Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #61
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,651
I passed in between two semi trucks that were "drag racing" and plugging up the freeway. It was easy-peasy until I got even with the cabs and found the turbulence was almost too strong to hang on. How I lived through my teens is one of lifes greatest mysteries.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #62
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
I passed in between two semi trucks that were "drag racing" and plugging up the freeway. It was easy-peasy until I got even with the cabs and found the turbulence was almost too strong to hang on. How I lived through my teens is one of lifes greatest mysteries.
That's what the shoulder is for!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #63
Hack'dTiger
n00b schn00b

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Man, and I thought I was the only one dumb enough to try that one?!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #64
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,530
Pull in around 1am, after a 1700km ride that was over everything except Interstate...reach into pocket for the garage door opener...and realize you've ridden the last 300km with your jacket pocket unzipped and the garage door remote, your housekeys, and the cute bartenders number is gone...
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #65
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Pull in around 1am, after a 1700km ride that was over everything except Interstate...reach into pocket for the garage door opener...and realize you've ridden the last 300km with your jacket pocket unzipped and the garage door remote, your housekeys, and the cute bartenders number is gone...
Hopefully you gave him your number so you two can still hook up.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #66
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Hopefully you gave him your number so you two can still hook up.
Found out later he was a Harley rider...sigh, unfortunately his bikes unreliability prompted many more missed connections...
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #67
frasermanx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Pulling a reluctant bike with a car

I must have out of my tree. But I wanted to start that old Norton and wrapped a rope around the forks. Of course I fell and broke stuff .. luckily not my bones..

Just after that a cop car came around the corner.. probably called by the nosy neighbours

DO NOT EVER DO THAT AGAIN !!

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE ..
frasermanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #68
CharlesLathe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
In western Colorado in the 1970s, lots of cowboys did not care for motorcycle riders. Sometimes there were confrontations.

One day, I pulled into a gas station and there were a couple of pick-up trucks and some cowboys. My wife, Nina, was riding pillion and we got the stink eye and had to listen their banter. After filling up, I started the bike -- kick start, mounted up, flipped up the kick stand, and away we went. The bike seemed light. I looked over my shoulder and Nina was standing next to the gas pump.

When I pulled back up to the pump, the cowboys were in convulsions of laughter.
CharlesLathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #69
FLX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
a while ago i was changing the oil on the moto. when i was done draining it my girlfriend called me in for dinner so i just hand tightened the drainage bold. after dinner and a few glasses of wine i decided to finish the oil change since i needed to bike the next morning to go to an interview.
next morning i came out to the bike on top of a big puddle of oil. i had left the old oil in a open container next to the bike so could not reuse that.

well i took my bicycle and was 45 minutes late to the interview not sure if they believed me but i for sure know i did not got the job
FLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #70
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLX View Post
a while ago i was changing the oil on the moto. when i was done draining it my girlfriend called me in for dinner so i just hand tightened the drainage bold. after dinner and a few glasses of wine i decided to finish the oil change since i needed to bike the next morning to go to an interview.
next morning i came out to the bike on top of a big puddle of oil. i had left the old oil in a open container next to the bike so could not reuse that.

well i took my bicycle and was 45 minutes late to the interview not sure if they believed me but i for sure know i did not got the job
I forgot that one. I just did that like a month ago, rode on the freeway like 5 miles, at a light at an exit I happen to look down and it just lets loose

So I push it ro the side to look and see if I just threw a rod or something and a guy a lane over honks and points at the plug in the middle of the road, Right as an 18 wheeler drives over it.

I didn't even go to the interview.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #71
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,297
Bluhduh Bonus Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Come to a complete stop at a red light, go to put foot out. Discover too late that Shoelace is looped around shift lever. Fall over.
If you happen to be in High School, it's 9:00pm Saturday night, and you just pulled-up next to a car-load of cheerleaders.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #72
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

So I just spent like an hour sitting at Del Taco reading about all of the dumb crap you stupid morons do. You are all idiots and should be ashamed.

My Local Del Taco is really nice, it was *just* remodeled like two days ago, has free wifi, it's one of my favorite places to just go grab a bite and chill out.

So anyway, feeiling pretty smug about how much smarter I am than all you idiots, I put my computer away, put on my balaclava and jacket. Don my helmet....

BOOM! Crash tinckle tinkle tinkle as I get showered in glass from the brand new hanging light fixture that I just shattered with my head.

And then all the employees ask me if I'm alright No I'm not alright OBVIOUSLY!

I probably should sue them for scratching my helmet and scaring me with their dangerous new light though

Dang, I like Del Taco, too bad I can never go back there.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 06:23 PM
Old 10-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #73
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLX View Post
hand tightened the drainage bold
WTF is a drainage bold?
Must be a Harley thing.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #74
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
So I just spent like an hour sitting at Del Taco reading about all of the dumb crap you stupid morons do. You are all idiots and should be ashamed.

My Local Del Taco is really nice, it was *just* remodled like two days ago, has free wifi, it's one of my favorite places to just go grab a bite and chill out.

So anyway, feeiling pretty smug about how much smarter I am than all you idiots, I put my computer away, put on my balaclava and jacket. Don my helmet....

BOOM! Crash tinckle tinkle tinkle as I get showered in glass from the brand new hanging light fixture that I just shattered with my head.

And then all the employees ask me if I'm al right No I'm not alright OBVIOUSLY!

I probably should sue them for scratching my helmet and scaring me with their dangerous new light though

Dang, I like Del Taco, too bad I can never go back there.
That's funny.

I mean, the helmet thing is a nifty little story and all, but someone liking Del Taco, and willingly hanging out there, that's funny.

MV
Old 10-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #75
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
That's funny.

I mean, the helmet thing is a nifty little story and all, but someone liking Del Taco, and willingly hanging out there, that's funny.

MV
lol, C'mon man their Chicken soft tacos are really good! Fries too. Free wifi. The only real downside is flying glass and dumb bikers.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale