Oddometer: 1,217
AND... Another great one Dave!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #47
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,934
Day 3

I head back north in Black Canyon...

and have to cross all of those washes again. I find them easier the second time around and ended up making good time.
I also don't have to stop as much for photos since I just came through here.

I turn east on Mud Mountain RD and am happy to see the sandy sections have ended.
I find this idle machine that has a lot of work now due to the big storm.

The ride through Road Canyon was easy and recently graded.

Somewhere around the summit the road passes through a forest of stark trees from a past fire I presume.

I reach the CR-5/Mt Trumbull Loop RD. I check the maps and the GPS to determine if I can reach a point tonight.
I intended to get to Kelly Point, but the distances are just to far for my remaining fuel. I decide to try reaching Twin Point for the night.

I snacked on canned meat for a quick lunch.

I head south on Mt Dellenbaugh RD...

...and meet this group of friendly KLR riders. They are the first people I've seen since the other side of Lime Kiln Pass yesterday.
They had spent the night at Bar-10 Ranch and were on the way to their truck and trailer parked in Las Vegas.
They were looking for the turnoff to Hidden Canyon. Hmmm... I start explaining the fun I've been having all day with the washes.
The leaders eyes got real big and he says, "Sand?" He looks around at his buddies and declares the KLRs are no good in sand.
I have no idea if they changed their route or not. Only one of them admitted to ever visiting advrider.

The sign to Twin Point was propped up against a tree.

For awhile I get to ride in a nice forest of Pines and Oaks.

I even found a few mud puddles.

You probably wouldn't want to ride this road after a good rain, but these puddles were no problem.

Not many visitors sign in here. That's almost a full year.

Trail Texture

I had calculated when I absolutely HAD to turn around to make it back to town for fuel.
When the trip meter told me I had to reverse direction I was nowhere near the end of the point.
I rode another 3.4 miles...

...before finding a nice camping spot at the edge. I was still short of the end of the point by about 4 miles.

I set up camp and eat dinner.

I'm sure the view would be better if I had enough gas to make it to the end of the point...

...but I'll settle for this view.

The colors were still nice as I crawled into the tent to enjoy my book and solitude.

The stars really came out tonight. The lights across the canyon are from the Grand Canyon West area of the
Hualapai Indian Reservation, which includes an airport and the Skywalk tourist trap.
The bright glow to the right is probably the lights of Las Vegas about 85 miles away.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #48
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Hey Dave - Great RR so far. Thanks!

Sometimes you have to back off a bit, especially when solo a long distance from pavement.

I was out exploring some backways between Beaver Dam Wash and Mesquite yesterday. Came to a few hills that ATVs had gone up, tearing some ruts. Decided not to give it a go on the moto. Too much chance of dropping wheel in a deep rut at the wrong place. No easy way to self extricate.

A few pics from a ride to Oak Grove (headed to Twin Points) when I ran out of time. Always a reason to go back.

Kelly Point to the left. Twin Points to the right. This ride was last March. It was Springtime in St. George, but I knew the higher elevation of the AZ Strip would still be cold. Had made good time to this point, although there were some ruts in the road.

Then I hit the big trees of Oak Grove. This meant shade, snow, and mud. Lots of mud.

Although I got through, it chewed up all my time. Never did get out to Twin Points. Have to go back with a tent and spend the night. It's all about the sunset and sunrise -- as you've shown your ADV followers many times.

Anyhow . . . since you ended up 4 miles short of the Point looks like you have a reason to go back as well.

Following along. Very interested to see the next phase of your trip. Probably going to include some time with the boys at Rocky Mountain ATV in St. George.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #49
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 4 To St. George

I watch the changing light at sunrise while I pack up camp and chew on a cereal bar.

I head back up the trail...

...through the forest...

...Mt Dellenbaugh Road...

and the Mt. Trumbull Loop.

Mt Trumbull Loop is the graded super-highway out here.

I was excited to reach this sign without the low fuel light coming on.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #50
srhayes
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks for the ride report!! I recently went through each of your past reports and loved each one and couldn't wait for a new one. Your pictures are awesome! Keep it coming!
srhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #51
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 431
Eh? staged picture - Not buying it!!!

Ok this looks like a staged shot on some hollywood backlot do you expect us to buy this is real??

really love the pictures and your ride report thanks for sharing!!!

Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #52
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 410
^ I was going to quote the same pic, awesome. That bush or is it a cacti? on the right looks trippy
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #53
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,690
Great ride report of an area I'd love to explore someday on a moto. Took a family trip there several years back and had a great time.

...and thanks for several new background images for my desktop! Fantastic stuff!
Little Blue goes looking for Orange
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #54
CalamariKid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Inspiring, entertaining, and each picutre is like a visual french pastry. Thank you for sharing this!
CalamariKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #55
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
I usually try to avoid lens flare, but this one turned out interesting.

Awesome, awesome, awesome shot.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #56
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
I hate how awesome your pictures are. They make mine look like garbage . Carry on.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #57
RonSJC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
What Camera?

Hey Great ride report. what camera are you using. Great shots!
RonSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #58
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

St George, Utah

I head down the hill towards St. George.

I made it all the way to town without the low fuel warning, so now I'm kicking myself for not riding out to the tip of Twin Point.

At first an internet search revealed no KTM dealers. That's because its actually in the nearby suburb of Washington, UT.
After an excruciatingly long death-stare into the computer screen (at least 8-10 minutes) the guy at
the parts counter confirmed what I already knew, No KTM dealer EVER stocks the part you need.

Plan B: Surely all that needs to be done is to weld the broken tube shut and I'll be back in business.
At the welding shop I get a crash course in metallurgy and how the petcock is pot metal. They said they couldn't weld it.
Luckily one of the welders, a young guy with a full beard named Mac, rode dirt bikes and told the boss how he could fix me up.
At first I was reluctant to go with his idea of making a new part and considered trying the JB Weld route.
Mac cleaned and wire-brushed the broken part for me and I was about to leave when he convinced me to let him make the part.

The Broken OEM Part

The New Part

Throughout all of the repairs I kept an eye on the clock with the intention of making it back out to Kelly Point by sunset.
After the part was made Mac and I made multiple attempts to align and seal the gas in with different o-rings, with no success.
I left the welding shop with a new part, but no way to seal the gas in. It was almost 2 PM when I picked up a tube of gasket maker.
Even if I left town now, I would have a hard time making it all the way out to a point before dark.
Making a gasket was not a job I wanted to rush so I ended up checking into the La Quinta hotel for the night.

It was nice to have a shower after working on the bike in the heat wearing waterproof pants. Yuck!

I had some dinner while I let the new gasket dry.

I then rode around town looking for groceries and taking in the sights.
The most prominent part of the skyline was the St. George Temple.

dave6253 screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 08:53 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #59
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
Sometimes you eat the "HUMBLE PIE" and sometimes the pie eats you. I have done 4 large solo trips and one must sometimes ride smart to ride another day.

Nice report.............
I agree. I don't like pushing myself to uncomfortable limits when alone. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
AND... Another great one Dave!!!
Thanks for coming along again, DesertSurfer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Anyhow . . . since you ended up 4 miles short of the Point looks like you have a reason to go back as well.
Yes. I left many reasons to go back...
Old 10-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #60
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhayes View Post
Thanks for the ride report!! I recently went through each of your past reports and loved each one and couldn't wait for a new one. Your pictures are awesome! Keep it coming!
Hey thanks, srhayes! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed even my old reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biebs View Post
Ok this looks like a staged shot on some hollywood backlot do you expect us to buy this is real??

really love the pictures and your ride report thanks for sharing!!!
Biebs, Some of my shots are staged in the sense that I seek out scenic spots to camp and even think about which direction to park the bike and place the tent that will work best for the photos. That one is a single exposure with the real sky in the background though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
^ I was going to quote the same pic, awesome. That bush or is it a cacti? on the right looks trippy
CaseyB, The bigger plant behind the bike is a Joshua Tree, a species that pretty much only grows in the Mojave Desert. In front of it is a cholla cactus.