Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #46
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
So my question is, why do you farkle?
Safety - headlight & brakelight modulators, horn, aux lighting.
Ergonomics - windshield.
Function - Top case, hitch & trailer, tankbag, etc
Comfort - seat, heated doohickeys, etc.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #47
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoTsuga View Post
Well, first of all, the logical fallacy in your OP is that of false choice. You essentially equate farkles with the touratech catalog. This is misguided at best, and laughable in reality. To farkle is to make small modifications to your bike to increase its utility. Like removing the kickstand sensor on your bike so that when you land a little air, and centripetal force causes the kickstand to move downward a little bit, it doesn't momentarily kill spark to your motor.
Or, cutting the opening on your airbox to allow more air, etc. When I think "farkle", I certainly don't think of blowing a house payment on touratech crap.
Just my $.02
Going a step further- I've done lots of extra lights, heated grips, accessory sockets, etc. and have never so much as looked at a Touratech catalog.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #48
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
I'm almost positive this will not be a popular thread.

Why do so many folks feel the need to 'farkle' their bikes. As long as it's legal and ethical, what a person chooses to do in the privacy of their own home/garage...uh...nevermind. I'm just browsing Touratech's site (There's your problem.) and I'm looking at these prices just scratching my head. People are paying exorbitant amounts of money to dress up their bikes and these aftermarket companies are laughing all the way to the bank.

Everyone knows having farkles doesn't help re-sale value (maybe it will help make a sale). Pull them off and part them out. Sell the bike as stock.

Personally, I'd rather save the money and invest it in a trip, or put it towards more long term goals such as retirement. I also use the money to use on camping/hiking gear that will have a real usable value, rather than an aesthetic quality. Everybody has their own priorities. Some of us already have way too much money to travel and retire on, but no worthy heirs to leave it to.

Before people chime in defending farkles, I do know a lot of them serve a utilitarian purpose, such as wider foot pegs, PIAA lights for more visibility on the road for oncoming traffic, etc. People that are firm believers in farkling, do you try to buy farkles used first, to offset the jaw dropping sticker retail price?

Yes. I got a used DR650SE for less than what some people make as a single mortgage payment. I only have maybe 3 more farkle projects I want...50+WHP, fully-adjustable suspension, and fender-mounted dancing hula-girl with amber LED headlights.

So my question is, why do you farkle?
Because it is there.

Great bikes are built, not bought. No mfr makes a bike exactly how I want it, and even if they did, I may not like it that way for every ride. Bike mfrs don't often offer many options, like car mfrs do. I've never understood why, as it's a chance for more sales/profit.

I can run down the interstate in relative comfort and well-lit safety, 5 states over, fully loaded with a windscreen, luggage, and touring pegs. When I park the bike at my hotel/campsite, I can strip all that off and ride it like a dirtbike on the local trails. Try an extended adv trip on most bikes without farkling them in some way.

Kommando screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 12:00 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #49
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Not sure about the farkled woman, my wife doesn't even wear makeup and sure as hell he doesn't need to either.
Is this what you meant?

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #50
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,857
It's also what you want out of your bike. For some, riding it is only a piece of the equation - building it is another and important piece.

I mentioned before that with cars, I tend to buy only as much wiring harness as I need, and then build from there. My desired combination of addons isn't usually in the factory option package, and a lot of times, I am looking for something that is really outside of the envelope. So "farkling" is the only way to get what I want. No crime in that! Same with bikes - why come down on someone who chooses to build what they want, instead of figthing an endless battle with the manufacturer to convince them to build what might likely be a one-off?

The build is part of the journey.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #51
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
At the opposite, I tend to "unfarkle" my bikes : stickers are removed before they become olds and leave marks on the plastics, then right mirror, blinkers, canisters and all these unuseful and so heavy parts.

The only added parts allowed (on my bikes) should come from the bike manufacturer if possible, in order to stay as close to stock as possible. Anyway, reversibility to stock state is a must for periodical inspections (every 2-3 years here).

When I get a used vehicule (car or bike) all the previous owner farkling is usually nothing more than someone else garbage. Now about selling a farkled bike ... never had any pay-back for farkles, except as a selling argument.

L
Old 10-21-2013, 04:43 AM   #52
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,384
Quote:
I People are paying absorbent amounts of money to dress up their bikes
Absorbent amounts? Is that a lot?

Quote:
I just wanted to know why people invested so much money in seemingly needless stuff.
Invested? d00d, it's just consumer spending. It's not an investment.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #53
Dan-M
Banned

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Absorbent amounts? Is that a lot?

His cash has been absorbed by his bike.
Dan-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #54
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Whenever I look at the bottom of my skid plate or the front of my hand guards, I'm really glad I have them.
The skid plate adds resale value to the bike, because it prevents my frame from being completely destroyed in two rides.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #55
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Amen, ClearwaterBMW! I edited your post to fit my situation, but the basic gist is the same.

"as was said above....
because I CAN
because i work 100 hours/week
because i have already planned for and continue to contribute to my retirement

companies like touratech are VERY SUCCESSFUL because there are thousands more like me
folks have been "customizing" all kinds of things since the dawn of time and that surely won't end with OUR generation.

HOWEVER....
you don't HAVE to farkle any bike if you don't want to
I really don't believe that anyone want to convince a single person to spend the money he or she doesn't want to. I'm well aware that folks have parted with their money in part because they were convinced to do so because of the excitement of others about the purchase of certain products. It isn't that the thread is going to be unpopular because of your initial words it's just that you and I have a different viewpoint. I believe that's what makes the world go round.

does farkling make fiscal sense... HELL NO
have i lost THOUSANDS of dollars farkling all of my previous bikes.... HELL YES
am i sad about that.... NO
will i farkle my NEXT bike... if i'm able... surely YES"

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #56
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,908
I set up all my bikes the same way and it is for ergonomics, handling and touring

Suspension
Seat
Handlebars
driving lights
louder horn
move handlebars
crash bars
wider footpegs
extra blinky light at rear
GpS and V-1 mount
Fuel cell
I pack all tank bags the same way.

I ride my bikes till they give up the ghost. My bios all have have low value in a few years because of miles ridden, so I keep them

"Bill, I know you are of the ATGATT ilk but I think at times it clouds your reasoning."
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #57
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
I'm almost positive this will not be a popular thread.

Why do so many folks feel the need to 'farkle' their bikes. I'm just browsing Touratech's site and I'm looking at these prices just scratching my head. People are paying absorbent amounts of money to dress up their bikes and these aftermarket companies are laughing all the way to the bank.
Somebody help me out. I can't remember the right word, but it's not absorbent.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #58
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,857
exorbitant
Old 10-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #59
GETTHUMPER2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Laugh Helping out

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Somebody help me out. I can't remember the right word, but it's not absorbent.
EXORBITANT...
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GETTHUMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #60
go4mini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
WITHOUT FARKLES, THERE WOULDN'T BE A FLEA MARKET!!!!!!!
go4mini is offline   Reply With Quote