Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1104 View Post
I am not going to buy my kids a street bike ever, but they will have an assortment of dirt bikes.

After they are out of the house, they can do what they want.

But 16 year olds can barely drive a car, let alone a bike.
By the time I was 16 , I was already riding for 9 years. Don't wait.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
There's always the question of "what if something goes wrong" when I take my daughter out for a ride on the motorcycle, but I combat that with how much fun she's having, the time that she's spending with me, and wearing good gear. I'm careful while I ride, talk about why we wear helmets, and while driving in the cage we talk about safe driving. She's 6. I work at educating her and hope that she doesn't become a statistic. Even though it would come close to destroying me if anything were to happen to her I refuse to have her live in a bubble.
My daughter is also 6 and goes riding with me, only around town. I feel exactly the same way as you. I am not trying to judge anyone for any decisions, but I am rejecting the idea that these are easy decisions to make.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
By the time I was 16 , I was already riding for 9 years. Don't wait.
Sorry, but you sound like you're still 16.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,665
In my limited experience I've ridden around 50,000 miles of street and maybe a 1,000 of dirt (all single track/gnarly trail/two-track combined). Learned on the street. I've done just fine on the street but crashed twice in the dirt, first crushing my foot, then a twist fracture in my leg (not fun).

So in my experience, the dirt is not as deadly, but definitely harder to learn and more chances of being maimed. A bad street accident is far worse, no question, but if you are a weekend rider, occasional tripper, then I'd say street is safer. This also assumes you aren't a fuckwad and have half a brain and leave your ego behind when riding street.

I'd agree with others that learning dirt makes you a better street rider, but that doesn't necessarily mean dirt is safer. YMMV and all that jazz. Also, telling a teenager you can't do something just makes them want to do it more
Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
This also assumes you aren't a fuckwad and have half a brain and leave your ego behind when riding street.
So we're excluding all young adults. I mean, there have been studies on this stuff. Young adults have less than half a brain that is all ego, and extremely stupid decision making skills.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
Harry1976
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1104 View Post

But 16 year olds can barely drive a car, let alone a bike.

Thats a BS statement, I guess its how you raise and teach them, perhaps yours can't drive or ride but mine ride better than many who have been riding for years.
Teach them young and teach them well.
Harry1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #22
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Does anyone who rides street have any concerns about influencing your kids in that direction? I ride both dirt and street. And, my kids have grown up riding dirt. I go back and forth on this issue.
Nope, I ride and have no problems if they want to ride and show the maturity needed to ride. This goes for dirt and road. I will make sure they know how to use the bike and ride safe. I will also require them to take a motorcycle course before getting their license as well as making sure they have all the gear.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #23
devo2002
-Devo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1976 View Post
Thats a BS statement, I guess its how you raise and teach them, perhaps yours can't drive or ride but mine ride better than many who have been riding for years.
Teach them young and teach them well.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
So we're excluding all young adults. I mean, there have been studies on this stuff. Young adults have less than half a brain that is all ego, and extremely stupid decision making skills.
Not all, I think classifying all young adults as stupid is, well...stupid don't you think? My friend crashed 3 cars by the time he was 20, I haven't been in one accident and driving since 16...(knock on wood)

To the OP's question, are there concerns? Of course there are, I think your question should be do you point them in that direction or not. The answer to that is no, you shouldn't point anyone towards motorcycling street in my opinion. If they want to then they are going to and you should assist to make them the best rider possible, but nothing would feel worse then pointing someone towards riding just to have them crash.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #24
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Not all, I think classifying all young adults as stupid is, well...stupid don't you think?
not stupid, just not capable of making adult decisions. do some research on brain development.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #25
snooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
my daughter wanted a street bike..i showed her some pics and told her to get a dirt bike...end of issue..we both ride dirt....
snooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #26
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I worry about my daughter (just turned 15) when she rides her ATV with me, rides on the back of my bike, water skis, plays soccer, goes out for a jog, goes kayaking, or goes on a date.
She is already talking about her first street bike and when that day comes I will worry about that too. But on the other hand I am passing on my passions. That did not happen with her older sister (27) or her brother (29).
My parents didn't want me to ride on the street, but didn't try to stop me, even after my crash in 1983 that left me unconscious for 13 hours.
As a parent I will always worry about my kids, and pray for them, but when I look at the enjoyment motorcycling has brought me, the people I have met, the experience's I have had, how can I try to deny her that.
shakeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #27
devo2002
-Devo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
not stupid, just not capable of making adult decisions. do some research on brain development.
Show me multiple studies that portrays all teenagers as incapable of making adult decisions and I'll buy your argument. I don't need to do any research, my GF has her PHD in neurobiology and doesn't agree with you. Most...yes. All...no.

People of nearly all ages are able to play out scenarios in their head of what might happen in a given situation, not all teenagers need to touch the flame to realize it will burn them. I thought I was quite mature for my age and understood consequences pretty well, it did good to keep me out of trouble on the road and other situations. I attribute it to my upbringing. It doesn't take much reflecting on one's youth to remember your classmates ranging from idiots to savants.

Again, I was in zero accidents in 15 years and know plenty of friends that totalled numerous cars. Is it possibly all chance? I doubt it, I've been in the car with them, they still drive like they are 18 and I remember never being like that. I never drove drunk in high schol but had a few kids die in my school from doing so. Are you lumping me in with them? Seriously?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #28
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

just google it and draw your own conclusions. it's out there. here's one.

http://brainconnection.positscience....for-teenagers/

you are arguing with science. despite how mature a teenager you thought you were, it's little help for the rest of us parents who can't tell the difference between who you thought you were and our own children.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #29
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,644
All I can say is that I started riding at age 5 with my parents help, and it was one of the best lessons and best thing they ever did for me in this life.

Marc
Old 10-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #30
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
I was nervous having my 10 year old on my bike today. The steets were wet from previous rain but it was not raining. If it was just me I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I've also thought that since I ride he might want a bike when he turns 16. That does make me nervous. I didn't start riding until I was 25.
1998 Ural Deco
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote