Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #38671
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
A couple reasons.

1) Noise. Even fully opened like my pipe is, it sounds completely stock. Even the quietest aftermarket pipe is much louder.

2) Maintenance. The WR250R requires less maintenance than any other bike I've ever owned. Aftermarket pipes need to be repacked. The stock pipe doesn't. I know it is a small issue in the grand scheme of things, but the stock pipe is one less thing to have to maintain vs. and aftermarket.
Makes sense, I hear ya.
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #38672
bluzharp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by livetofly View Post
I left the key on on my 08 WRX, and went back after a couple days and the bike was dead. Nothing on the lcd screen coming on or anything. Tried to push start, which took a lot of tries, then would finally get it started but was running real rough. Did that a few times and bike would stumble and die after 20 seconds or so, tried cracking throttle to run for 2 minutes at a high idle, but would still stumble and die.

In the process of push starting, I dropped the bike twice onto its side from a standstill. Also, the check engine light was flickering the first time it fired up, and was constantly on the next couple times I had it running briefly. Any ideas what could be going on? Never any problems before this.

I have access to a car battery charger with 2,10, and 50 amp settings. Can I plug that up to it?

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
You may breathe some life back into that battery, but since you ran it completely flat, it is pretty much on its last legs. Plan on budgeting for a new one soon.
bluzharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #38673
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 348
After 4 hours of hacking and slashing, a filleted pinky finger, a metal sliver, two broken 1/2" drill bits, sprained wrist and hours of wishing I had a drill press to make this easier, I got the EXUP butterfly valve out of the stocker (Remind me never to do something this stupid again).

I'm planning on plugging up the bung with a carriage bolt, red RTV and a castle nut.

My final modification to the stock exhaust now that the cat and valve is removed also will be to open the exhaust tip a bit more. I'm not spending $100 on a Graves insert, but would like more breathability. Since I'm not a welder, I'm considering running a few drilled holes around the exhaust tip.

Any thoughts for or against?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #38674
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,880
Try here first...
http://rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm#muffler

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #38675
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Yep! Did that! I'm talking about opening the exhaust cap some, like a DIY Graves Hi-flo exhaust tip... that doesn't require welding. Lol. Any ideas?

malignity screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 11:01 AM
malignity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #38676
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
Yep! Did that! I'm talking about opening the exhaust cap some, like a DIY Graves Hi-flo exhaust tip... that doesn't require welding. Lol. Any ideas?
I think I have a very lightly used Graves Exhaust tip. Any interest in buying it?
Old 10-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #38677
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
rear rack with the wolfman side racks

On the purchase list is the wolfman side racks and was looking at a decent rear rack. I did see where the OEM rack works but may require a little more work for installing. I like the moose racing rear rack and Immix also has a nice one. Has anyone tried to use either of these with the Wolfman's. Thanks!
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #38678
livetofly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzharp View Post
You may breathe some life back into that battery, but since you ran it completely flat, it is pretty much on its last legs. Plan on budgeting for a new one soon.
Got a replacement battery for $65 at AutoZone and all is well again. Didn't realize you could drain the battery so much that a jump or push start wouldn't get it going again. Glad I figured this out in the driveway and not in the woods somewhere.

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
Pura Vida !
livetofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #38679
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
I put the AIS removal kit on my bike probably 4 years ago, I just noticed today that the rubber plug that goes into the air box where the old AIS hose used to connect is all dry rotted and cracked , what is a good common item to use as that plug ?
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #38680
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley View Post
I put the AIS removal kit on my bike probably 4 years ago, I just noticed today that the rubber plug that goes into the air box where the old AIS hose used to connect is all dry rotted and cracked , what is a good common item to use as that plug ?
I left a short bit of hose, plugged it with 1" of aluminum rod I had laying around and sealed it with a small stainless hose clamp.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #38681
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=chai...w=1280&bih=563
Old 10-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #38682
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,880
See plastic cap and clamps in several places on the page, including the picture at the top:

http://rickramsey.net/CRF250Lcccmods.htm

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #38683
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
readily available at a hardware store , thanks

anyone know if the plug on the vacuum port on the throttle body is susceptible to the same type of rot /cracking ? should I pull the tank and take a look ?
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #38684
malignity
The Hurt Locker

So I screwed up.

I came across a snag that may potentially kill my dual sport ride this weekend with a friend of mine on with him his 08 WR250R (our first ride riding the WR's together)

I buggered up the steel wool gasket that goes between the header and exhaust. Its completely unusable. I got this bright idea to RTV the hell out of the thing and simply crank down on the clamp mechanism and pray for the best. Unfortunately it leaks air like mad and didn't work.

I'm in a bit of a bind. With the abscense of a gasket and with RTV being not enough, what can I use? Will exhaust tape work? :(

Any other better ideas?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #38685
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
So I screwed up.

I came across a snag that may potentially kill my dual sport ride this weekend with a friend of mine on with him his 08 WR250R (our first ride riding the WR's together)

I buggered up the steel wool gasket that goes between the header and exhaust. Its completely unusable. I got this bright idea to RTV the hell out of the thing and simply crank down on the clamp mechanism and pray for the best. Unfortunately it leaks air like mad and didn't work.

I'm in a bit of a bind. With the abscense of a gasket and with RTV being not enough, what can I use? Will exhaust tape work? :(

Any other better ideas?
Did you try this?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...atex_7020007-p

That's what I used on my FMF Pipe to Powerbomb, I don't remember no steel wool.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote