ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #4066
stuser
Putt putt putt
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz-in-Oz View Post
can anyone tell me where I can find a good value place to get a throttle cable around canberra?

Try Joe's, met a fellow travelling through a while back on a KLR, he was needing a clutch cable and could'nt get on at CMC, Joe's had one in stock even though they arn't Kawasaki dealers, lent him tools etc.
Yeah I'll try them.... was there already today getting a refund for the last incorrect parts they sold me....
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #4067
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz-in-Oz View Post
can anyone tell me where I can find a good value place to get a throttle cable around canberra?

Try Joe's, met a fellow travelling through a while back on a KLR, he was needing a clutch cable and could'nt get on at CMC, Joe's had one in stock even though they arn't Kawasaki dealers, lent him tools etc.

Know a bloke in Yass how can make them up, uses your old outer
I've got some gear for doing it but haven't got any new inner cable
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - 2015], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project' x2 [for sale]
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #4068
stuser
Putt putt putt
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Know a bloke in Yass how can make them up, uses your old outer
I've got some gear for doing it but haven't got any new inner cable
Cheers
Baza
that sounds good.... anything I can do to make it happen?

A friend was telling me today that Joes used to make them up for you when they were just a wrecker.... shame they don't any more...
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #4069
JD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JD's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra
Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
that sounds good.... anything I can do to make it happen?

A friend was telling me today that Joes used to make them up for you when they were just a wrecker.... shame they don't any more...
They are push/pull aren't they?

If you're not in any great hurry you can get a full set for around $50 or so from ebay US.

Or if you were desperate to ride it you can usually buy inner cable from a pushbike shop and solder on some nipples.....
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #4070
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post

Or if you were desperate to ride it you can .... solder on some nipples.....
Mate, stuffing around with nipples is all very well but I'd just go and buy a throttle cable from CMC and be done with it ...

The difference shopping around is going to be less than fuel / postage / decent cup of coffee etc ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:54 AM   #4071
stuser
Putt putt putt
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Mate, stuffing around with nipples is all very well but I'd just go and buy a throttle cable from CMC and be done with it ...

The difference shopping around is going to be less than fuel / postage / decent cup of coffee etc ...
forget CMC... don't have it in stock.... want payment up front and will get it next week....

Mototech.... based in Geelong... $62.70 for both push and pull throttle cables, delivered to my door :)

.... and they sell KTM parts, too....

http://www.mototech.com.au
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #4072
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz-in-Oz View Post
can anyone tell me where I can find a good value place to get a throttle cable around canberra?

Try Joe's, met a fellow travelling through a while back on a KLR, he was needing a clutch cable and could'nt get on at CMC, Joe's had one in stock even though they arn't Kawasaki dealers, lent him tools etc.
Call in home next time you get a chance, I might be able to sort out something for you
I'll check out what's available in Goulburn tomorrow too!
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - 2015], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project' x2 [for sale]
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #4073
wiz.au
Studly Adventurer
 
wiz.au's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: ACT, Australia
Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Mate, stuffing around with nipples is all very well but ...
I can't believe no one touched this.....

Personally, I like stuffing around with nipples, as long as they are attached to the fairer sex.
__________________
"That guy with the tag on the back of his jacket, he's got a different chip in his head..."
wiz.au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #4074
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,332
Possibly a bit of a dumb question ...

Have many people here wrapped their header pipes (i.e. right back to the muffler) ... ?

Does this reduce the extent to which the pipe heats up the motor bay and its various sensitive bits and pieces ... ?

Are there any downsides to exhaust wrapping ... ?

I guess I'm wondering where the heat goes ... and if it doesn't go anywhere, what that might do to the exhaust system ... in terms of damage and performance ... ?

Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #4075
JAKE91
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Queanbeyan NSW
Oddometer: 26
I've seen it on a few older trucks and 4x4s before where the exhausts run under the cab but it does tend to cause it to rust out after a while due to trapping the moisture in, that's if its getting wet frequently. I guess this wouldn't be such a problem on a shiny stainless ktm pipe
JAKE91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #4076
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE91 View Post

I've seen it on a few older trucks and 4x4s before where the exhausts run under the cab but it does tend to cause it to rust out after a while due to trapping the moisture in, that's if its getting wet frequently. I guess this wouldn't be such a problem on a shiny stainless ktm pipe
Thanks Jake - I don't think the wrap would stay wet long, with the bike's movement and engine warmth - I was wondering more about trapped heat and destroyed pipe ... but just speculation ... I rode it yesterday, and even at 20C you can really feel the heat coming off the pipe - seems to set off the oil sensor, and can't be good for other bits and pieces ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #4077
GodSilla
I did that.
 
GodSilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Village Idiot's residence
Oddometer: 7,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
... I rode it yesterday, and even at 20C you can really feel the heat coming off the pipe - seems to set off the oil sensor, and can't be good for other bits and pieces ...
Solution : Ride faster.
__________________
Death to Turnips.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #4078
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ron50's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Canberra
Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Thanks Jake - I don't think the wrap would stay wet long, with the bike's movement and engine warmth - I was wondering more about trapped heat and destroyed pipe ... but just speculation ... I rode it yesterday, and even at 20C you can really feel the heat coming off the pipe - seems to set off the oil sensor, and can't be good for other bits and pieces ...
A low kilometre Feroza I had lost about 6 inches of its exhaust near the front after a Simpson Desert crossing. It corresponded to an area that had a little impact shield attached to the leading edge of the pipe where it started travelling parallel with the floor.

The exhaust expert who repaired the damage said that the low speed and high revs overheated the metal so much that it crystalised and became brittle. So he recommended against replacing the impact guard.

On that basis I'd say wrapping pipes should be avoided if possible.

Ron50 screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 04:43 PM
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #4079
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron50 View Post
A low kilometre Feroza I had lost about 6 inches of its exhaust near the front after a Simpson Desert crossing. It corresponded to an area that had a little impact shield attached to the leading edge of the pipe where it started travelling parallel with the floor.

The exhaust expert who repaired the damage said that the low speed and high revs overheated the metal so much that it crystalised and became brittle. So he recommended against replacing the impact guard.

On that basis I'd say wrapping pipes should be avoided if possible.
That was exactly my concern ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #4080
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,332
Ride this Thursday (24th)
Meet at the Gundaroo shop a bit before 8:30 ...
We'll head to Taralga via Swallowtail Pass - and note that Taralga CRT now has premium fuel!
We'll top up there and get an early feed, then do a loop through some of the trails north of Taralga (heading off Range FT) ...
Back to Taralga, then home via gravel if time / fuel are OK - otherwise the road more travelled to Goulburn ...
Let me know if keen ...

EDIT: I see there's a fire up north of Taralga - we'll keep an eye on that, and go in a different direction if it's still an issue

Hoots screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 09:27 PM
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014