User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,563
Sub 500cc ADV Bike

You will have to pardon my ignorance as I have never taken a cross country trip and minus a couple gravel roads it's been 35 years since I've piloted a dirt bike but I'm wondering why has no manufacturer released a sub 500cc 80% street, 20% dirt ADV bike. I know there are a couple dirt oriented offerings and I'm familiar with the current crop of 650's but I'm thinking more along the lines of something in the 300-400cc range. Something like a baby Wee Strom.
I'm certainly not suggesting there should be, I'm more just curious as to why a bike like this would fail as a cross country mover.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 502
People ride DRZ400, WR250, etc. around the world, what more do ya want??

operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by operose View Post

If nothing else, something with a more comfortable/wider seat.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,603
They are coming... But you better buy one within the next couple of years because they don't sell well and will be discontinued AGAIN.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
We spent a bit of time wondering the same thing. I was really hoping for something in the 350-450cc range. We're happy with our DR650's, and she loves her little Wombat, but still wonder why the gap. It seems like most of the smaller cc bikes are decidedly more dirt oriented, basically, plate-able dirt bikes.

Doesn't Honda have a new 500cc bike, maybe 500 ADX?

MV
Old 10-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

That's a CB500X. Honda's new 500cc adventure bike. We've got to drop by the local dealer today anyway, maybe I'll see if they have one.

MV
Old 10-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
I think it's because people usually "get" to their adventure on the slab. Who the hell wants to ride a 350-400 cc bike on the slab? Not to mention the comfort factor.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,268
... another plea for for the mythic WR450R...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by operose View Post

This.

There COULD be lot's more options, but it's hard to bitch about these two.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I think it's because people usually "get" to their adventure on the slab. Who the hell wants to ride a 350-400 cc bike on the slab? Not to mention the comfort factor.
Check my sig

2013 V-Strom
Old 10-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

The local dealer did have a CB500X. We sat on it. It was, ok. Nothing too spectacular. Simple (standard) controls, nothing in the way of wind protection for the grips. Seat was nice and wide, but this made it a little tougher for Shesaid to feel comfortable with her feet on the ground, despite the 32" seat height. Wheels are a bit smaller than I'd like, and the stock tires aren't going to be much for adventure. The front fender placement is also pretty snug to the tire, so tire options might be a bit limited until some modifications are made. Not to mention sticks, pinecones, rocks, and even acorns that are going to get up in there.

I'm not saying it's a bad choice/bike, I'd really like to try out the 500cc twin, but depending on your idea of adventure, it might need some tweaking.

MV
Old 10-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
The local dealer did have a CB500X. We sat on it. It was, ok. Nothing too spectacular. Simple (standard) controls, nothing in the way of wind protection for the grips. Add handguards, HippoHands, etc. Controls can be swapped. Seat was nice and wide, but this made it a little tougher for Shesaid to feel comfortable with her feet on the ground, despite the 32" seat height. Shave/shape the seat or look for an aftermarket option. Wheels are a bit smaller than I'd like, and the stock tires aren't going to be much for adventure. People swap the stock wheels and tires on even their dirt-oriented dualsports. A Thai racing outfit has already swapped 21/18 knobs onto a CB500X. The front fender placement is also pretty snug to the tire, so tire options might be a bit limited until some modifications are made. Not to mention sticks, pinecones, rocks, and even acorns that are going to get up in there. The Thai outift also used a high fender. They've also added a skid to the bike.

I'm not saying it's a bad choice/bike, I'd really like to try out the 500cc twin, but depending on your idea of adventure, it might need some tweaking.

MV
Great bikes are rarely bought. They're usually built. Find a good base to build on. Even the DR650SE isn't sold with a skid, a tailrack, or a seat that is loved by many.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.

Kommando screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 06:56 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Great bikes are rarely bought. They're usually built. Find a good base to build on. Even the DR650SE isn't sold with a skid, a tailrack, or a seat that is loved by many.
This.... and....

The post you quoted is the real reason why.

Bitch, whine, cry it's not PERFECT for me AND my girlfriend for EXACTLY where we ride and when......so it sucks balls!

2013 V-Strom
Old 10-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
You will have to pardon my ignorance as I have never taken a cross country trip and minus a couple gravel roads it's been 35 years since I've piloted a dirt bike but I'm wondering why has no manufacturer released a sub 500cc 80% street, 20% dirt ADV bike. I know there are a couple dirt oriented offerings and I'm familiar with the current crop of 650's but I'm thinking more along the lines of something in the 300-400cc range. Something like a baby Wee Strom.
I'm certainly not suggesting there should be, I'm more just curious as to why a bike like this would fail as a cross country mover.
It isn't just the 300-400cc ADV bikes that are lacking in the US lineup offerings. That size is lacking in almost ALL the offerings here. It is just in recent years that mfrs came back into this size range, and they still aren't offered in the same numbers as the larger bikes. The Ninja 300 is a bike that was upped in displacment from the Ninja 250. Kawi didn't just decide to offer a 300. It evolved from a pre-existing bike.

I predict a slow creep up in displacement from current small-displacement offerings, for the most part. Most mfrs don't do like Honda, and just come out with a lineup of 500cc twins out of the blue. These things usually evolve from an existing offering.

Mfrs would want to know that an offering could sell before it's worth it for them to enter into costly development and production.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

No bitching. Did you read the last line? I never said it was bad, just pointed out some quick things I noticed when I stopped by the dealer today. I think just about all bikes need tweaking, half the time because somewhere along the way of owning the bike(s), the rider's preferences get tweaked as well. I just thought I'd offer up a couple of quick thoughts since I was going to be by there today.

I suppose the one thing I should have noticed though was the price. Sorry. I imagine my dealler has it stickered for list, as that seems to be the way they want to do it around here.

MV