Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #301
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Looks like a ride north needs to happen early Nov to d̶e̶f̶i̶l̶e̶ I mean have a land(?)-warming party

This man speaks the truth.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #302
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,914
I'm excited to see the NewFoundland ride report.
That is an area I would like to explore in the future.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/

GAS GUY screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 09:32 AM
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #303
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,632
Wow Jim that property looks SWEET! I can throught there last summer and that part of the country is just beautiful. The smell of the pines and great roads. Now I will have to get back out that way to visit
Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #304
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,393
I stumbled on to this report a few days ago as it was linked to another report I was following. Heck, my old brain done forgot which one by now. Amazing report and terrain you guys went though with the KLR's. Been though a lot of that country over the years on different bikes but could not get too crazy being a solo rider.
Thanks for the time and work to share this fabulous journey with us.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #305
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,427
Jim, if you come through Wisconsin, I'm close to I-90, would love to talk to you again!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #306
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,661
Talking Ccme on up, out, down or over....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Looks like a ride north needs to happen early Nov to d̶e̶f̶i̶l̶e̶ I mean have a land(?)-warming party

Hahaha I hear ya ol' buddy... come on ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
This man speaks the truth.
Come on up ya filthy Nomad! Be good ta see ya AL!
Hows Oreeeeegone?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
I'm excited to see the NewFoundland ride report.
That is an area I would like to explore in the future.
Yes yes!!! Your gonna like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Wow Jim that property looks SWEET! I can through there last summer and that part of the country is just beautiful. The smell of the pines and great roads. Now I will have to get back out that way to visit
Exactly... all of the above and more!^)- Come on by brother... the place will be a sanctuary for all who want to get outta the squirrel cage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
I stumbled on to this report a few days ago as it was linked to another report I was following. Heck, my old brain done forgot which one by now. Amazing report and terrain you guys went though with the KLR's. Been though a lot of that country over the years on different bikes but could not get too crazy being a solo rider.
Thanks for the time and work to share this fabulous journey with us.
Thanx for checking it out dude!!!! And your welcome, much enjoyed sharing all the beauty with ya all:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym View Post
Jim, if you come through Wisconsin, I'm close to I-90, would love to talk to you again!
Hey brother... may stay south on I-80 till Wyoming Utah??? (Much prefer Northern route, but logistics along the way may dictate a southernish route)
Soooo prop miss ya until near Christmas when I plan another trip across.

Peace to all you FFF's

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 02:57 AM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #307
BigDogRaven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
I wake up refreshed but... early!
To THE LOUD SOUNDS OF BIKES... LOTSA BIKES! Seems the Redwoods Rally just let out and maaan I guess these fuckers don't party hard on the last night, because they are up WAAAAY too damn early!
I can't ignore hundereds of big twins, of course mostly Harleys roaring by at day break (you'da thought they knew I was sleeping under the trees and purposely hammered by the dumb ass dirty bike rider trying to sleep, geeeesh! ) this went on for a couple hours, sooo I get up... pack up my bag and roll into the Peg House for some good food.. and service from the puuurrty giirls!

I'll use a couple pics from last year here...

Yup NorCal is puuurrty Pot friendy.. and I'm ok with that!^)-

And the electric shirt...

After.. you guessed it... some goood conversation, I do as when in Rome, and partake of the kind..... then calmly roll North toward Garberville and my cutoff Alderville rd up over the hills onto Zenia Bluff rd and then Zenia Ruth rd to Ruth Lake and the Journey's End Bar, General Store and Restuarant. After that more back roads like Hwy 36 (one of the top 10 bike roads in the country! ) and then Platina road into Redding (another dooosy) where I'll stop in to see Rick at Mayers Cycle to get my seat tweaked a bit.
Gotta tell you... YOU NEED TO DO THIS RIDE! From basically the Bay up 1 to Garberville then over these roads to Redding.... heck there are a TON of fun roads back in here man !!!!
I plug in my earbuds twist up the tunes and roll through the big trees...

With my head full of smoke I'm not railing hard yet... just taking in the scene... and scenery.

Cross the Eel River near the roads namesake Alderpoint, then back up into the hills...

Now is where you pic up Zenia Bluff rd and it's part dirt, part asphalt... PERFECT for an Enduro bike... I love it!
I see some Condors... over a dozen ( ok this is a bit North of their range but I didn't notice the Red heads of the North American Turkey Vulture sooo to be more romantic let s just call these young Condors) The largest bird in North America weighting up to 26lbs and living 80yrs!
They seemed to call to me as I ride under them at about the peak of the Bluff...

So I just layed down in the middle of the road and watched them swirling above me................................. for like 20 minutes.

A perfect day to just lay here.....

Then they started to land above me in this tree...

After soaking that all in and feeling pretty connected I roll on again...

Forgot to mention the moon was out too...

After more twist fest... I'm coming out of the smoky haze now sooo I've been wicking it up more and more, I come to the Journey's End. Aaah can't wait to see who's here this year, after last years family like welcome and subsequent smoke out!

I get some coffee and O.J. plus a bite to eat... the barkeep is new to me, soo I just fill her in a short bit of my stop in last year, Trish's(the owner) daughter is running around cooking etc.. that's a treat for my eyes.

Remembering the mirror carvings... but with new attitude.

After everythings all full I roll on...
I had lubed the chain when I pulled in and it was still hot.... now I do a tire check and and get a pic of the tire, juuust sooo you'll know the twistiness of these roads! I spose I had wicked it up a bit earlier than I told ya. LOL Now were getting the flat slab center wear from the Desert off these tires.

I actually pull over for this shot... and while I do I hear a bike coming up the valley somewhere below me? Maan it sounds goood. kinda Ducati ish! And they dooo sound good ya gotta agree.

After the pic, a piss and getting back on the bike the guy rolls by... I quick slap her in gear and decide to see what he or she is made of...

He passes this car and it's on.... he can ride and I'm having a BLAST! He tucks it in hard in every turn like it's a track day and I start to go flat track style with my inside leg hanging waaay inside to keep up with a much faster bike. Some of the turns are 25 and 35mph we're taking them at 70mph... at least I am! He can pull me a bit on the straights but in the turns I actually close it up on him riding a fucking KLR with knobbies Laugh Out Loud! The ass slides out twice in this 20 or so turn little contest since it has no choice when you push it this hard, I just keep in it lifting enough to get her all hooked up again. After about 3 miles of this he pulls over and waves me on.... can't blame him since it's NO fun to have someone riding your ass... hahahahahaha!

Now I have clear road ahead and put distance between us.... Sorry for the glove fingers all over the pic i was pumped.

Any way back down in the valley it flattens out and I see a General Store with gas and stuff, soo I pull in all pumped up on ADRENALINE!
He pulls in followed by about 5 other guys all on sport bikes, he's on a naked Ducati, he can't believe what he just saw and on the bike I'm riding! He says at first he thought it was a guy on a BMW or something as he passed me pulled over, do to the side boxes and stuff, but as soon as I pulled up on his rear tire he said he knew that wasn't the case. His buddy walked over and said "Maaan are you crazy?" "I saw your ass end sliding out and thought you were going down!" I told him that's how it is on knobbies sometimes and you just ride it out... they both shook there heads, we talked some more with a few crazy stories thrown in for good measure, then I walked into the store.

I didn't take the group pic because I didn't want to seem like I was saying "yup just blew past these guys.. here's their pic" But on second thought I shoulda taken one....

It's the Famous "Wildwood Cafe" just down the road from Wildwood...

Jim, Diggin this report bro.
This is my stopping grounds.
Had to tell you, sadly, the Wildwood Cafe has BURNED TO THE GROUND.
I have pics, cant really find them now, but happed very soon after you were there.
Peace
Jeff

BigDogRaven screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 03:11 PM
BigDogRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #308
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog04 View Post
This is ll my stopping grounds.
I have pics, cnt really find them now, but happed very soon after you were there.
Peace
Jeff

It was so saddened by his departure that it spontaneously combusted.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #309
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
It was so saddened by his departure that it spontaneously combusted.
Every fuckin time...
Old 12-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #310
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog04 View Post
This is my stopping grounds.
I have pics, cant really find them now, but happed very soon after you were there.
Peace
Jeff
Hey Jeff,
Aaah Maaaaan! Daaaaamn... really sorry to hear about this. I truly enjoyed their love of the Motorcycle Life and hope like heck they were insured and got a decent break from the Insurance company!!!

It was a landmark stop for sooo many. If we're lucky they'll rebuild it

Thanx for checking out the RR, I'm back from the PNW and plan to start posting the final leg of the journey today! It's been long overdue....

As for you others it may have been the smoldering D606 rubber that started it...

Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #311
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb Labrador aaaand Newfoundland...WoooHooo!!!

Ok sooo where are we?!?!??? Yup yup back in PA for a wonderful visit with Sherri and a short break in the action.
I get to doing some maintenance on Des' such as new wheel bearings and fresh tubes and tires... then a compression check shows that the 9-12,000mi old big bore with cams and other mods has cylinder leakage somewhere around 28%.
I had felt a drop off of power even though she'd still wheelie at will and pulled hard, yet for this ride which would put me a few miles off the beaten path at times on the Trans-Lab, I decided to swap in the old 705 which I had ridden out to Moab with back in May of this ride. It had the stock higher geared tranny in it (which would be nice in the long open spaces) and had about 17,000 miles on it total, it only leaked about 7-8%. I had re rung it about 4,500mi ago and felt it would be the best choice for this ride.

So this finds me in this familiar position again... Sorry phone pics.

Old new kickstart 705cc coming out...

New old 705cc back in...

After all is done I prepare for re-launch. I have been in touch with Esther (NomadGal) and she's coming this way on trip to the Northeast heading to Key West, she's up north of me and we learn that there is a KLRWorld gathering of sorts going on in the Northwestern part of PA. She will attend that ride/campout and I will meet her as well as some fellow Forum members on there way there... I talk to Terry (Gunny) and we all arranged to meet up, just under the PA/ New York line, near Mansfield I believe. Cool Beans a chance to put faces to names, see Esther again, and my 5yr plan to ride Newfie comes to pass.
~ A disclaimer to any who might take offence at the usage of Newfie... it's a shortened namesake with all good intention and NO negative meanings implied or intended! I will use it as it was spoke to me by the KIND folks of the Beautiful Island of Newfoundland, always with love and a smile. So please don't be offended by it, I mean no disrespect.~

Another send off by my Angelical wife Sherri Lynn... the look in her eyes haunts me now everytime I try to leave her side.

I can only wonder what was going through her mind?!?!?!?!!??

We can never truly know what another person's perception of us, an event, or reality itself... really is!!!??? It takes a deep connection to ourselves and our world/ worlds to even glimpse a bit of that truth... even then it occurs to us... that we really haven't a clue.

As I wean my gaze from the world in her eyes, I take to the road as a bird takes to the air... and am instantly gone from her reality.

The images of other worlds start to fill my lense...

These are the rolling farm lands of this region and they are... beautiful.

Nothing especially special here, but this is sometimes how I ride about... looking onto people and places, intrigued by how they exist. In this case noticing the stone in the structure and wondering of the quarry's location. If the stone looks more rounded I look for river bottom lands, sand and/ or glacial movement. Also the structural and chimney damage... how did it occur, cause, if repairs are scheduled and perhaps when . Of course only a fraction of this information is registering in my conscious mind at the moment of the picture, it's more of an interest or awareness and an opening up to possibilities. A way to feel where I am in space and time compared to other objects in this space and time. I suspect we all find ourselves doing this at some level.

Shortly Des' and I find ourselves near the Mansfield Walmart and await the rest of the group... Shortly they arrive and I get to see Pete-(Pwest) again as well as Esther and Gunny, then meet new to me Glenn-(Oldstove) and Lynn all on KLR's.

For some reason they wouldn't park within' a mile of Des' and I

We mosey across the street to Grandma's Diner to fuel the bodies and enjoy sharing some great stories...
At this point they let me park with the gang... I enjoy seeing 40% of the bikes sporting Britannia Fairings!

Gunny straight across, Pete on his right, Glenn on his right, Lynnn with her back to us and Esther filling out the circle.

I think Esther did most of the story telling:)

Sure looks like she's got the guy's attention at this point...

Soon it's time to suit up and let everyone go their own ways, The gang heading Southwest to camp in the Allegheny National forest... me heading to the Northeast to crash with friends in the Daks. Gunny gives Esther and I a couple of his new sticker creations... I love them. "The only Destination... is Self Discovery".

A video of the exodus...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 08:53 AM
Old 12-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #312
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

A shit brown KLR.... interesting.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #313
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
A shit brown KLR.... interesting.
Good observation,it is brown eh!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #314
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,914
Sweet,I've been waiting for this part of the ride report !!!
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #315
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
No offense taken because Newfie is being used as a term of respect.
Those of us that have read your report thus far know it is not your way to show anything but good vibes.