ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #166
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: S. W. Mssouri
Oddometer: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanShotFirst View Post
BMW uses torch because it allows rapid assembly at the factory with less issues to slow down production. Like every other vehicle manufacturer, they don't give a rats ass about repair; that's for the mechanics to figure out.
Torx, not torch. They are superior in every way. If I could I would ban cross heads, there are several standards, Phillips, posi drive and JIS, idiots tend to strip them out. Allen is not a perfect weither. Torx bits might cost a bit more, but they outperform hex anbd cross bits by good margin. About the only time I see a stripped Torx is when someone tried to use an Allen.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #167
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 47,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
Torx, not torch. They are superior in every way. If I could I would ban cross heads, there are several standards, Phillips, posi drive and JIS, idiots tend to strip them out. Allen is not a perfect weither. Torx bits might cost a bit more, but they outperform hex anbd cross bits by good margin. About the only time I see a stripped Torx is when someone tried to use an Allen.

Rod
Or a wrong size Torx.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #168
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound
 
Waco's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 14,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
It's cause they never see the road, and if they broke down, they're too heavy to push, especially with a 350 pounder riding pillion
When I'm out exploring back roads, I see more HDs than any other brand.
__________________
Support the AMA.
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #169
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound
 
Waco's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 14,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
Torx, not torch. They are superior in every way. If I could I would ban cross heads, there are several standards, Phillips, posi drive and JIS, idiots tend to strip them out. Allen is not a perfect weither. Torx bits might cost a bit more, but they outperform hex anbd cross bits by good margin. About the only time I see a stripped Torx is when someone tried to use an Allen.

Rod
In my experience, the Torx bit fails before the fastener.
__________________
Support the AMA.
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #170
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,060
My buddy treated himself to a new 2013 Road Glide last year. ElCheapo regulator left him walking at 1100 miles, dealer had it a WEEK during prime riding time. Security system remote has been inoperative, two dealer trips. This fall, the front brake rotors are warped shudder like a whore in church when brake is used, rear air shock has gushed oil on the rear brake caliper, so watermelon seed rear brake. Dealer has had it THREE weeks.

My Sister's 2013 Softail had loose front spokes, and a front brake that would go to the bar, couldn't be bled.

Sure, MoCo fixes it, (eventually) but it's really quite pathetic, the money paid, and the "Soup Nazi" treatment given.

All low grade crap, with pretty paint.
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #171
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
My buddy treated himself to a new 2013 Road Glide last year. ElCheapo regulator left him walking at 1100 miles, dealer had it a WEEK during prime riding time. Security system remote has been inoperative, two dealer trips. This fall, the front brake rotors are warped shudder like a whore in church when brake is used, rear air shock has gushed oil on the rear brake caliper, so watermelon seed rear brake. Dealer has had it THREE weeks.

My Sister's 2013 Softail had loose front spokes, and a front brake that would go to the bar, couldn't be bled.

Sure, MoCo fixes it, (eventually) but it's really quite pathetic, the money paid, and the "Soup Nazi" treatment given.

All low grade crap, with pretty paint.
My buddy treated himself to a $30,000 wing.
Had to go in for a recall on the frame. Hit a hard bump the frame would crack...
It was a recall, he wasn't the only one.
Also recalled a couple times for the rear brake not releasing. Took about 8 years for Honda to straighten that one out...
Does his own oil changes. Takes over 2 hours because of all the panels that need to be removed. The tabs are notorious for breaking. Know of a few people who had to replace them. Cost an arm and a leg.

What's your point?
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #172
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer
 
MiteyF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan... temporarily
Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
My buddy treated himself to a $30,000 wing.
Had to go in for a recall on the frame. Hit a hard bump the frame would crack...
It was a recall, he wasn't the only one.
Also recalled a couple times for the rear brake not releasing. Took about 8 years for Honda to straighten that one out...
Does his own oil changes. Takes over 2 hours because of all the panels that need to be removed. The tabs are notorious for breaking. Know of a few people who had to replace them. Cost an arm and a leg.

What's your point?
At least Honda recalled it, and fixed it for free, instead of releasing crap to the public then allowing the customer to be SOL until the (likely expensive) work was done.
__________________
People tell me I have a motorcycle problem. I tell them, I may have problems, but motorcycles are the solution.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #173
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
At least Honda recalled it, and fixed it for free, instead of releasing crap to the public then allowing the customer to be SOL until the (likely expensive) work was done.
Hey dipshit...
Read the recall list.
First recall for the rear brakes dragging was in 2001 then in 02, 03, 04, 05,
06, 07, 08 ,09, 10.
Took Honda 10 frickin years to figure it out....... wonder how expensive that was to the owners? hmmmm
Sounds to me like someone was releasing crap to the public "when they knew it sucked."

