Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #106
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
Humm, I see your really roughing it, Eh!

Glad to see you and Rainbow out having a generally good time. Never met MTlee but sure there was a smile under the helmet.

SO, did you head over to the Apple Jam Gathering? I so wanted to go, but after being away from home for a month I am playing catchup around the house.

The Battery incident made me chuckle, I kinda remember a similar event in Idaho City awhile back

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #107
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,792
Hi Sam,
I didn't rough it much this year at all. You might have me MTLee at Hells Canyon and yes she did have a big smile under that helmet during the entire time we were out.

Nope didn't go to Apple Jam's shindig, in fact I spent the weekend at home. My 650 just came home from the shop Sat. after a 45,000 mile service and the Superbug is in line for a 20,000 mile service, chain, sprockets and tires. Darn motorcycles demand attention at times.

Ahhh yes, Idaho City. That one was user error this time is was worn out battery.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #108
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

We figured we would camp at the Fairgrounds in Tygh Valley where the Ladies Ride gals camped the night before even though they were already gone and would be camped at Timothy Lake. I spotted the camping area at the Fairgrounds and while it didnít look all that great it looked OK. I didnít want to make the decision for all of us so I stopped at the gate to see what the other two thought. Just as I was asking them "music" started to play, incredibly bad music. Rainbow007 said someone mentioned to her there was a music festival taking place at the fairgrounds that weekend. Iím sure the people there were having fun but it wasnít the place for us and off we went.

I remembered White River Falls State Park was nearby so we headed for it thinking the park would have camping. The ride was nice but when we got to the park we discovered itís a day use park. Darn, but since we were there we would check it out.

We had a nice break, took a walk and enjoyed the falls.

OK we at two tries for camping and still no luck. I knew there was camping along the Deschutes River near Maupin so we would head toward Maupin and find a camping spot along the river.

We stopped at a viewpoint above the river and watched some Native Americans fishing.

They were using nets and long poles.

Then we started seeing people floating the river and camps full of people along the river, one full camp after another. Oh the parties on the river would be good that night.

We kept going until we got to Maupin. It was getting late and it was looking like we were going to have a difficult time finding a place to stay. Just at the edge of town was a motel and we stopped to see if they had a vacancy. They did and we got the last two rooms.

MTLee was pleased to be assigned the Buckskin Mary room.

And she didnít follow the parking directions.

Rainbow007 laughing about something, could be anything.

Geez Iím a doofus.

MTLee decided to take pictures of stickers.

She was giggling while she was taking the pictures.

Time for bike maintenance.

Rainbow007 holding the bike while MTLee lubes the chain. The man watching is the owner of the motel. He wanted to hang out with us and visit.

OK now I should feel guilty, thatís my bike getting the chain lubed and Iím taking pictures while they are doing the work.

I missed what was going on here. I know Rainbow007 and MTLee were giggling which there was plenty of and then all the sudden Rainbow007 was doing pushups.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #109
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post

Don't you have a ride report you should be working on.
I'm thinking about working on it

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #110
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Great ride photo's with the gal's.

Love these tricky cache's. I once found a cache with a fake plastic sewer pipe tube inside an old sewer pipe near a railroad depot. Always looking for what's out of place!!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #111
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Those tricky caches are a lot of fun when you finally find them. Sometimes they are a lot of laughs.

My favorite was shortly after I started caching. I talked Rainbow007 into going with me to look for a cache near her house. It was in a brushy wooded area. The trees were all small with a diamenter of 2-4 inches. We looked and looked. Rainbow was getting bored with this tromping around in the bushes and getting slapped in the face with branches so she pulled up a chunk of wood and had a seat while watching me looking and looking and looking. Finally we gave up.

When I got home I looked up the cache and read about two years worth of find posts looking for clues. The clue I came away with was that the cache was clever . The next day I talked Rainbow into going out there again. It took us a while but we finally found it. It was in that chunck of wood she was sitting on the day before. The bark on one side had been removed, a hole cut into the wood for the cache then the bark was velcroed back on.

The chunk of wood was way out of place, it was a different type of wood and much larger than the little trees in the area.

