Old 10-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #76
FLX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
WTF is a drainage bold?
Must be a Harley thing.
maybe it's me talking in second language but the ~m15 screw on the underside of the engine you unscrew in order to get the oil out and hopefully tighten again afterwards
FLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #77
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLX View Post
maybe it's me talking in second language but the ~m15 screw on the underside of the engine you unscrew in order to get the oil out and hopefully tighten again afterwards
Nope, that's a bolt.

A drainage bold is a very assertive drainage.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #78
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Nope, that's a bolt.

Un drenaje negrita para Del Taco
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #79
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Un drenaje negrita para Del Taco
Ha, I see what you did there
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #80
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 722
Back when I weighed about 145lbs I bought a brand new Ninja 600c. I took my gf for a ride down to the 7-11, pull up in a parking spot, and before I can get the kickstand down the bike starts to lean over. I've got my left foot down but it keeps leaning... I tell her to put her foot down three times, she finally did when the bike was too far over for me to hold up. The worst part, aside from dropping a new bike, was the guys across the street cheering as the bike went over.

Same bike, same girl, went on a little off road excursion to a covered bridge. Parts of the trail was dry, and the low spots was wet and muddy. She decided to walk as I rode the bike back to the pavement. Yes, I got a little too close to a mud hole and the front end washed out. I think she was more upset about it than I was.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #81
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 150
Turning around a mile after your last stop to find your sunglasses which must have fallen off your tankbag when you put on your helmet just to get there and find that you are wearing them.
DesertTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #82
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,035
Back in the late 70's and early 80's I dragraced a Kaw-H2 with 34mm carbs . In between rounds I would mist the engine down with water to cool it off. I would stick a ball of rolled up papertowels in the back of the carbs to keep them dry. Pushed it to the staging lanes and when they signaled for me to prestage and heat my tire up ,the bike wouldn't start. Kicked like hell and it finally barely started and as I was finally able to get it to clean out a tech tapped me on the shoulder and when I turned to look I saw the sky behind me filled with confetti.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #83
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,581
I left my dad's house at about 4 or 5 am and was heading home. I was already out on long featureless stretches of country road when flashing lights in my mirror said law enforcement so I pulled over. Gloves off, glasses off, helmet off, earplugs out, and the officer is there beside me to tell my my taillight is out. He advised me to leave a turn signal on until I got to a nearby 24-hour gas station where I was able to buy a 1157 bulb at a gas station.

But at the gas station I didn't have my glasses with the black frames and $450.00 polycarbonate safety bifocal lenses. I can see OK without my glasses; no restriction on my license or anything. But the glasses make reading easier and everything sharper.

I looked at my GPS and could zoom in enough to see where I pulled over. Ha -- but is it accurate at all? I went back and turned around and went to where the GPS had turned off (with the ignition) and THERE WERE MY BLACK FRAMES WITH THE $450.00 polycarbonate safety bifocal lenses. They were laying in the black roadside gravel.

I added a supplementary LED taillight to that bike too.

Grinnin screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 07:32 AM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #84
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
First weekend of July, I went up North to visit my parents (about 450kms one way). I did this trip a week after a 1700km trip to the Adirondacks the week before and a weekend long ride the weekend before that.

On the way back from North Bay, I was absolutely beat. I stopped for gas at a station, got off my bike, and noticed the pump was out of order. I got back on my bike and tried to manoeuver to the other side of the pump and dropped the bike right in front of everyone. A total cock up! I cut in line, pumped some gas, and got out of there in a hurry. The weird part is I spent the previous day riding trails on my fully loaded Sertao and didn't go down once.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #85
Meromorph
Expat Brit in TN.

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
I left my dad's house at about 4 or 5 am and was heading home. I was already out on long featureless stretches of country road when flashing lights in my mirror said law enforcement so I pulled over. Gloves off, glasses off, helmet off, earplugs out, and the officer is there beside me to tell my my taillight is out. He advised me to leave a turn signal on until I got to a nearby 24-hour gas station where I was able to buy a 1157 bulb at a gas station.

But at the gas station I didn't have my glasses with the black frames and $450.00 polycarbonate safety bifocal lenses. I can see OK without my glasses; no restriction on my license or anything. But the glasses make reading easier and everything sharper.

I looked at my GPS and could zoom in enough to see where I pulled over. Ha -- but is it accurate at all? I went back and turned around and went to where the GPS had turned off (with the ignition) and THERE WERE MY BLACK FRAMES WITH THE $450.00 polycarbonate safety bifocal lenses. They were laying in the black roadside gravel.

I added a supplementary LED taillight to that bike too.

Zenni Optical...
Meromorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #86
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLathe View Post
In western Colorado in the 1970s, lots of cowboys did not care for motorcycle riders. Sometimes there were confrontations.

One day, I pulled into a gas station and there were a couple of pick-up trucks and some cowboys. My wife, Nina, was riding pillion and we got the stink eye and had to listen their banter. After filling up, I started the bike -- kick start, mounted up, flipped up the kick stand, and away we went. The bike seemed light. I looked over my shoulder and Nina was standing next to the gas pump.

When I pulled back up to the pump, the cowboys were in convulsions of laughter.
OK, this has to be the funniest story so far
Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #87
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
About half of those and one more....

It's important to note this occurred on the last day my 18 year old son's first long weekend road ride with the crew.

We had spent a good weekend of spirited riding and 7 or so of the bikes and riders, including my son and I, were waiting for another 2 or so of the "peanut tank" and "I better fill up just in case" crowd to return. We were on the right shoulder of a rural Northern Michigan road with a steep ditch sloping down to the right.

I got bored and figured roosting up some dirt along the shoulder would be the funnest thing ever. At about my third "roost and back up", with everyone now watching because other than the passing rednecks I was the only entertainment, the leg of my riding pants gets caught on the right peg as I go to put it down.

There was little room for error to begin with here because of the steep bank of the ditch, but that quick catch of my pant leg was all it took to make hilarity and embarrassment ensue.

I can't get my right leg down in time to prevent the slow, inevitable fall to my right side. However, I do get my motorcross laden right foot down just in time for my right leg to be uninjured but perrmanently pinned between the sharply slanting ditch and the right foot peg of my full laden KLR650 (around 480lbs with a full tank and luggage for a full weekend of camping).

So, there I lay like a beached whale. I was pinned to the ground with self-escape not an option. I had to ready myself for help or wait or for the coyotes to arrive to end my fool's misery.

Fortunately, I had many "friends" standing by to help! Help they did, but not without standing around laughing at me for a good 10 minutes and then taking out their cameras to record my folly.

LESSON TO MY SON: After a long weekend of spirited riding the only fool to go down was the one that was showing off AND even then he was saved by good gear.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #88
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
Twice I've forgotten to retighten the axle nut after adjusting my chain.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #89
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Nope, that's a bolt.

Both of you F'n F'ers are wrong. It's a drainage plug.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #90
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Both of you F'n F'ers are wrong. It's a drainage plug.
You are all wrong. It's a non-drainage plug. It only drains when it is not there.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote