Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #76
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
There's no reason not to encourage your loved ones to ride.

Suprising how concerned you dirt guys are about the street.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #77
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
I just wanted to add that I have a little PW50 dirt bike with training wheels sitting in my garage that my almost 6 year old has only ridden a few times. She's nervous about the steering and the throttle control. As much as I would love her to have the same passion as I do I'm not going to push her to it if she doesn't want to.

Like I already said, she loves to ride with me and I hope she continues to enjoy it. If she gets to the age or point that she wants to ride on the street then I'll make sure she gets appropriate gear and training to do so as safe as possible.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #78
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
I just wanted to add that I have a little PW50 dirt bike with training wheels sitting in my garage that my almost 6 year old has only ridden a few times. She's nervous about the steering and the throttle control. As much as I would love her to have the same passion as I do I'm not going to push her to it if she doesn't want to.

Like I already said, she loves to ride with me and I hope she continues to enjoy it. If she gets to the age or point that she wants to ride on the street then I'll make sure she gets appropriate gear and training to do so as safe as possible.
I started my 3 sons on quads. 2 were a little sketchy at 3 and the middle one was better at 2 1/2 than the other two were at 4. She'll get used to it. My youngest who's almost 7 still rides with me. He used to cry when we would stop. He started with me at 1 1/2.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #79
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
I just turned 30, so I guess I'm old now right? No worries here, we are arguing the same thing. I don't plan on having kids so guess my opinion is moot anyway. Carry on and have a good day, glad we can not devolve like trolls.
I love this site lately. yes, we are old.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #80
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
I've got two boys ages 9 and 4 and they both beg to ride on the back of the bandit. The 4 year old can't touch the pegs, so he only goes around the block in first gear. The 9 year old thinks he's the coolest kid in school when we roll up on the Bandit. I've taken him on some 50 mile rides close to home but I'm hyper vigilant and take it real easy with him on board. I dread the thoughts of them even driving cars/trucks when they get 16. But, I have this recurring dream of me and the boys taking dual sports on a TAT ride. I would have LOVED if my dad would have ridden when I was a kid. So for the boys, I think dirt bikes until driving age and then dual sports if they are still interested. Maybe a Ninja 250 or similar for a graduation present. After that, if they want a street bike, they pay for it and make their own choices.

To be honest, I have had the thought that I'm leading them into a dangerous hobby. Of course, I've also been eyeing powered paragliders lately and would love to try it. In the end, I don't want to deny my kids something that I enjoy just because it is dangerous.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #81
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post

Surprising how concerned you dirt guys are about the street.
+1

IMO Riding adds to ones quality of life. Get them each something that handles well and is polite and user friendly while still being engaging like a Triumph Street Triple (or similar) and let them LIVE!

A life well spent comes when one adds life to their days... Not days to their life.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #82
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 799
Let them ride. I cringe knowing my daughter rides 2 up with her husband, but realize she knows the risks. All we can do is hope they become better riders than we are.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #83
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,823
Ride! The only times that I've ever hurt myself and/or done any appreciable damage to my bike have been off-road.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #84
FlyingWWW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Both my boys grew up riding dirt. They both started riding street at 15, with me. Yes it scares me. But at some point they are going to do it anyway. They are 16 & 17 now and very good riders.
FlyingWWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #85
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Interesting and from my perspective, it's often true. Maybe has something to do with the fact that in the dirt you are regularly taste the pain of bad decisions. Maybe that's part of the reason that dirt riders are "significantly underrepresented in the crash data" (Hurt study as someone pointed out) They are like Pavlov's Dog, constantly watching for being "shocked".
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #86
mrchips0401
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Does anyone who rides street have any concerns about influencing your kids in that direction? I ride both dirt and street. And, my kids have grown up riding dirt. I go back and forth on this issue.
Not an expert, but I'll give my two cents worth. I have a ton more experience on dirt than on the street (started in the dirt as a young guy) - I personally think teaching/experiencing the dirt first for at least a few years - then they can consider the street. I always tell my kid, I use the street basically to get me to the good dirt riding. But safety lessons all the time should work.
mrchips0401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #87
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Ride! The only times that I've ever hurt myself and/or done any appreciable damage to my bike have been off-road.
We still see the Accident reports that are posted on the Army Safety site of Soldiers dying while riding in the dirt. Had one die last month.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #88
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,958
Quote:

There is reason to be concerned. Street riding is about avoiding being hit or hitting things. Dirt riding is about navigating terrain and staying upright while doing it. We all remember when we turned 16 and got our drivers licenses. We did foolish things. He had fender benders. A fender bender on a motorcycle can kill you.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #89
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I grew up riding and racing dirt bikes and then street bikes when I was 15. My step kid , 22 years old and lives in downtown San Francisco, wants to learn to ride a street bike and wants to learn in San Francisco. As it is, he barely rides a bicycle. To throw him out into the traffic of SF , to me, would be suicide and completely irresponsible if I had anything to do with it, so I won't have anything to do with it, and my wife agrees. If he wants to come down here to learn , I'll help him.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #90
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
There is reason to be concerned. Street riding is about avoiding being hit or hitting things. Dirt riding is about navigating terrain and staying upright while doing it. We all remember when we turned 16 and got our drivers licenses. We did foolish things. He had fender benders. A fender bender on a motorcycle can kill you.
There's reason to be concerned about going out of the door at all. But street riding is not that scarry. Only the needed skills differ slightly from the dirt riding skills. Navigating traffic instead of terrain for example.