Old 10-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #181
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
Gee.
You "typical adventure rider you'....

You ride every day, year round in Michigan!

Must live in South Michigan...

Also must be riding it around inside your frickin garage... Because at 20k in 9 years, your 'daily rides' work out to about 2,222 k/year....

The average disabled person walks farther than that...
I do live in South Michigan. And only temporarily until I can get the hell out of here.

And no, I don't commute very far. I've got better shit to do with my time than spend an hour every day on the freeway. Fuck that.

I've also only owned the bike for 3 years.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #182
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Efficiency View Post
Exactly my point. I think its a strong bike. 15 years, 125,000 miles, it will be all duct tape and faded plastic.

Now, its probably not important, the typical rider (you seem to take offense, you shouldnt) doesnt want to ride the same bike for 10 years or over 100,000 miles. So, the beemers advantage isnt worth the premium. It is to me. I buy them, i keep them, I ride them until they cant be ridden anymore. Atypical, in ten years i dont want a new bike, and ill have well over 100,000 miles on the one I do.

No bike is easier to work on than a BMW boxer GS. No tupperware, no tight spaces. I do 100 percent of my maintenance, with alaptop and a simple tool kit and a twin max. And when i get done, i get better all round performance than any other bike I know of.

I really, really like it. And im no fanboy, I like everyone elses too. ive got a ural... And ive owned all the others. And liked them. They're just not a BMW.

My BMW has 50,000 miles and has needed nothing, also. It may need something before 125,000 miles, but then again, maybe not. I know Ive got my best chance of getting where Im going on the beemer. Know, dont think, Ive had the others... And just plain wasnt impressed.

I like the technology, I like the handling, I like the performance and the bike is tough as nails. At 80,000 miles, Ill put a clutch in it and ride it 80,000 miles more.

For that kind of punishment, there is still only one marque I trust
Everyone else's results will vary drastically...

I especially like your "No bike is easier to work on than a BMW boxer GS."
Right before you tell us it never needs anything...

Personally I think your opinion has been jaded by the Ural you had previously.... Anything would have to seem to get "better all round performance."
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #183
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
I do live in South Michigan. And only temporarily until I can get the hell out of here.

And no, I don't commute very far. I've got better shit to do with my time than spend an hour every day on the freeway. Fuck that.

I've also only owned the bike for 3 years.

So then your entire previous post was just BS....

Kind of calls into question everything else you posted wouldn't you say Sparky?
Old 10-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #184
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Now, dont be mean. I live in cleveland, and ride year round... i only have time for about 10000 miles a year... On the GS, about 2000 miles a year on the Ural.

Funny, but my unreliable, non japanese boxers just keep running and the ASC keeps me upright on nasty semi frozen roadways.
I live north of Michigan and had my Ultra out at least one time each month last year. Between 3 bikes this year I put on 12k.
Oh.
And I've never seen a BMW on the road after november or before April
Old 10-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #185
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,089
Quote:

As for Harleys.. I don't even want to get into it
I used to think the same way until i owned one.... Turns out a lot of what you hear are complaints by the minority. HD bikes are dead nuts reliable for the most part. mine has 40 K on it and not one issue. my dads sportster has just to tick over That and same deal. friend of mines wife has an 883 with nearly 140k on it with only routine maintenance. most of the Harley Owners that I know echo a very similar experience. you said in the previous post that you want to own one someday . I think what you do you're going to be pleasantly surprised, I know I have been.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #186
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'd also like to own a Harley. But I ride Japanese bikes, because I know they'll ALWAYS work,

You see... This is why I dislike little twits like you.

You've done nothing here but slam Harley and yet admit you've never owned one...

And then in the next post say "I'd also like to own a Harley."

How the frick old are you? Do your parents know you're up this late?

Well here's what my experience has been and I have owned 3 Harley's, 6 Yamaha's, 2 Honda's a Suzuki and a Kawi. (I still have 2 of the Yamaha's as well as my Ultra).

"I have never had a bike, not once, leave me stranded on the side of the road. And that includes the Harley's. Now strangely enough, I have put probably twice as many miles on the Harley's than all the other bikes put together.... what does that tell you?

And lastly, on every bike, other than the Harley's, I lost way over half their original value when I resold them.
With the Harley's I have never lost more than $4,000, which works out to less than 25% depreciation and that was on a 6 year old softtail I bought new that had almost 50k when I sold it.

Christ I sold a 3 year old fricking Suzuki in the late 80's that had less than 15k and lost almost 70% of what I paid for it new."

Oh and by the way... I'm not picking on Suzuki. I have my eyes peeled and feelers out for a Wes Cooley that someday I will have in the garage.

Red9 screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 07:00 PM
Old 10-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #187
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
And I've never seen a BMW on the road after november or before April
Come to europe. Most of the year-round plates are on BMWs. Mine included. Of course, my CBR is also sporting a full-year tag, but that's mostly because I am too lazy to do the paperwork.

