Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Franck B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Madagascar, Land fo freedom, Kingdom of offroad adventure

Every other year, I go for two weeks of off-road adventure with friends. We all like tight off-road stuff. We also like racing pace. But most of all we like adventure rides that combine the above and disconnects us from our gentle family European life.

We found this in Madagascar and much more. A 2000km trip, 11,5 days off-road ride through fantastic landscapes, challenging terrain and the most off-road bikers friendly people Iīve ever met.

After 2007, 2009 and 2011 being 3500km off-road trips in Morocco, we were looking for new lands for our knobbies. 2012 I travelled with my wife to Madagascar, kids at grandma, and did some soft ADV, a few hundred km, mostly off-road, 2 on a Chinese bike :

No big thrill but still better than a Honda cub, and most of all a good way to get the first impressions of what a larger-scale ride could be with an appropriate thumper.
Then, when we were in Nosy Be, we met Thierry:

Thierry and Andrea had there a number of well maintained Honda XR400 CRF450 with long range tanks, belonging to them and to friends of their MC from all Madagascar. They do local races and occasionally also organise for clients 1-day trips in Nosy Be (check the more detailed map below) and sometimes a few days on mainland. But every year in July/August they leave with the club for several weeks of adventures, discovering new tracks around Madagascar. So they were exactly the right people to organise an ambitioned trip "a la carte" with.
Well you can imagine the connection was quickly made, so I talked with Thierry and a few weeks later spoke to my friends to build up a team and do it.
From the usual suspects, the team was formed of I, Patrick, Marc and Antonio. Except Antonio, the other 3 of us had already lived in Africa, so we had an idea of it means to spend a night out in the bush there. Antonio was the rookie in this trip, but he was so boiling excited and overmotivated that he simply belonged to the team.
The trip:
If ever you donīt know much about Madagascar, or maybe just know that itīs an island somewhere, here is how our 2000km trip (tracks, north) looks like:

So even if you considered doing a 18000km ride from spain to kamtschatka, it should be possible there too.

Franck B screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 09:16 AM Reason: pics too small
Franck B is offline   Reply With Quote