Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #2356
DualSportDad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,355
I hear that spot is hit or miss. Last I heard tho a group of guys I rode with for ran out of there a few months back. They were letting people from out of town off with a warning and giving a ticket to those who lived in Charlotte County.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk now Free
DualSportDad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #2357
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
Last I heard they are still kicking off quads/bikes.
I've always ridden it during the week only and never ran into a cop. Also I usually have a plated bike.. Rthe 990 adventure down the wooped out FPL trail last week and saw only 1 or 2 other tracks in the sand and no one else.
Do you know if they were running them off or issuing tickets? And were they just after non-tagged bikes and quads? It's always been illegal to ride on the roads if you didn't have a plate. But you could ride off road, you were just supposed to push your vehicles across the roads if you wanted to cross. A street legal dual sport was good to go, road or off road, a couple years ago.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #2358
TRUBRIT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
??

Is this area also known as 'The Squares' ? NW of Janes Scenic?
TRUBRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #2359
DualSportDad OP
Beastly Adventurer

No what they are taking about is in North Port Charlotte

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk now Free
Old 10-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #2360
jeffjones
"offroad shit"

Oddometer: 159
I couldn't say whether they are ticketing or not. I'd bet the plated bikes will have easier time dealing with the cops if you do get caught.
the "rules" out there change with whatever cop is on duty that day.. Stay away from the mud holes where the rednecks trash and hang.. the single track trails are best because cops on quads stay away from them. Nice to have a bike with a quiet exhaust out there also.

One time I caught a glimpse of a cop on a quad and turned off on the single track never to be found

So anyone got any info on that video? South Squares???? where is this and its legal to ride or gray area??
jeffjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #2361
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:

One time I caught a glimpse of a cop on a quad and turned off on the single track never to be found

3 years ago 2 of us were down there (on a weekday) on DRZ's. We were stopped on the side of one road and I saw 2 quads making a bee line towards us. It was 2 NoPo Leo's and at first I thought they were going to give us some crap, but as soon as they noticed both bikes were tagged they were very cordial. They sat there and talked with us for awhile, and just said the area was "open" again, but stay off FPL's right of way near the Interstate and stay out of the big mud holes, and kkep off the roads if you don't have a tag. Since that time I had gone down there a dozen times, both with dirt bikes / quads (staying off the roads) and dual sports.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #2362
tommyinbonita
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:

So anyone got any info on that video? South Squares???? where is this and its legal to ride or gray area??
yes south squares first part was legal,last part was gray erea. We didn't see any trespassing signs . It should be drying up enough to ride again soon.
tommyinbonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #2363
jeffjones
"offroad shit"

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyinbonita View Post
yes south squares first part was legal,last part was gray erea. We didn't see any trespassing signs . It should be drying up enough to ride again soon.

anyone got any sat pics or location of this?? I recall seeing something on dixieds one time about it, but can't find it anymore!!

i'm up in port charlotte, but going to be doing some trips south to glades and the keys now that the weather is so nice (had the house all opened up today it was perfect here)

I think i found it on sat pics.. is it a crap load of rectangles bunched together south of 75 and west of 29? whats it like out there? soft sand or semi grassed over 2 track??

jeffjones screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 03:24 PM
jeffjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #2364
DualSportDad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
anyone got any sat pics or location of this?? I recall seeing something on dixieds one time about it, but can't find it anymore!!

i'm up in port charlotte, but going to be doing some trips south to glades and the keys now that the weather is so nice (had the house all opened up today it was perfect here)

I think i found it on sat pics.. is it a crap load of rectangles bunched together south of 75 and west of 29? whats it like out there? soft sand or semi grassed over 2 track??
There's a bit of everything out there. I'd be willing to bet its mainly water right now. We had a lot of rain this year, I'm afraid this year the water won't go down for a long time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #2365
Kyle B
"Dirty Jobs"

Oddometer: 800
Bring the "Big Bikes"! More clearance in the high water! I'll be back down in mid November and ready to lead "South Squares" tours.
Kyle B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #2366
DualSportDad OP
Beastly Adventurer

i'm looking forward to meeting up with you guys again this year. this time it'll be for breakfast and you'll have to call me when you're heading out to lunch so i can ride the slab over to meet ya. i'm already on my way to turning this thing into a dirt bike, adding the cheese grater back on, ULY front fender and fork guards (if they'll bolt on) and the bars and bark busters from the KLX. how long do you think it'll be until i have another dualsport?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #2367
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Hey guys, We're looking to do another Wanker ride down there to EC...how are the squares, Janes scenic and loop road looking ? (Sorry, didn't read up...just Boss Hogged' my in and asked..)
Old 10-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #2368
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmann View Post
Hey guys, We're looking to do another Wanker ride down there to EC...how are the squares, Janes scenic and loop road looking ? (Sorry, didn't read up...just Boss Hogged' my in and asked..)
i may head over there this week/weekend. if i do ill report.
i hear from a sofl FF that janes is rough now and it is still pretty wet back there...in august when i was there the south squares were pretty much underwater...the roads were full of fish even...

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #2369
DualSportDad OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm willing to bet that area stays wet for a while this year. I'll probably be in the area this weekend, I might try and see if the buell can make it down sabal palm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #2370
DualSportDad OP
Beastly Adventurer

i went out to sabal palm Saturday, it was dryer than i thought

i didn't make it much farther than this... a street bike is not what you want to ride in gravel.