Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #136
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Hi, I enjoyed your report so far.. I think it is my second Father/Son RR and I really like this one too! The first one I read, father was carrying his 12 years old(I think?) son on his motorcycle up to Alaska but you both are riding as a team. It is unclear if Yukon Johann is still in high school or ? But I think I can see two of you riding south of the border after Yukon graduate from high school??

Yukon Johann, now that you spent the night in college dorm, do you think you are ready for college??
i am still working on getting my high school degree, i am doing a running start program so i can get some college credits along with my high school degree.

i am getting prepared for college when attending this new school :)
Yukon Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #137
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,455
I don't read a lot of RR's, but Grizzlee posted up on my recent RR so I wanted to come on over and read this one.

I guess I'm not a true Adventure Rider because every time I read an RR about going to Prudhoe Bay I come away with the same conclusion--I NEVER want to ride to Alaska!!! Eye candy scenery and all that but OHMYGOD the misery this trips seems to inflict! And the awful roads!

Anyway, clearly great pics and a great adventure for father and son. I think, though, my favorite pic of the whole trip was this one--

Did you mention what kind of boots they were?
Old 08-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #138
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
I don't read a lot of RR's, but Grizzlee posted up on my recent RR so I wanted to come on over and read this one.

I guess I'm not a true Adventure Rider because every time I read an RR about going to Prudhoe Bay I come away with the same conclusion--I NEVER want to ride to Alaska!!! Eye candy scenery and all that but OHMYGOD the misery this trips seems to inflict! And the awful roads!

Anyway, clearly great pics and a great adventure for father and son. I think, though, my favorite pic of the whole trip was this one--
Did you mention what kind of boots they were?

I can't recall the make of his boots. Maybe SIDI or BILT. The armour was ripped off of both boots. His right foot was swollen from somthing that poked through his boot (you can see it in the picture). His other boot looked nearly identical... the toes shredded and the sole was ripped off. Amazing that his toes were uninjured. He did the right thing and didn't put his feet down. The panniers, the handle bars and the crash bars gave him a protective cocoon. Had he put his foot down he may have been thrown from the bike or broke it (and/or his leg) pretty bad.. who knows...

Regarding never wanting to ride to Alaska. I wouldn't hesitate to go again. It is a challenge, more so than riding in the states. Inclement weather is always to be planned for as are tools and extra parts. A trip to Alaska requires a big time commitment, more so than most other lower 48 trips. The remoteness alone makes planning more of an issue and one should always have their gear in top shape before leaving. But, “sheet” does and can happen at anytime. In our case, I don’t think there was anything that we could have done to avoid this problem, other than not go. Not going because of the unknowns isn’t any fun and not a reason not to do something. It’s part of the adventure. I’ve done a lot of soul searching on this over the past month. Believe me, it isn’t easy to think about what could have happened vs what actually happened. When I didn’t see my son in the rear view mirror and I turned around to go back to see what happened, the last thing I expected was to Johann standing there with his boots all ripped off, his pants shredded and his bike in the ditch. This image is vividly etched into my mind. I still wrestle with it, but I think I have come to some resolution. We’ll see. I just got a call today. Johann’s bike has arrived in the port of Seattle. I am not sure what will go through my mind when I see it again.

We hope to go back someday and finish the ride. Johann feels a bit cheated. If we do go, it won’t be all the way to Prudhoe bay though. We will go somewhere else. There is always the ferry option in Washington State... take our bikes up and then ride back...

BTW Drone.. You are an Adventure rider. Just as much as the next guy.... Keep on doing what you do. Hope we can meet up in the PacNW someday. If you keep riding, it will just be a matter of time when our paths cross
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #139
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,455
The reason I said what I said had nothing to do with the crash. I'm not interested in Alaska because of the bugs, the bad roads, the bugs, the cold weather, the bugs, the hot weather, the bugs, the rainy weather, the bugs, and the difficulty finding gas, food and respite from the bugs. For most guys, the adventure and the scenery and the fun make it all worthwhile. For me, I don't think so. I've gotten too soft!
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #140
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Epilog: The Start of a New Adventure

This story was incomplete without knowing the final fate of the Johann's Dakar. It took a couple of months and such to get the bike to Seattle.

This pannier probably saved Johann from getting severely injured or worse.

If you ever need to ship your ride home from the North, it can be a pretty complex problem.

The good folks at Northern Mechanical in Dawson City (NAPA Auto Parts Store) recovered the bike out of the bush and stored it in Dawson until I returned home. I called around to see if I could get a direct shipment to Seattle from there. Unfortunately, I could not. Furthermore, I could not get my insurance to pay for the recovery and shipping within the Yukon.