We've laughed about that one a number of times.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #112
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Day 3 Ė Part 1
Sunday July 28, 2013

We were up early but an early start wasnít in the cards since the gas station didnít open until 8:00 am and we needed gas. We had an errand we wanted to take care of and had time to do it before the station opened.

The night before the owner of the motel recommended the Rainbow Tavern for dinner. We had dinner there and Rainbow007 took a photo of her bike in front of the tavern.

She wasnít that thrilled with the picture and preferred to have one without the bouncer in the picture. Early on a Sunday morning should be a good time to do this.

The window on the side of the building looked sort of cool and I tried to get a good picture there but I got more reflection than picture.

A grumpy guy with the keys to the tavern ruined the photo shoot, yelling and cussing about the bike on the sidewalk. He was yelling "I donít know where youíre from but we donít park on the sidewalk here". There were a few other things yelled with some choice words added. Apparently heís not a morning person. Here are three goofy women on motorcycles giggling, laughing and taking pictures in a tourist town and heís yelling at us.

Maupin, OR isnít on my list of places I want to return to.

After that it was time for the gas station to be opened so that was our next stop.

The people here were much friendlier, they didnít care where we parked and let us take all the pictures we wanted.

Rainbow007 made a new friend.

MTLee said her clutch felt sticky so she was checking it out. The guy working at the gas station asked her what was wrong and helped her check it. It ended up everything was fine with the clutch. This is a new bike for MTLee and she is getting used to the differences between her old Valkerie and the TW200.

The nice gas station people made up for the nasty tavern people.

From Maupin,_OR we rode the Bakeover Rd. the 25 miles to Shaniko,_OR.
I remember the ride being pleasant but for some reason I didnít take any pictures. There must not have been anything spectacular along the way.
We spent some time here:

The school was built in 1901. It used to be light yellow with brown trim and I liked how it looked that color better than the present color. Believe it or not they didnít ask my opinion before painting it.

There were a number of these signs though out town. Welcome to ShanikoÖ.

Ice Cream!!!

Ooooooo no Mr. Bill, itís not open. Weíll be back.

Letís check out the Texaco Station

We were batting a thousand this morning. We walked across that dead grass toward the Texaco station and were greeted by an elderly man that came out of the station. He lectured us about the rattlesnakes in the area asking if we had seen the sign and telling us the dangers of being in that grassy area. He wasn't impressed that we were wearing boots and told us how far a hospital was from Shaniko and we could die from snakebite. Heís right about one thing, if a snake bit me I probably would die, from a heart attack, since Iím terrified of snakes.

He was trying to be nice and didnít want us to get bit by a wild snake but I sure was feeling like a bad child being scolded for the second time that morning.

We checkout the cool old Texaco Station with no gas.

The wedding chapel was at one time a school and a church. Now if you have a desire to get married you can do it there. I wonder if the rattlesnakes will attend the service?

Nice house

Shanikoís welcoming committee greeted us and she sure was nice.

The nice lady told us to be sure to see the barn and that she would go unlock it for us. OK we can follow directions sometimes.

Ooooooooo looky there, more car shopping and this time we get to choose from pickups too.

I think they are trying to tell us something.

Needed to visit the facilities. The picture didnít grab the upper windows very well. In the left window is manís legs and the right has a womanís legs.

This is the first time I have seen a toilet flush by pushing a red button in the tank.

We better start obeying those signs around town or they might put us in this.

And take us here.

Uh oh, they already got Rainbow007.

Jailbreak, almost.

The wanted posters were fun to read and check out the bird nest above them.

There were baby birds in the nest.

The mama bird was outside when we came in and when she wanted to come back in MTLee was standing in the doorway and got dive-bombed by the bird.

Iíll leave you visiting with the bird and be back later to show you more of Shaniko.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #113
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

This looks like a comfy camp.

The back view

Until now I had no idea John Deere made wagons.

A good example of modern day vs. a time gone by.

I like touristy stuff

Goody, theyíre open.

Times sure have changed.

Hello, Mom?

Talking with one of the Ladies in town we found out until just this summer the population was 26. Sadly two brothers passed away within just a few weeks of each other a few months earlier. She told us what they died from but I forgot Ė maybe one had a heart attack and the other had cancer.