JD Powers and CR confuse reliability with satisfaction to some degree. There are also some expectation management issues - you drop $25K on a bike, you expect it to be perfect. Then you need to make adjustments because it isn't - is that a reliability issue, a quality issue, or an owner issue? A guy buying an S1000RR expects to make a thousand little tweaks, because those tweaks are one of the reasons he bought it. A guy buying a Harley might not realize that those tweaks are possible to make, so he just complains about the poor fit.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #188
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
So then your entire previous post was just BS....

Kind of calls into question everything else you posted wouldn't you say Sparky?
How do you figure? I said I ride every day, which I do. I said the Strom always works great, and has for the 20k miles / 3 years I've owned it, and it has. I don't get where you're going with this (obviously misled) post, but it seems you're trolling more than anything.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #189
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Exactly my point. I think its a strong bike. 15 years, 125,000 miles, it will be all duct tape and faded plastic.

Now, its probably not important, the typical rider (you seem to take offense, you shouldnt) doesnt want to ride the same bike for 10 years or over 100,000 miles. So, the beemers advantage isnt worth the premium. It is to me. I buy them, i keep them, I ride them until they cant be ridden anymore. Atypical, in ten years i dont want a new bike, and ill have well over 100,000 miles on the one I do.

No bike is easier to work on than a BMW boxer GS. No tupperware, no tight spaces. I do 100 percent of my maintenance, with alaptop and a simple tool kit and a twin max. And when i get done, i get better all round performance than any other bike I know of.

I really, really like it. And im no fanboy, I like everyone elses too. ive got a ural... And ive owned all the others. And liked them. They're just not a BMW.

My BMW has 50,000 miles and has needed nothing, also. It may need something before 125,000 miles, but then again, maybe not. I know Ive got my best chance of getting where Im going on the beemer. Know, dont think, Ive had the others... And just plain wasnt impressed.

I like the technology, I like the handling, I like the performance and the bike is tough as nails. At 80,000 miles, Ill put a clutch in it and ride it 80,000 miles more.

For that kind of punishment, there is still only one marque I trust
My experience with Bmw's is a little different and I'm guessing it's because I tend to run the hell out of my bikes. I maintain them but they are used hard. The clutches in Bmw's are very fragile ,expensive and a pain in the ass to replace and for that reason alone I'll probably never own another one with the old style single plate clutch.I don't want to get into the final drive failures.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #190
sarhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanShotFirst View Post
I don't care what anyone says the new 1600 is NOT a sport touring bike. It's a behemoth that wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell catching my ZZR in the twisties or the straights on its best day.
Since you don't care what anyone says, feel free to ignore me when I tell you that the K1600 is, in fact, a sport tourer, and it will, in fact, happily chew your ZZR up and spit it out.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #191
HanShotFirst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Ever been to a track day with your "sports tourer?" I suspect not or you would not make that statement. Sport tourers are heavy, transition slowly, and lack cornering clearance. Any sport bike would destroy, and the S1000RR is probably top of the heap. BTW there is a mag editor who put helibars on an S1000RR and rode it cross country.

If you like your bike for your intended use, great. But sport bikes are a lot Faster, not a little faster. Ricer Flybys don't count.
My ZZR is a 2003 and it was the fastest bike for that year with a top speed at 191mph, 0-60 of 2.9 seconds. By today's standards, most sport bikes can beat it. But your statement that sports bikes are faster just isn't true. The Busa, and the ZX-14 are classified as sports tourers, and either of them are faster than the 1000RR. Remember, not all sports tourers are Concours and FJR's.

Around a track, I happen to know a gent with a 2002 ZZR with 90,000 miles on it who beats guys with dedicated sports bikes every time he shows up.

But honestly, you really made my point for me. To get better performance, you have to go to a dedicated sports bike.
HanShotFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #192
HanShotFirst
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
Since you don't care what anyone says, feel free to ignore me when I tell you that the K1600 is, in fact, a sport tourer, and it will, in fact, happily chew your ZZR up and spit it out.
Now that's funny...I'll take your challenge any day of the week. Straight line, top speed, or in the twisties.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #193
HanShotFirst
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Now that's funny...I'll take your challenge any day of the week. Straight line, top speed, or in the twisties.
So I took a look at the specs on the big 1600. And surprisingly the HP and Torque are very similar to my ZZR. I have a little more HP to the rear wheel and the 1600 has a little more torque. But then you have the weight... And the BMW has nearly 200 more pounds than the ZZR. Sorry, but the beautiful Bimmer 1600 just doesn't have a chance in any race against my decade old ZZR. But the Bimmer is a much nicer bike and the better tourer...just not the better sport tourer.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #194
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post

+1
Old 10-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #195
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,487
Quote:
Sorry, but the beautiful Bimmer 1600 just doesn't have a chance in any race against my decade old ZZR. But the Bimmer is a much nicer bike and the better tourer...just not the better sport tourer.
I would disagree with this. Most would rather do several consecutive 600 mile days on the BMW 1600 than on your ZZR. THAT makes it a better Sport Tourer.