Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #91
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,455
Enjoying the RR. Hey under 2hrs to change a flat, that's not bad. Unpack, dismantle, put back then repack everything. I have to remind myself who's in a hurry, it's a vacation.

fuhgawee screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 06:39 PM
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #92
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,395
another great report, wish i knew you were riding this i would have tagged along and shared gas
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #93
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,839
Day 5 Stats & Tracks

Oops. I almost forgot the numbers and map for Day 5.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #94
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 6: To Kanab Point

I remembered the trail to Kanab Point being a two-track. Maybe this road becomes one later...

I was having fun on the graded roller coaster...

Until I looked down and realized I had passed the turnoff by 4 miles.
I made the mistake here of unfolding the large paper map in the high and gusty winds.
I was kneeling down in the road fighting with the map when a truck pulled up. The two guys in it appeared amused.
They worked in the uranium mines nearby. The mine explains the nice graded road out here.

That big sign had tricked me into thinking there would be signs to where I wanted to go,
but I guess Kanab Creek Overlook is not the same place as Kanab Point.

I backtrack and find the turnoff. No signs here.

There is a maze of these tracks out here. If I tried harder I could probably find the route to SB Point.
I wasn't in the mood for a bunch of hunt and peck riding so I tried to focus on just finding Kanab Point.

I find myself riding on a trail that wasn't even on the maps. The trail I need is off to the right. I find a track to head that way.
When I find the track I had intended to take it was overgrown and blocked by berms.

I went back to the track I had been on and decided to follow the heaviest traveled track through several intersections.
That worked out and I found myself back on the correct route.

Them's the rules.

The next 3 miles become rougher.

The track twists tightly through the trees and often had a center bump to high to cross. There was a tree growing
out into the apex of nearly every turn. So I had a choice at each corner, cross the hump or bust through tree branches.
I got a lot of Arizona Pinstriping on this section.

I reach Kanab Point and decide I'm done riding for the day. It was only 12:30.

I thought I would have the place to myself, but not 10 minutes later three trucks showed up.

I actually had fun visiting with these guys. The guy on the right had been out here 6 or 7 times. He said it was his favorite view.
He was also a Mohave County historian. He is the one that told me SB Point used to be named Son-of-a-Bitch Point.
He said the old cowboys named the canyon next to the point Son-of-a-Bitch Canyon because it was so hard to get the cows out of there.
After about 30 minutes the guys drove off leaving me all alone at one of the most spectacular places on earth.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #95
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,245
Lovin' it!

Old 10-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #96
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 6: Kanab Point

It was a lazy afternoon. After lunch I laid on my riding suit in the shade of my bike and read a book.

Later I went for a short hike.

You can barely see the bike in this photo.

I waited until almost sunset to set up camp. I needed to ensure visitors were unlikely.

Kanab Point has a spectacular and wide view that includes the confluence of Kanab Creek and the Colorado River.
This photo makes it look small, but remember, this is a 360 degree panorama.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #97
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta View Post
Great stuff. Really loving it.
Me too buddy. I especially enjoy reading all of the nice comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
Thank you for sharing another of your adventures and the photos along with it. I too have enjoyed reviewing your back catalog of reports.

An easy road huh?
Thanks Gooner. I'm glad to hear my older reports still get traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post
This ride report looks like it should be a KTM calendar. Well done with the photos.

I loved the cliff hanger. Of course; I read the whole thread this morning, so I didn't really have the suspense.
If KTM wants to give me a bike, I'd let them use all of the photos! Thanks for reading, fanatic291!
Old 10-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #98
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I'm sensing a mild cliff hanger...

Good job turning back after losing the fuel, hard decision I'm sure. You can fix a flat or a broken bike, hard to fix not enough fuel.
Yes, but I still had enough fuel. It was the uneasy feeling that things were starting to go south that made me realize I probably shouldn't try that canyon alone with the roads in the post-storm condition. Probably the right decision, but it was a hard one to make for sure. I just kept thinking the lost fuel was a bad omen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
I've been doing Ride Reports for years, and of course just snapping pictures as I ride.
But I recently decided to make photography a higher priority on my trips.
I am enjoying your pictures very much. I see I have much to learn.

Thanks for posting.
Q~
Hi Q! PMs sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar Beemer View Post
And as others have noted, these are not your Tour Bus pictures!
Although, manhandling the overloaded KTM sometimes it feels like a Tour Bus. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #99
AKMotorbiker
Searching for sanity

Oddometer: 162
As far as Murphy's law goes, if three things go wrong, no matter how small, I call it a day. At least take a break and reevaluate. Sometimes one big thing will call it though. Great pics, I'm planning my next adventure in my head right now!
AKMotorbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #100
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 7

I packed up camp at sunrise. It had been extremely windy last night, so I didn't sleep to well.

I rode out on the same fun two-track.
I shot some video here to show the tight twisty track and the fun wide open section.

Back at the high speed gravel roads...

I shot more video.
The rear-facing view was shot while running 70+ on the CR 5.
The forward facing clips are from the CR 9.

Once on the highway I found it strange to have to slow down for a construction zone all the way to town with a speed limit of 35.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #101
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

I spent the morning in Kanab, UT and Fredonia, AZ where I eat breakfast, shop for groceries, refill my water supplies and fuel etc.
I also had to tighten the gear shift lever as the bolt was backing out.

It was about 11:30 as I turned off of Ryan Road and headed towards Gunsight Point.
My GPS says to go straight here, but the majority of traffic obviously goes right.

I follow my GPS which shows this route will hook back up with the other road straight ahead.

It was fun, until the road ended in several faint tracks, none which seemed to be heading in the right direction.
So back to the intersection I go. Everyone else turns right, I had to turn left.

Just follow this sign, stupid. Ignore the GPS.

I met some nice German tourists that had wandered out here in a rented 4x4 pickup.
I think Kanab Point is visible from here, but I'm not sure.

Gunsight Point Panorama

To the left I see the Kaibab Plateau. I intentionally saved the best for last...

The rear tire was new at the start of this trip. I don't think the Heidenau likes rocks.

This is Arizona, so some road signs are hard to read.

Ryan Road Approaching The Kaibab Plateau

Ryan Road turns into the FS 22, the main west side road that will take you all the way to Highway 67 near the park entrance.

But I'm not going to the touristy areas. I turn off on FS 235 towards the Kanab Creek Wilderness.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #102
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Is there any way to get the GPS tracks for this trip?
Yes. I'll post up a link to the tracks at the end of the report, unless you need them right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
The Lava Falls shot is outstanding.. Like the shadow of your hand in the photo of when you completed your flat repair..
Thanks brother! I'm thinking the west view from Toroweap was my favorite shot of the whole trip.
That shot is an HDR panorama from 30 exposures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgawee View Post
Enjoying the RR. Hey under 2hrs to change a flat, that's not bad. Unpack, dismantle, put back then repack everything. I have to remind myself who's in a hurry, it's a vacation.
You forgot undress, redress. It was warm. I stripped down to shorts and t-shirt.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #103
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
another great report, wish i knew you were riding this i would have tagged along and shared gas
I don't know, Paul. The last I saw your bike it was having a hard time holding gas in as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMotorbiker View Post
As far as Murphy's law goes, if three things go wrong, no matter how small, I call it a day. At least take a break and reevaluate. Sometimes one big thing will call it though. Great pics, I'm planning my next adventure in my head right now!
Sound advice. Glad I could help.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #104
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Yes. I'll post up a link to the tracks at the end of the report...

I've considered riding this area north of the Grand Canyon and even looked at it on maps a bit, but this report has pretty much convinced me this is a must ride!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #105
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

NMTrailBoss, Time to get the BLM Arizona Strip Map and start planning.

I meant to put this description of the Arizona Strip from the BLM website at the start of the report, but then they closed the web...

From the BLM
Quote:
The Grand Canyon isolates the Arizona Strip from the rest of Arizona, making it among the most remote and rugged public land in the lower 48 states. There are approximately 4,000 miles of unpaved roads leading to spectacular scenic vistas, remoteness and solitude among rough scenic canyons and ponderosa pine forests. This distinctive part of Arizona has a special appeal to many people.

I keep forgetting to add the maps in the right place.