Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #136
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 122
Yessirree, 1981 H models were all white.

I owned a 1981 IT-175H, and it was good.
I felt the 1982 IT-175J I owned after that was even better with more power everywhere (especially the low-end) and better suspension and ergonomics.
I wish I owned one, today, actually.

I also had a 1982 IT-465J that was quite fun to ride due to it's very strong torque and general easy-going nature to it due to it's easy-to-use power characteristics.
It even started easily.

I also had a 1983 IT-250K that basically felt like a YZ with a bigger fuel tank and lights and blue plastic.
It was pretty fast.
Not a torque monster (although there was enough down low), but good mid range and top end.

YZEtc screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 03:19 PM
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #137
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,423
I have recently been thinking that Yamaha's excellent photography in their advertisments must be responsible for my bike lust in those days.

The colors especially were very vivid

Even with all of the technical improvements over the years, new ads don't have the same pop as those shots from the 80's
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #138
Earthmovin490s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
DC plastics

Hey guys,, I've got some questions and concerns on DC plastics. I reading that they don't come pre-drilled, but to be honest that's am easy job and the least of my concerns. I'm also seeing pics of the ITs and the edgings don't look like the fits and finish (edgings, cuts and fender molds in general) are poor at best. I also noticed the left side panel, over the silencer, is probably the worst mold I've ever seen. Is this all of the DC IT490's or just a very unfortunate few? I have all OEM Yamaha plastics now, but don't particularly want to ruin them at the prices they run. Thanks for your input in advance.

Earthmovin490s screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 08:32 PM
Earthmovin490s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #139
flinders_72
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZEtc View Post
Yessirree, 1981 H models were all white...
All blue in Aus from memory. I've never seen a white one but love it from the above pics. White seems to suit a lot of bikes.

I reckon the headlight in those pics is different (smaller) to what we had here as well but stand to be corrected.
flinders_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #140
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 122
White (in the USA) lasted for just the 1981 model year.
In 1982, it was back to blue.

From pics and brochures I've seen from other countries, the USA lighting was smaller since it was off-road equipment.
Other countries got bigger headlamps because they were either street-legal straight off the showroom floor, or easily made so.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #141
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
Try Speed and Sport for OEM plastic. 'Taint cheap but it fits. Avoid Maier plastic,thin and brittle.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #142
flinders_72
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZEtc View Post
White (in the USA) lasted for just the 1981 model year.
In 1982, it was back to blue.

From pics and brochures I've seen from other countries, the USA lighting was smaller since it was off-road equipment.
Other countries got bigger headlamps because they were either street-legal straight off the showroom floor, or easily made so.
That makes sense - I used to ride my IT425G on the road to get from home to all the good riding spots. Even lost my licence for speeding on it! It didn't have the 425 sticker so I told the cop it was a 250 otherwise I'd have been in more trouble. Lucky for me he'd never seen one before cos they were pretty rare and he just got me for speeding.
flinders_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #143
JR Greenhorn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmovin490s View Post
Hey guys,, I've got some questions and concerns on DC plastics. I reading that they don't come pre-drilled, but to be honest that's am easy job and the least of my concerns. I'm also seeing pics of the ITs and the edgings don't look like the fits and finish (edgings, cuts and fender molds in general) are poor at best. I also noticed the left side panel, over the silencer, is probably the worst mold I've ever seen. Is this all of the DC IT490's or just a very unfortunate few? I have all OEM Yamaha plastics now, but don't particularly want to ruin them at the prices they run. Thanks for your input in advance.
OEM plastic is usually injection molded, while most aftermarket plastic (DC, Maier, etc.) is vacuum-formed. There are limitations on how tight of radii and contours that can be formed with the vacuum-forming process. Aftermarket plastic companies couldn't sell enough of any one P/N to pay off injection molding tooling (especially for older/classic bikes), but they can do it with vacuum forming tooling.

Bottom line, if you want 100% stock, you're going to have to track down NOS or good used parts an pay for it. DC and Maier offer a stand-in that's easily available at a reasonable price.
JR Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #144
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Had a Maico my self back in the 70's what a rocket ship, 700cc where imported to the UK in about 2008.
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #145
Earthmovin490s
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORT666 View Post
Had a Maico my self back in the 70's what a rocket ship, 700cc where imported to the UK in about 2008.
Maicos are definitely great bikes. I absolutely love my '81 490. I know its an IT site, but ya gotta give credit where credit is due. I love my '83 IT490 but having the '81 Maico gives me the best of both classic 80s offroad world.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #146
FJ_Kevin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmovin490s View Post

I like the DC plastic side panels, especially for a race bike. You can get them to fit better by adding a bracket and/or by reshaping a bit with a heat gun. They have stood up well on my bike and I would buy them again. Also, I was careful to add rubber backing where need to keep the pipe from burning through the plastic. I can also say that the yellow back grounds I got from DC have held their grip and have not peeled off.

The rear DC plastics fender is acceptable to me. Front fender is still availble new from Yamaha and cheap in US. DC customer service is excellent.

Here is a photo link showing my IT490 using DC side panels and clark plastic tank (also very good).
http://kgfphotos.smugmug.com/Motorcy...8571&k=FnqM5dT

Good luck!
Kevin

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #147
Earthmovin490s
Adventurer

Question

Thanks Kevin. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy a set of DC plastics for my 490. I will definitely take your tips on shaping the molds and preparations for exhaust heat. Ive been wrestling with spending the money on DC plastics, but either way I look at it, its still cheaper than OEM! Only question I have is, is it truly IT blue of just close?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #148
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
I am looking to get some wide pegs.
Anyone know which ones will work on my IT465.
Mr. Carts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #149
Earthmovin490s
Adventurer

Question PWK for my '83 490

No better place than here for this question... I'm looking to replace my carb with a PWK. My question is in the size. I see most have a 38mm, yet some have 39 & 40mm. Personally, I think the 39s & 40s would be too large. Any body have or purchase a PWK for their IT490 or know from experience which is best suited? I only have a DG pipe and silencer with a stock bore. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help here on my favorite site.
P.S.: anybody know of any online links or magazine months for an '83 or '84 IT490 test articles
Old 11-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #150
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Take a look here:

http://www.yamahait.com.au/forum/ind...oard,13.0.html
Mr. Carts is online now   Reply With Quote