First frame recall was I believe in 01 and then all the way up to 04. (with complaints still coming in of newer models.)
Again, who was releasing crap to the customer?

Red9 screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 05:50 PM
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #174
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss
 
Mr.Efficiency's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cleveland
Oddometer: 448
I like them all. Honda makes very reliable and very boring motorcycles. I love the FJR, if i wasnt 6'2", i might ride one... OK, they're boring too. I love the vstrom. if i want a cheaply built but strong bike, I'd get me one, but after 10 years, they look shabby... Of course, i dont think ive ever seen a 10 year old Strom.

For the typical rider, I think the typical japanese bike is fine. I like the permanence of BMW. i have owned a dozen brands of bike. Still, simply, the best built machine have been my BMWs. I like the permanence of harley davidson. They are plodding tractors, but they are made out of metal.

In 10 yesrs, I dont want to own a pile of fading plastic and worn suspension parts. Most riders dont have their bikes in 5 years, so, buy they should buy the more reliable japanese bike... After that first 75000 miles, I've only got 50000 miles on my current GS, but its starting to break in nicely. Certainly it has given me less trouble than any other bike, other than my paris dakar... And that bike looked good at 200,000 miles.
__________________
The Road is Life
Jack Kerouac
Mr.Efficiency is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #175
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer
 
MiteyF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan... temporarily
Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Efficiency View Post
I like them all. Honda makes very reliable and very boring motorcycles. I love the FJR, if i wasnt 6'2", i might ride one... OK, they're boring too. I love the vstrom. if i want a cheaply built but strong bike, I'd get me one, but after 10 years, they look shabby... Of course, i dont think ive ever seen a 10 year old Strom.

For the typical rider, I think the typical japanese bike is fine. I like the permanence of BMW. i have owned a dozen brands of bike. Still, simply, the best built machine have been my BMWs. I like the permanence of harley davidson. They are plodding tractors, but they are made out of metal.

In 10 yesrs, I dont want to own a pile of fading plastic and worn suspension parts. Most riders dont have their bikes in 5 years, so, buy they should buy the more reliable japanese bike... After that first 75000 miles, I've only got 50000 miles on my current GS, but its starting to break in nicely. Certainly it has given me less trouble than any other bike, other than my paris dakar... And that bike looked good at 200,000 miles.
Some of us "typical riders" ride every day, year round, and like stuff that runs. Speaking of 10 year old Stroms, I've got one (OK, it's only 9). I've only put 20k on it so far (40k on the bike), but have done nothing to it besides basic maintenance. And it's easy to work on. Last week I did wheel bearings (front and rear), brake pads (front and rear), chain/sprocket, and oil/filter AFTER WORK, and rode it to work the next day. I've never once had to take a different bike/car for the day because it was down for maintenance. It runs every day, perfectly, and I ride the PISS out of it. It sees redline at least once a day.
__________________
People tell me I have a motorcycle problem. I tell them, I may have problems, but motorcycles are the solution.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #176
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 5,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Some of us "typical riders" ride every day, year round, and like stuff that runs. Speaking of 10 year old Stroms, I've got one (OK, it's only 9). I've only put 20k on it so far (40k on the bike), but have done nothing to it besides basic maintenance. And it's easy to work on. Last week I did wheel bearings (front and rear), brake pads (front and rear), chain/sprocket, and oil/filter AFTER WORK, and rode it to work the next day. I've never once had to take a different bike/car for the day because it was down for maintenance. It runs every day, perfectly, and I ride the PISS out of it. It sees redline at least once a day.
holy jesus man short is your commute? I already have 40k miles on my 3 year old Sportster. it has been the most dependable bike I have ever owned and by far the easiest to work on. it is also the first non-japanese bike I have ever owned. I literally ride it day in day out rain or shine and it is also my preferred conveyance every time I leave the state. some people that ride every single day and want a reliable motorcycle ride Harley Davidsons .
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My HD Scram-ster build
Help Save a Pit-Bull
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #177
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Some of us "typical riders" ride every day, year round, and like stuff that runs. Speaking of 10 year old Stroms, I've got one (OK, it's only 9). I've only put 20k on it so far (40k on the bike), but have done nothing to it besides basic maintenance. And it's easy to work on. Last week I did wheel bearings (front and rear), brake pads (front and rear), chain/sprocket, and oil/filter AFTER WORK, and rode it to work the next day. I've never once had to take a different bike/car for the day because it was down for maintenance. It runs every day, perfectly, and I ride the PISS out of it. It sees redline at least once a day.
Gee.
You "typical adventure rider you'....

You ride every day, year round in Michigan!

Must live in South Michigan...

Also must be riding it around inside your frickin garage... Because at 20k in 9 years, your 'daily rides' work out to about 2,222 k/year....

The average disabled person walks farther than that...
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #178
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss
 
Mr.Efficiency's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cleveland
Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Some of us "typical riders" ride every day, year round, and like stuff that runs. Speaking of 10 year old Stroms, I've got one (OK, it's only 9). I've only put 20k on it so far (40k on the bike), but have done nothing to it besides basic maintenance. And it's easy to work on. Last week I did wheel bearings (front and rear), brake pads (front and rear), chain/sprocket, and oil/filter AFTER WORK, and rode it to work the next day. I've never once had to take a different bike/car for the day because it was down for maintenance. It runs every day, perfectly, and I ride the PISS out of it. It sees redline at least once a day.
Exactly my point. I think its a strong bike. 15 years, 125,000 miles, it will be all duct tape and faded plastic.

Now, its probably not important, the typical rider (you seem to take offense, you shouldnt) doesnt want to ride the same bike for 10 years or over 100,000 miles. So, the beemers advantage isnt worth the premium. It is to me. I buy them, i keep them, I ride them until they cant be ridden anymore. Atypical, in ten years i dont want a new bike, and ill have well over 100,000 miles on the one I do.

No bike is easier to work on than a BMW boxer GS. No tupperware, no tight spaces. I do 100 percent of my maintenance, with alaptop and a simple tool kit and a twin max. And when i get done, i get better all round performance than any other bike I know of.

I really, really like it. And im no fanboy, I like everyone elses too. ive got a ural... And ive owned all the others. And liked them. They're just not a BMW.

My BMW has 50,000 miles and has needed nothing, also. It may need something before 125,000 miles, but then again, maybe not. I know Ive got my best chance of getting where Im going on the beemer. Know, dont think, Ive had the others... And just plain wasnt impressed.

I like the technology, I like the handling, I like the performance and the bike is tough as nails. At 80,000 miles, Ill put a clutch in it and ride it 80,000 miles more.

For that kind of punishment, there is still only one marque I trust
__________________
The Road is Life
Jack Kerouac
Mr.Efficiency is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #179
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss
 
Mr.Efficiency's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cleveland
Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
Gee.
You "typical rider you'....

You ride every day, year round in Michigan!

Must live in South Michigan...

Also must be riding it around inside your frickin garage... Because 20k in 9 years works out to about 2,222 k/year....

The average disabled person walks farther than that...
Now, dont be mean. I live in cleveland, and ride year round... i only have time for about 10000 miles a year... On the GS, about 2000 miles a year on the Ural.

Funny, but my unreliable, non japanese boxers just keep running and the ASC keeps me upright on nasty semi frozen roadways.
__________________
The Road is Life
Jack Kerouac
Mr.Efficiency is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #180
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer
 
MiteyF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan... temporarily
Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Efficiency View Post
Exactly my point. I think its a strong bike. 15 years, 125,000 miles, it will be all duct tape and faded plastic.

Now, its probably not important, the typical rider (you seem to take offense, you shouldnt) doesnt want to ride the same bike for 10 years or over 100,000 miles. So, the beemers advantage isnt worth the premium. It is to me. I buy them, i keep them, I ride them until they cant be ridden anymore. Atypical, in ten years i dont want a new bike, and ill have well over 100,000 miles on the one I do.

No bike is easier to work on than a BMW boxer GS. No tupperware, no tight spaces. I do 100 percent of my maintenance, with alaptop and a simple tool kit and a twin max. And when i get done, i get better all round performance than any other bike I know of.

I really, really like it. And im no fanboy, I like everyone elses too. ive got a ural... And ive owned all the others. And liked them. They're just not a BMW.

My BMW has 50,000 miles and has needed nothing, also. It may need something before 125,000 miles, but then again, maybe not. I know Ive got my best chance of getting where Im going on the beemer. Know, dont think, Ive had the others... And just plain wasnt impressed.

I like the technology, I like the handling, I like the performance and the bike is tough as nails. At 80,000 miles, Ill put a clutch in it and ride it 80,000 miles more.

For that kind of punishment, there is still only one marque I trust
Don't get me wrong, I would love to own a BMW someday, when I have a bunch of expendable cash to blow on a luxury. I'd also like to own a Harley. But I ride Japanese bikes, because I know they'll ALWAYS work, and my bike is my transportation. I don't have the luxury of saying "ooh, it looks cold out today. Maybe I'll drive the car." The Wee is how I get around, and I can't think of many better bikes for the job... and all of the bikes I CAN think of are Japanese.

Of course, when you say maintenance is so easy on a BMW, well... I shouldn't have to take a swingarm off to replace a clutch. I find that a bit ridiculous. I've never owned one, so I can't speak to it... but I've heard some things from other owners...

As for Harleys... I don't even want to get into it
__________________
People tell me I have a motorcycle problem. I tell them, I may have problems, but motorcycles are the solution.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014