Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #46
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
I can't count the number of times that wheelies have kept me from certain death
the way the current law is written even vaulting your front wheel over road debris is considered a wheelie and punishable. Remember that dirt roads are also considered highway. having grown up riding off road I can't imagine not being able to do a wheelie in order to save my own ass.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #47
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
you mean reaching back and putting your hand over your plate? we try not to promote that here.

Try doing that on a Wee-Strom, unless you have orangutan arms, impossible.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #48
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
In Montana it's: "Hows $40 sound?"
If only it wasn't Mountana
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #49
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Says the guy from America's taint...
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #50
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUBRIT View Post
Wonder if Quebec or anywhere in Canada have issues with packs of Idiots like in NY and St Louis? With this kind of deterrent I doubt it I think our Brothers in the North may be on to something.
I think it is exactly this sort of deterrent that will result in packs of idiots that the police can't stop or catch. There are perfectly good laws on the books to deal with this, like reckless driving and dangerous driving, but because they don't have big cash grabs attached to them and don't presume guilt the tax collectors aka police just cream their panties if some one goes 50 over. Meanwhile they lower speed limits despite better engineered roads and vehicles. Just a cash grab that will result in more speeding idiots making a run for it only to be chased to death by the police.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #51
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I don't consider it a privilege as long as I pay taxes , that's just what the government wants you to believe. The government is supposed to be FOR the people , NOT the people's existance being to support the government. They could always fine your ass off and make that money without destroying your life because the powers that be took your license.
I pay taxes too. I'm 30 years old, never a ticket, never an accident, never been pulled over. How are they going to fine my ass off and take my license if I OBEY THE LAW?

oh right, the lawbreakers aren't the problem, it's the law/police/courts that's the problem. Give me a break.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #52
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:

Must have never been to Montana
Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #53
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Must have never been to Montana

Sure I have.

Its kinda far away, and I'm pretty sure that there are more cows than people there. Not good for a computer engineer, makes work a tad difficult.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #54
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Sure I have.

Its kinda far away, and I'm pretty sure that there are more cows than people there. Not good for a computer engineer, makes work a tad difficult.
Someday they will get computers there though.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #55
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Someday they will get computers there though.

I'll wait with baited breath.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #56
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
In Texas statutes for the driver license (521.001 6b) the definition for the term "License" for the chapter includes:
"the privilege of a person to operate a motor vehicle regardless of whether that person holds a driver license."

Essentially stating that the statutes acknowledge that non-commercial operation of a motor vehicle is considered okay, by definition, without a driver's license.

So, there is no actual law down here requiring drivers to have a license for non-commercial motor vehicle operation. Though the common belief is otherwise, and you won't get a straight answer from either the administrative or legislative branches. I've tried to get this clarified and been sent chasing my tail as they each sent me to the other for the answer. I eventually tried the judicial branch, but found the court had no jurisdiction in the matter and wouldn't hear the case. (I had cancelled and surrendered the state-issued license, then waited until I was ticketed for it and took it to court. The case was dismissed. I then re-applied for a license and carry one, going along to get along.)

This grand folly of research over several years led me to the conclusion that the federal constitution prohibits states from enacting laws that would impair the liberty of a citizen. So, it may be that there is no requirement for a license for "ordinary" use of the roads. I've seen reference to commercial use described as "extraordinary use" of the road, which the state can regulate, license, etc.

This may also explain, from a legal perspective, why insurance companies write motorcycle policies for owners who don't have motorcycle endorsements.
Texas TRANSPORTATION CODE

Section 521.021 LICENSE REQUIRED

A person, other than a person expressly exempted under this chapter, may not operate a motor vehicle on a highway in this state unless the person holds a driver's license issued under this chapter.

Section 521.025 LICENSE TO BE CARRIED AND EXHIBITED ON DEMAND

RTLover screwed with this post 10-17-2013 at 03:00 AM
RTLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #57
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
The government is supposed to be FOR the people , NOT the people's existance being to support the government. They could always fine your ass off and make that money without destroying your life because the powers that be took your license.

Well if losing your license would ´destroy your life´ (..and I doubt this a little, it´s not like you´ve lost your right to breathe, and usually you´ll get it back after a while), then for godssakes do not ride or drive in a way, that will give “them” any reason to take that license away.

Problem solved.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #58
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,908
You there! Get in line!

Adolf would be so proud.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #59
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Texas TRANSPORTATION CODE

Section 521.021 LICENSE REQUIRED

A person, other than a person expressly exempted under this chapter, may not operate a motor vehicle on a highway in this state unless the person holds a driver's license issued under this chapter.

Section 521.025 LICENSE TO BE CARRIED AND EXHIBITED ON DEMAND
Yes, and the definition for "LICENSE," the thing "REQUIRED," is defined for the chapter in 521.001 DEFINITIONS 6.

So for the thing you have posted we already have established that the thing required, "License," in the title of this includes the privilege of a person to operate a motor vehicle regardless of whether that person holds a driver license.

This definition doesn't change willy nilly, it remains constant for the entire 521 section. This is why they include the phrase "other than a person expressly exempted" as in the definition of LICENSE for this chapter EVERYONE is clearly a person expressly exempted.

Another fine use of Weasel Words cunningly crafted in a statute to make you think one thing is the case while leaving the interpretation open to meet constitutional tests.

Elsewhere you will find a sub chapter defining who is exempt, which in no way changes the fact that everyone is exempted by the definition at the beginning of the chapter. This fact having been already established for the chapter in the DEFINITIONS does not need to be repeated in the sub chapter.

If you do hold a Driver License you are required to present it. This in no way infers that it is mandatory.

There are no punishment clauses for "driving without a license" anywhere in the chapter. There is a reason for this. License to operate a motor vehicle is something that may include a Driver License, but doesn't have to. License is the thing required, not Driver License.

Further reading will reveal that there are punishment clauses for driving with an expired, suspended, etc. Driver License, but not a peep in the entire chapter for someone who simply does not have one.("Driver License" has its own definition as a separate thing from License, yet is included in the definition of License. "License" is not included in the definition of Driver License)

Getting through the Weasel Words is a logical process that takes in the references to License and Driver License as they are used throughout the chapter.

These are not oversights. The statutes are carefully crafted, unique terms are clearly defined, and the requirements of constitutional tests are met. Then, after review, the statute is published.

If a Driver License were required there would be a punishment clause for operating a vehicle without it.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #60
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
(I had cancelled and surrendered the state-issued license, then waited until I was ticketed for it and took it to court. The case was dismissed. I then re-applied for a license and carry one, going along to get along.)
Wait...did you really turn your DL in just to (try) prove a point?!