Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Snivly Dweeb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
The $22k Joyride

In todays papers

OTTAWA — Police say a pair of Ottawa motorcyclists went on a reckless high-speed ride on a Quebec highway Saturday and filmed their actions, which helped officers hit them with 229 demerit points and $22,236 in fines.

“That's the highest we've ever had," Const. Martin Fournel said of the fines.

Officers arrested the two men, ages 29 and 26, almost right in front of the police station near Wakefield, Que., located north of Gatineau.

Police had received complaints about bikers making illegal passes.

Police said one of the bikers tried to hide a video camera, but officers seized it and watched its contents. The footage not only confirmed eyewitness accounts, police say, but helped investigators see several dozen other infractions from the same ride.

Time to hide the Ghost HD cam the next time I ride ..

Snivly in Montreal
Snivly Dweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Nice one. One of the reasons mine is for off-road duty only.

Sent on the go using Windows Phone
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snivly Dweeb View Post
In todays papers
officers hit them with 229 demerit points and $22,236 in fines.

Snivly in Montreal

That's uncalled for.

I thought Oregon was bad when they act like you just raped their wife, kicked their dog and burned their house down just because you crossed some mythical threshold into triple digits... And they only make you pay $3200.00 with an automatic impound and six month suspension.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Oh my God! Illegal passes, they should get the death penalty! The scoundrels! May they die a slow death and rot in hell.

You can't let them get away with this, or next thing you know, this will lead to bigger things, like Lane-Splitting aghast!

You Canadians crack me up, and I thought Florida was bad, sheesh!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Isn't the highest set speed limit in that area like, 100? (60 MPH)
Reduxalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
TRUBRIT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Stunt Riding problems????

Wonder if Quebec or anywhere in Canada have issues with packs of Idiots like in NY and St Louis? With this kind of deterrent I doubt it I think our Brothers in the North may be on to something.
TRUBRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUBRIT View Post
Wonder if Quebec or anywhere in Canada have issues with packs of Idiots like in NY and St Louis? With this kind of deterrent I doubt it I think our Brothers in the North may be on to something.
I think the overzealous , Nazi cops need to stay in Canada , ours are bad enough. I'm not saying ours do their jobs well , but they're too misguided as it is. We don't need more laws , we need non-biased , uninfluenced , unopinionated cops willing to do their jobs honestly all of the time whether they feel like it or not.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUBRIT View Post
No we don't have those problems... and the 22k is from the duration of the video where the nuts broke dozens of infractions of various penalties and fines.

I think this is a good thing and 22k in fines is probably a pretty good deterrent.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
No we don't have those problems... and the 22k is from the duration of the video where the nuts broke dozens of infractions of various penalties and fines.

I think this is a good thing and 22k in fines is probably a pretty good deterrent.
I don't really think it's a good deterrent. People will lose their licenses because they can't pay the rediculous fines and STILL drive out of necessity.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I don't really think it's a good deterrent. People will lose their licenses because they can't pay the ridiculous fines and STILL drive out of necessity.

Buy a cheap bike like an old beater SV1000. If the cops chase you run like hell, you've got nothing to lose. If they catch you let them have the bike, then buy another and repeat. Forget paying the fines. It cost money to lock you up.

Here is a quote from a Dallas News article on a bill they are now trying to repeal here.

http://www.texastribune.org/2012/11/...alance-budget/

It turns out that the program’s most spectacular achievement is the mass revocation of driver’s licenses of the 1.3 million Texans who couldn’t or wouldn’t keep up with add-on payments amounting to thousands of dollars in some cases. In all, 60 percent of drivers have fallen into arrears on the surcharges, to the tune of a combined $1.7 billion past-due bill to the state.
Now they make up a new class of unlicensed and mostly uninsurable drivers. Turner reckons that many are breaking the law to drive, if that’s what it takes to hold down a job to pay off a surcharge. What a sad irony.
Gonzales points out that uninsurable drivers have pushed up the cost of insurance for the rest of us who pay a total $1 billion a year for protection from those without coverage.

What do we do now? Throw 1.3 million people in jail?
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Some beurocrat will decide they just aren't fining the perpetrators enough.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 177
Here in Florida we get fined over a thousand dollars for popping a stupid wheelie. If the tire comes off the ground you can hand over about $1300 if a cop wants to push it. They can also take the bike. I had a fellow firefighter pop a wheelie and a cop lit him up. He ran. I don't blame him. If the fine was a couple hundred bucks, it would be lesson learned. Pull over, take your lumps and move on. Nobody can afford that kind of fine. It is out of hand.

While I suspect the OP's example is for really reckless riding, there is no way those guys are going to be able to pay that. They should be punished, no doubt, but the punishment should fit the crime. This is too much.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post

So if they are speeding for say 100 km or so....do they only get 1 speeding ticket? Or do they get a speeding ticket every time they pass a speed limit sign?

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMedic View Post
Here in Florida we get fined over a thousand dollars for popping a stupid wheelie. If the tire comes off the ground you can hand over about $1300 if a cop wants to push it. They can also take the bike. I had a fellow firefighter pop a wheelie and a cop lit him up. He ran. I don't blame him. If the fine was a couple hundred bucks, it would be lesson learned. Pull over, take your lumps and move on. Nobody can afford that kind of fine. It is out of hand.
Wheelies and triple digit speeds don't happen by mistake, motorcycles are a bad choice for those who lack self control.