Back outside to see what else we could find.

Uh oh, MTLee decided to do some clothes shopping.
Itís the horsey shirt!

Oh my gawd she likes it. It goes well with the windchime.

Meanwhile Rainbow007 was going for the leopard trimmed hand bag.

What? Closed? OK fine weíll go somewhere else.

For all you guys I got a picture of a pretty little biker chick for your viewing pleasure.

Be sure to watch for traffic while in Shaniko

We make a quick stop at the hotel and MTLee and Rainbow007 rapidly made friends with the hottest men in town.

Sheesh, they both have mates, Iím the only one single, and they hog the good men. OK fineÖ.. I'll have ice cream instead but first I need to peek through the windows of the hotel.

It sure is a pretty lobby. Too bad itís closed.

Rainbow007 didnít want to join us for ice cream she wanted to play with her computer instead. There was a rattlesnake sign out there too but she didn't care.

With all the rattlesnake warnings it was getting a little tense. MTLee tipped her head just right while she was standing next to the table and her bifocals made it look like there was something wiggly in one of the cracks. I had no idea MTLee could jump that far.

Ice cream parlor

Similar to an internet cafť they have a phone.

MTLee and I got ice cream but didnít slow down long enough to get a picture of it. It was yum yum good.

After the ice cream was devoured MTLee let it slip that she was soon to be married and said she thought she would wear the horsey shirt for the ceremony. I was excited to hear she was getting married and started squealing like and excited teenaged girl. Then things got real silly and we had lots of laughs as MTLee tried on her wedding dress.

Oh yes, over the camel back. No need to get dehydrated during the ceremony, always be prepared.

Score, it fits and even buttons up and over the camel back.

Just in case you arenít able to see the design on the shirt in the pictures those are horse shoes with a horse head in them.

Letís see how it looks on the bike. Wedding dress/riding jersey it's a multi purpose horsey shirt.

Iíll bet this was a lot funnier to us while we were there than it is to those of you reading this. Just thinking back at all the jokes makes me giggle sitting here in my living room.
Remember what I said about good memories? Well, I have them.

Just in case you are tempted to break the law in Shaniko just a reminder how they deal with lawbreakers.

Letís see where this takes us

Old 10-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #114
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Day 3 Ė Part 2 Ė it was a long day full of fun
Sunday July 28, 2013
A Journey Through time

This next section will take us to a place I wanted to go since the 80s. I got close a few times but didnít make it until now.

In the 80ís the news was filled with reports of a cult/commune in Eastern Oregon developed by a man called Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh who was from India. The Big Muddy Ranch (where the John Wayne movie Big Muddy was filmed) and some surrounding areas covering over 100 square miles had been purchased by Rajneesh and turned in to Rajneeshpuram. They were trying to take over the area or at least a big part of the area.

Rajneeshís followers wore robes in the "color of the sunrise" (orange/red) and special necklaces called malas (prayer beads).

The following 4 photos are from the internet.

Greeted by followers during his daily drive by in 1982.

By the time left he had acquired 93 Rolls-Royces. He wanted 365, one for each day of the year. Reports were that he wasnít a very skilled driver and need to be pulled out of the ditch occasionally.

1983 tent city

They had everything in Rasjneeshpurham including a paved airstrip.
Air Rajneesh Big Muddy Ranch Airport 1985 (Ted Quackenbush photo)

Bhagwan_Shree_Rajneesh has been described as charismatic the same way Charles_Manson was described after his followers in the Manson family killed people for no reason in the 60s and Jim_Jones who either lured or forced 900+ people to drink cyanide in Jonestown in the 70s. References to drinking the Kool-Aid are made on ADV frequently and I wonder how many people really know where the saying came from.

All three men had followers willing to die and/or kill for them. I suppose to be able to get others to do things like that a person would need to be very charismatic.
I donít see the charisma in the photos or films of any of these men but itís obvious they drew people in for whatever reason.

Rajneesh didnít manage to kill people like the other two however he or his followers did try. They were able to introduce salmonella into some of the salad bars in The Dalles, OR as a Bioterroattack.

Watching the news accounts of these things taking place in the 60s, 70s, & 80s was much too graphic for my tasted but had and still has me curious how these things happen. Why do people want to follow these men I would classify as crazy? I wanted to see where Rajneeshpuram was located because from news reports they were out in the barren countryside, in the middle of no where, and miles from other people. It seemed that for the most part these people were cut off from civilization however they had all the modern conveniences.

A couple of years ago I tried to make my way to where Rajneeshpuram was once located however I tried to go in from the west. The route I had laid out had me riding from Madras through Hay Creek Ranch, on to Ashwood, Cold Creek Camp Rd., Big Muddy Rd and on to Rajneeshpuram.

The route start off as a terrific route but when I found this muddy patch I decided since I was alone, riding my 650 and wasnít even on the road called Big Muddy Rd. yet I thought maybe I shouldnít try it. It doesnít take much to get me to wimp out.

I donít know how large Hay Creek Ranch is but I suspect it pretty danged large. Thatís part of the Ranch property behind my bike and I had passed the main entrance and building miles back. This is where I turned around to head back. I'd like to go back and ride this road and explore the area more. It's beautiful out there.

OK, I got a little sidetracked so itís now back to the ride. We didnít take the Hay Creek Ranch route since MTLee had never been to Shaniko and it had been years since Rainbow007 had been there so we had to make a visit.

From Shaniko weíre now headed south toward Antelope, OR, the small town that was the hub of all the controversy Rajneesh and his follower had brought to this normally quiet area.

Not a bad road to ride and no traffic.

The school in Antelope, OR

I believe Rajneesh once owned this cafť.

Not all buildings are this nice

Most have seen better days

The trailer is Antelopeís post office.

Antelope post office was established in 1871, with
Howard Maupin, founder of Maupin, Oregon, as the first postmaster.

In the mid-19th century, Antelope was along the wagon road connecting
The Dalles on the Columbia River with gold mines near Canyon City. After about 1870, the wagon road became known as The Dalles Military Road.[9] The road crossed the Deschutes River on Sherar's Bridge.[10]

On September 18, 1984, Antelope's charter was amended by a vote of 57 to 22 to change the name of the city to Rajneesh but it wasnít long until the people of Antelope were able to change the name back.

Cool old locks on the mailbox

With that we were headed out again and I will be back to tell you about the ride to what was once Rasjneeshpurham.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #115
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

After about 5 miles of riding a gravel washboard it was time to stop for a geocache.

MTLee is getting good at this.

Back to its hiding place goes the geocache

After Rajneesh fled the United States Rajneeshpuram was sold and became Washington_Family_Ranch a Youth Life Camp. The cache is located at the border of the Ranch. I was surprised to find the road changed from gravel to pavement. It was old broken up pavement but I had no idea they had even paved the road in. I guess it was to pamper the Rolls-Royces.

The next 15 miles the scenery was rugged and beautiful in the way only the high desert can be.

The road was about to get steep going down and the dirt road off to the left is the truck route.

As we crested the hill the view was quite breath taking even though the pictures don't do it justice. I donít know what the buildings are.

Even up closer I couldnít figure out what the buildings were. They looked like long storage sheds, perhaps they are.

The ride down to the valley was fun and Rainbow007 got some shots as we rode.

They even have their own reservoir on the ranch.

Cool rock outcroppings on the hillside.

Entering the more populated part of the Ranch (Rajneeshpuram).

The buildings/hangers at Air Rajneesh Big Muddy Ranch Airport now.

There werenít any airplanes sitting around but the airstrip is certainly still there.
The black pavement is the road we were riding and on the right, the brown gray pavement, is the airstrip.

On the other side of the road there was this apartment type building. Perhaps where staff lives now.

What do we have over on the right?

Nice!!! A map to tells us where we are, whatís here and where we are going.

A closer look of the map. The black line is the county road and we had just come from where the arrow is pointed to wilderness.

There are a couple hotels showing on the map. I wonder if they are open to the public and if they are expensive? It could be fun to stay there for a weekend.

Water tower

These are listed on the map as cabins. Much different than the tent city from back in the 80s. Even though itís supposed to be a youth camp there wasnít a tent to be seen anywhere.

There was also a huge water park at the far end of the complex however I missed getting a shot of it. Itís a mighty luxurious camp. The road through the camp was paved and at the edge of the populated area the road turned to dirt.

Rainbow007 was able to get some shots as we rode a ways down the dirt. I was in the lead and MTLee was behind me.

Even though I knew the road wasnít taking us the way we wanted to go I continue on about 5 miles just to see where the road was going and besides it was a fun road to ride.

When we decided to turn around I had Rainbow007 take the lead so I could try and get some shots of the two of them riding.

It wasnít long until we were back on the pavement and it was easier for me to take pictures on the fly.

In some places there wasnít much pavement left.

The pavement got better and the view was even prettier.

Stopped to check out the emergency phone.

Didnít even think about it but I should have checked to see if there was cell reception out there anywhere. My guess there wasnít but it would have been fun to check.

Then we were back on the washboard gravel and on our way again . . . . .

Old 10-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #116
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Rajneeshpuram, very interesting history. The youth ranch almost seems just as mysterious. Guessing the folks of Antelope don't have much nice to say about Rajneeshpuram. During my spare time, I'll do more www exploring of Rajneesh, just cause.

Posting some incredibly interesting stuff in this thread.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #117
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Thanks. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Where the heck is Sand Hollow?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #118
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post

Where the heck is Sand Hollow?

An area @/near Exit 17, I-84 between Caldwell, ID and Ontario, OR.

Name sounds cool, but the area is boring!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #119
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Next time I'm in the Caldwell/Ontario area I'll pay attention for the boring area with the cool sounding name.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #120
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

The visit to Rajneeshpuram was interesting although I sure wish I would have gone to see the site a year or two after it was abandon rather than this many years later when it is so much different. The one thing that is remains the same is it is very remote.

Rainbow007 lived in Iowa during the 80s and she didnít remember hearing of the things taking place in Oregon. She was busy doing other things and not glued to the TV. Meanwhile MTLee was in Montana and she said she vaguely remembered a little bit of it but it was clear that the orange robed cult in Oregon didnít make the impact on them that it did me. But they were more than willing to go check out the site so it was a fun being there with them.

Seeing things after they changed so much is a good reminder that changes happen and sometimes rapidly. If I want to see something how it is when I develope an interest in it I need to get out there and see it now rather than waiting thinking those sites will remain the same.

It was hot, not as hot as the first day we were out, but it was still plenty hot. At Clarno we needed to take a little break. I like the arched bridge over the John Day River.

At the east side of the bridge is a rest area, boat launch and a good place for a short break. We didn't stay long because it was too hot to stay still.

My plan was to ride a road that goes north of the John Day Fossil Bed but I didnít spot the road and I was too hot to mess with turning around to go look for it once I realized I missed the turn. Itís one of those things I will have to go back and do again. We stayed on Hwy 218, which isnít a bad road to ride.

Things opened up but it didnít matter because by this time I just wanted to get to Fossil for fuel, lunch and air conditioning.

Fuel in Fossil

Lunch time in a nice cool restaurant.

The walls were decorated with saws.

Beautiful downtown Fossil

Enjoying the flowers along the way

I donít think I would hire a painter that needs to paint the building they work out of.

We were on our way again and we needed to get some where and find a place to stay for the night.

Look at that pretty new pavement. It contrasts nicely with the gold wheat field. I sure hope we donít get it dirty with our dirty motorcycles.

We made our way to Heppner, OR where we stayed for the night.
I like the murals on this building which houses a museum.

After we got checked in we went for a walk looking for a place for dinner. We wanted pie for dinner.

Nice courthouse.

We walked around town but the only place open we could find to eat was the bowling alley and they didnít have pie. We found a convenience store and thought we could find a hostess pie but they didnít even have that. No pie for us.

This is where we stayed for the night.

After having the guy yell at us for one bike being on the sidewalk in Maupin I wasnít comfortable having my bike on the sidewalk but the owner of the motel said it was OK. Meanwhile there were two shiny motorcycles parked on the street right in front of where our bikes are parked, a Harley and a Goldwing.

Heppner is a nice town and I enjoyed the stay.