing at me.

The entrance.
100_2345

The big falls.
100_2346

100_2347

100_2348

Looking off the White Oak side of the mountain.
100_2349

100_2350

Looking down on Columbus,NC and I-26.
100_2351

Looking over at Saluda,NC and Saluda Grade on I-26.
100_2352

An interesting sign on the way across to Skyuka side of the mountain.No spraying and no mowing.
100_2353

On Skyuka side,my head was in the clouds literally.There was a very fine mist in the air.Can't see anything off the mountain.
100_2354

One of the tighter switchbacks.It's tighter and drops more than it appears.
100_2355

Small lower falls.These falls are not connected to the larger falls.I think these are feed by a mountain side spring.
100_2356

This is what we call Whett Rock Curve.It has grown up,but there is a flat rock face back there and it stays wet year round,even in the driest summers.
100_2357

The actual curve.It really drops, or rises, depending on direction of travel.I couldn't get back far enough for a good pic because of the over growth and spider infestation.
100_2358

Exiting out Skyuka side of the mountain.
100_2359

And that was my morning ride.It was roughly 55*F when I left this morning and probably high 40's low 50's up on the top of the mountain.I prepared for the cold except my gloves are made for summer and I didn't wear insulated socks.My feet and hands got a little cool but not enough to cause tingles.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 57,760
Nice roads, looks like a fun ride! That country will be pretty in a few weeks when the trees turn color!

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote