Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #46
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 672
Sooo... dirt bike version. I used to race motocross (quitebadly, but I had a lot of fun) and I got an invitation from a friend to go desert riding. Now this friend not only owns a local dealership, but he and his friends are all also expert level desert racers, so I am nervous as heck. The day before I went over my CR with a fine tooth comb, new plug checked the jetting, rode around till i thought it was perfect and then, OH NO, the shiney gold chain is dirty, I'd better soak that in degreaser!
Next day I unload my perfectly prepared CR from the truck, ready for action, fired on the first kick, even idled smartly. As I was putting on the last bit of my gear, my buddy comes over and says, "pretty bike, but you aren't gonna get far without a chain" . I never got invited again.
BEEF706 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #47
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF706 View Post
Sooo... dirt bike version. I used to race motocross (quitebadly, but I had a lot of fun) and I got an invitation from a friend to go desert riding. Now this friend not only owns a local dealership, but he and his friends are all also expert level desert racers, so I am nervous as heck. The day before I went over my CR with a fine tooth comb, new plug checked the jetting, rode around till i thought it was perfect and then, OH NO, the shiney gold chain is dirty, I'd better soak that in degreaser!
Next day I unload my perfectly prepared CR from the truck, ready for action, fired on the first kick, even idled smartly. As I was putting on the last bit of my gear, my buddy comes over and says, "pretty bike, but you aren't gonna get far without a chain" . I never got invited again.
Oh OUCH!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #48
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
The green ones are petrol
In the U.S. the green ones are Diesel.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #49
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
I've done most of the 10 in the article.

First day of riding on my brand spanking new Yamaha FJ600 that I had just bought. It rained on the way home so I was soaked because I didn't have rain gear. Honked the horn as I pulled up the drive to get everyone to come see my nifty new motorbike. As the family all piles out the back door I pull into the garage and put my foot down. My WET foot. On the slick-as-ice concrete floor. The brand new bike and I hit the deck in a flailing mess. Dented the tank on my brand new bike.

Ledaing a group of n00bs on their first dirt ride. Got to a view point and I had them all hold up while I rode a bit up the hill to get a group picture. Where I proceeded to dump the bike trying to turn around. Of course they got pictures of me . . .

Riding through Oregon, stopped to take a picture of my bike in front of a dilapidated barn. Failed to judge how step the side slope was. I could "just" keep the bike upright with my tippy toe, but could not otherwise move. I couldn't push it back to the left. I couldn't get enough purchase to keep the bike upright if I leaned to the right. Sat there for about 5 minutes, straining to keep the bike upright and trying to figure out how to get out of the jam. Right as a Harley rider passes by, my leg finally gives out . . .

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #50
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
When the left pocket of the tankbag is full it hits the horn at full lock. And you only hit full lock in crowded parking lots.
The one time I did this I was in a full crowded ENCLOSED parking lot, with a stebel horn, while doing a fully committed U-turn I couldn't stop the blaring horn quickly...

I actually have a solution for the sneezing in a full face helmet. Sorta.
I grab the chin bar, so I sneeze on the outside of the fingers of my glove. That surface is exposed to much worse conditions than a sneeze anyway.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #51
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Oh, one more:

At the light, front of the line. Light turns green and I quickly notice that I only downshifted to 2nd gear on my approach, so I hastily downshift to first and try to get off the line and out of the way quickly...
Thanks to a frisky motorcycle with a short wheelbase, I cross the entire intersection doing a wheelie -my first ever- and I need to pull over to bring my heart rate down from 180 bpm.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #52
malott442
Loud, yet refreshing

Oddometer: 638
The first time you four finger the front brake on an enduro on a gravel road, and learn how high you can bounce off of the earth, collarbone first.

Stalling a bike at a red light because you let the clutch out without hitting the gas. Then subsequently "making up" for the stall by doing a rather nice balance point 20mph wheelie for 50 yards..... in front of an unmarked cop.

Getting pulled over for doing 32 in a 65 going the wrong way on a highway on a children's dirt bike- doing a wheelie.

Yeah, I'm a dumbass.
malott442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:39 AM   #53
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I've done most of the 10 in the article.

First day of riding on my brand spanking new Yamaha FJ600 that I had just bought. It rained on the way home so I was soaked because I didn't have rain gear. Honked the horn as I pulled up the drive to get everyone to come see my nifty new motorbike. As the family all piles out the back door I pull into the garage and put my foot down. My WET foot. On the slick-as-ice concrete floor. The brand new bike and I hit the deck in a flailing mess. Dented the tank on my brand new bike.

Ledaing a group of n00bs on their first dirt ride. Got to a view point and I had them all hold up while I rode a bit up the hill to get a group picture. Where I proceeded to dump the bike trying to turn around. Of course they got pictures of me . . .

Riding through Oregon, stopped to take a picture of my bike in front of a dilapidated barn. Failed to judge how step the side slope was. I could "just" keep the bike upright with my tippy toe, but could not otherwise move. I couldn't push it back to the left. I couldn't get enough purchase to keep the bike upright if I leaned to the right. Sat there for about 5 minutes, straining to keep the bike upright and trying to figure out how to get out of the jam. Right as a Harley rider passes by, my leg finally gives out . . .

During the 80,000 miles and 9 years I owned my 1150GS I dropped it more times, mostly in funny ways than I can remember.

1st drop was the 2nd day of ownership taking it off the center stand after filling up with gas. Fell into the gas pumps in a way it was impossible for me to right by myself. Had to ask a couple of construction guys getting their morning donuts and coffee to help right her. Of course I was BMW geeked out in full Savana suit and flip up Schuberth helmet.

Then there was the time at the Georgia Mountain Rally, after packing up in a fierce downpour. I am soaking wet, and just want to get on the road, again I attempt to take the pig off the centerstand where it plops down, I loose my balance and down she goes into a big puddle.

Probably the best though was on the way down to BYOB in KY a few years ago. We got a late start and were tired and hungry when we pulled into a Motel in Ashland Ky. Went to register, got our keys and then jumped back on the bike to pull in front of our room. I pulled into the same space as my buddy Chip so as to not take more parking spaces than needed. I go to put the Big Pig up on the centerstand like I have done a thousand times before, but this time I am tired and didn't give a big enough heave ho and just as I let go of the bike, I realized the stand did not lock into place, the bikes drops back down onto its suspension, gives a bounce as I frantically try to hold her up but she starts to fall away from me, towards Chips TDM850. Anyone who has had one of these pigs, know that as soon as she starts to fall away from you, you are done. She is going down! Anyway Chip was already in the room and did not hear my scream for help as she slowly falls into his bike. I hope beyond hope that his side stand would hold it for a couple of seconds so I could run around to the other side to push my bike off, but as soon as I let go of my bike, his bike then does the slow fall right into a brand new Chevy truck in the next space, his bar end right into the fender leaving a nice big dent! Fortunately his bike did not have any real damagae other than a scratch in his rattle can paint job but that dent in the truck cost me 1000 BUCKS!! Most expensive BYOB trip to date.

All the drops was one of the reason I finally sold that Pig earlier this year. But I sure do miss her.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 AM   #54
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
In the U.S. the green ones are Diesel.
That used to be the case, but there really is no industry standard anymore. They mix & match the pump handle colors differently at different gas stations. I even saw one place that had a blue handle for diesel....thats supposed to be Kerosene.
I swear sometimes I think they swap them around for cheap entertainment............"oooooh, look at this guy, staring at the pumps, nono pick the yellow one, now put that one back, stare again, reach for it reach for it....."
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #55
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 584
Do some extraneous shit that fucks up your usual routine before you ride.

Take off without realizing your bike is still chained to your car.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #56
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I am parked in the back of my garage. Bike does not have a kick stand safety switch. Take off and can't figure out why the bike is going to the right. Almost hit the wall. No witnesses.
shakeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #57
ptwohig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincadre View Post
When I was younger me and a mate used to build rat bikes,( really bad survival bikes) we would look about for bikes that where either free or came with much cheapness, one day we picked up an xs250 that needed pretty much everything but could be made to look whole with an exhaust/handlebars and a tank. We got a tank from the scrappies and but a set of old bars from the parts bin but we did,nt have an exhaust, the exhaust that was on the bike was shredded and really only the core was intact, whilst having a lengthy 30 second think about it I came apon the idea that a Heinz baked bean can was really just the same as a silencer, and that with my fabulous fabricating skills I could make a new silencer out of the can, this was done and fitted to the bike in under 1 hour,(we had to have beans on toast to get rid of the evidence) one of the things we had not realised though was that the exhaust was VERY loud, another brain storming session and it was agreed that some form of packing was needed, as packing is really just steel wool I instructed my mate to just whip it off and put some in, some hours later sitting having a relaxing evening with the GF the door go's and low and behold its the mate looking quite upset and smelling like a chemical fire, it seems that he had but Brilo pads in the exhaust,(these are those steel wool pads that are impregnated with soap and used for cleaning dirty pots n pans), he had taken the bike out for a test ride when a guy on a beemer passed him pointing at his head and making the universal nutcase sign then pointing at the rear of the bike, when the mate looked behind him he said there was a 10 foot flame coming from the exhaust, he stopped and tried to put the flames out with his quality bike gloves,(cheap and nasty ski gloves) these having a burning napalm like substance went up as well, now that was 25 years ago and he still has the gloves as a reminder that there is no substitute for good quality bike gloves.
P.S. his hands where fine and we got the bike quicky style into a van and down to his parents garage, so if your where riding a K series up laurestan place in Edinburgh all those years ago....it wisnae me.
Almost died laughing did same thing with the brillo pads in an old yamaha as a teenager.
ptwohig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #58
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,679
#3 all to often...

Quote:
Brain Fade 3: Damn it’s cold outside. Time to put on the cold weather gear. Step into that expensive riding suit, zip yourself in. Put on the backpack with chest and abdomen straps, pull on your helmet and put on those thick cold weather gloves. Walk outside to your motorcycle and realize your key is still in your jean pocket. (Ouch!)
I have also done this and then realized I haven't put my helmet on...ever try to use a d-ring strap with cold weather gloves on...
Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #59
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 270
This weekend out for a ride. Have a car cut me off and I have to stop real quick. Get the bike stopped no problem, except I forgot to put my foot down... so bike falls over at a busy intersection.

Of course I was wearing my airbag vest at the time and the bike goes over with me tethered to it. No doubt I looked like an even bigger dork, bike on its side, me standing at an angle trying to unhook the vest so I can stand upright.
revrandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #60
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Took my KLR in to get the throttle cable replaced under warranty. They had to pull my saddle bags. I should have checked how they tighted the nobs on my HT pannier holding a Pelican 1430. The case fell off at 1 am coming back from visiting my gf at her college. I was doing 60. Heard a noise(through plugs) and the bike leaned left all of the sudden.

I had to turn around and go back, it was laying in the middle of the road. The guy behind me didn't honk or flash, but fortunately he also didn't hit it. I saw a guy coming and he narrowly avoided it as well.

I was double checking my camera was in my top case leaving a sweet fly fishing hole after dropping my oakleys into a rushing creek. A bit flustered and sad when I mounted my idling bike my big doofy clown foot hit the shifter into first. The bike launched forward off the stand as it stalled and dropped the bike.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote