User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #46
kumakahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Gaerne

I own Sidi Discos, Gaerne leather boots, BMW Contours, Alpinestars Scouts, etc. My favorite for daily riding to and from work, and for long distance road touring, is my pair of now discontinued, mid-length Gaernes. Second best are the Discos. They are amazingly comfortable, but a little too high for popping off to work, and I do not believe Goretex has any business in any form of footwear. It simply does not "breathe" in a boot. Good leather well treated works just fine without the plastic bag feeling. When they start using Event membranes in boots, I would be interested in that. Event breathes much, much better while still being waterproof. I also like boots I can resole because I have a short inseam but refuse to ride cruisers. So boring and cliche for a 53 year old guy like me. So, I have a cobbler add a midsole to my boots to give me just a little more leg length. It costs about $80. I also buy a size 47 instead of the 46 that is my real size, and I add insoles for a little more length. But, those options are a lot cheaper than a tip over, and I ride whenever it's not icy all year long. So, I need good ground grip in bad weather. No need to compromise on choice of bikes. It just takes a little creativity.
kumakahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #47
Imachimper
Newer than Noob

Oddometer: 128

What could go wrong.
Imachimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #48
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 334
Sidi crossfires and alpinestar scouts.
'09 KTM 530 EXC, '12 KTM 350 EXC
'82 Honda CT 110
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #49
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
I was just looking at those after breaking my foot this weekend wearing a pair of Gaerne G Midlands which will now be used for road or easy camping trips.

Crossfires were my first option till I saw these. Still undecided and it will be at least 6 weeks before I'm back on the SE so I have time I guess.
What kind of terrain were you riding in when you were wearing the Midlands? If you could give us a brief synopsis on how your foot was broken.

I'm planning on getting the Crossfires for the bomb proof protection. I just got a 990 and will be riding in the rocks in Colorado. I can't afford to fuck up a career due to not wearing the appropriate footwear. I'm glad to see Crossfire users posting here.
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #50
GJ990
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
I was just looking at those after breaking my foot this weekend wearing a pair of Gaerne G Midlands which will now be used for road or easy camping trips.

Crossfires were my first option till I saw these. Still undecided and it will be at least 6 weeks before I'm back on the SE so I have time I guess.
I had a get-off in the sand the other day in which my right foot ended up under the bike and had it not been for these my ankle would have been broken, of that I'm sure. The boot is so strong that it "forced" my ankle not to turn and break as the bike slid and my foot dug in. You could see the rut in the sand where the toe dragged and although it was little drama, I could feel the force on my foot and ankle and afterwards vowed never to ride with anything less than full on MX boots. I was in the middle of the Ocala forest, no cell reception. I still get a little nervous thinking of what could have been.

I still use these to commute to work and the store, but they feel very inadequate:

I sometimes look at my fellow Floridians riding sport bikes in flip flops and I can just shake my head.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #51
marcwestbmw
Walkin' Mans Friend

Oddometer: 491
I used to love my SIDI Disco's until I ended up with my leg under the bike. The passenger peg mount did a number on me. I now wear SIDI Crossfire SRS's. I can wear these all day and never think about my feet.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #52
whereisgibson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
+1 Crossfires. Very good, can be used off the bike surprisingly easily and get you 'leg day' for free :) 5 Years and 90000 miles later, three metal toe caps were all that needed changing.

I tried the Adventures - the only way the crosffires could improve ("waterproof") - but they were narrower than my fat feet were used to. Also not built quite so tough.
whereisgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #53
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,788
Its nice to be able to walk in boots,unfortunately if you crash and your 500+lb bike lands on your foot wearing softish comfy boots, walking may be impossible,its what Ive figured out after some years on bikes.

They say,dress for the crash not the ride. Ive got a pair of Gaerne SG12's and they are breaking in to the point where I dont notice walking in them so much,as for protection they are as close to ski boots as are made.

Adventure boots tend to be comfy and maybe half as protective as MX style boots,if your bashing offroad at all I would think about real boots.
Feet are gawdawful expensive to fix as are ankles.

Or just wear hiking boots and try to pretend like nothing will happen.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #54
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Oops, wrong boot. I wear the Sidi Chargers:

I originally looked at the Crossfires but these are much lighter for long days. Doesn't look like they make 'em anymore

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #55
trinitydirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Alpinstars SMX boots for the everyday stuff and Alpinstar Vectors for the single track work
trinitydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #56
Dan950ser
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 410
I always wear my gaerne SG10's. They have broken in to the point that they feel comfortable all day and offer the protection I want when riding either bike.

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #57
RiikMi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Scott 250
RiikMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #58
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,022
SIDI Crossfires for me. They came with the smooth sole and I got replacement lugged soles. Preferred the smooth ones. The lugged ones started coming off last ride I did. I must have caught something during a slide. Re-attached them but if they pop off again I will have to rethink something.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #59
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
I've got a thing for Sidi's myself... (got them from europe)

Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex (euro version is leather which I like better than lorica): Have about 20K miles on these - Super comfy and pretty rugged, have had a few low speed crashes on and off road with no issues, other than the on-road was bad enough to sand down the buckles on the left boot. Water-proof for sure with water crossings to prove it.

Sidi Crossfire 2 SRS: Got them recently for more focused offroad stuff and mostly because I think they look cool. They're pretty bad-a and comfortable, etc what can I say. Taller and not as comfy for me as the Adventures but clearly more rugged, and the enduro soles are cool.

Sidi Vortice: Kinda narrow but great for sport/track. Least comfortable of the bunch but I guess that's expected in a track boot - these have awesome ventilation.

And with all of these options I usually just end up wearing some non-moto specific boots around town because I can't get my pant legs over the sidis and don't want to look like a dork..hmm
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #60
vice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I currently have the Gaerne Balance Pro-Tech Boots. Love them. Super comfortable.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-Ba...oots_p_80.html
vice is offline   Reply With Quote