In my research for shipping options I found that I could get the bike shipped to Seattle via Alaska Marine Freight out of Skagway. The costs would be just over a couple of hundred dollars. The biggest hurdle was getting the bike shipped from Whitehorse to Skagway. It would cross int’l borders and an export license would be needed by whoever delivered the bike, unless it was me as I could show proof of ownership. My plan was to fly up there on a looong weekend, rent a pickup (or borrow one from a local friend in Whitehorse) and deliver the bike to Skagway myself. Skagway is only a 2.5 hour drive from Whitehorse. After much deliberation about the costs, I got a timely email from my buddy Shawn, who lives in Whitehorse, he put me in touch with a local Canadian buddy who does deliveries between Skagway and WH. Unfortunately, it turns out he didn’t have an export license. However, the good news was, he had an American friend, Luke, who ran a tour business in Skagway. So I contacted Luke. Let me just say that Luke is awesome!! He was super friendly and very understanding of my dilemma. He mentioned that he had to go to WH to get building supplies and would pick up the bike for me if I could get it to WH from Dawson. All he asked for in return, was that I pay for his gas. DEAL!!! When I asked about the import license, he said no problem, ‘cuase he was friends with the border guards. So it was all set. Only, Luke didn’t go to WH for a few weeks.

Eventually, I had the folks at Northern Mechanical ship the Dakar via Kluane Shipping to Whitehorse. Having sympathy, they waved all storage fees. From there I was able to arrange transportation with Luke where Luke got it on the boat to Seattle. All total it cost me ~$1400 to get the bike back to Seattle. Not bad at all. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the hospitality and friendship of the people in the north. They are all fantastic.

Once the bike arrived in Seattle, I had my mechanic, Alex pick it up and get me an estimate to repair it. Now Alex runs his own motorcycle repair shop, (AlyxMoto, http://alyxmoto.com/ ). He loves BMW motorcycles and is a damn fine mechanic. He told me informed me that it was going to be close to being a total. Especially if I wanted the bike returned back to it’s “factory Showroom condition”. Alex knows me all too well. Of course, I would want the bike restored to pristine condition. I also scheduled to have the insurance come take a look at it.

Alex Guth (AlyxMoto) If you need your beemer serviced in the Seattle area.
Ale x is your man. Great service with a smile,very reasonable prices and a love for the bikes.

The bottom line was, that the insurance totaled the bike. They reimbursed me more than $600 of my shipping charges in addtion they offered me nearly what I paid for the Dakar a year ago. I have had nothing but good experience over the years with GIECO. Additionally, my insurance stated that I could buy the bike back for $1000. This worked out great for many reasons.

GIECO insurance adjuster giving the Dakar the "once over".

It turned out that Lisa and Simon from “2Ride the World” (http://2ridetheworld.com/ ) were in Seattle. Both Lisa and Thomas have been on the road for over 10 years riding BMW motorcycles. Lisa, in particular rides an F650 GS. They were giving presentations at Touratech in Seattle and the local BMW dealers (South Sound BMW and Ride West). They are sponsored by TouraTech and the Alex is their “go to” guy for mechanical issues. The bottom line is that Lisa’s bike had something like 200,000 miles on the engine. It was time to get another. So they bought the engine from our Dakar. Additionally, they needed a couple of other parts, most notably, the lower swing arm. So the next time you see and/or read about Lisa and Simon on their worldly travels, know that a good part of Johann’s Dakar lives on and its journey didn’t end in the Bush outside of Dawson. In fact, it’s journey is probably just beginning.

Lisa and Simon - 2 Ride The World. Follow them on their adventures

It was hard to hear the adjuster tell us that Dak" couldn't be saved.

Another shout out to Alex Guth - Owner of AlyxMoto in Puget Sound, Wa

So we now have the remains of the Dakar in our garage. No Motor, no swing arm.

The future? Well, we are looking at getting another F650GS or a Dakar. We will use the remaining parts to build another adventure bike for Johann. You can count on that. Once done, we will sell the remaining parts. Oh, and yes, we've been researching steering dampers. It seems that one can be installed on the Dakar. You can bet we will make the bike safe and secure for any and all future endeavors.

Thanks for riding with us.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #141
TigerXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Wow, so many highs and lows on your adventure. It is cool that parts of Dak live on and will see parts unknown of this world. I hope that you and Yukon J can find a replacement bike and are planning other adventures.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #142
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerXC View Post
Wow, so many highs and lows on your adventure. It is cool that parts of Dak live on and will see parts unknown of this world. I hope that you and Yukon J can find a replacement bike and are planning other adventures.

Thanks Tim... It's been one heck of year. That's for sure.

We are looking for a bike. More so for a car. He is at the age where mom an dad cannot drive him around anymore. Besides, it just isn't cool to bee seen by friends with mom and dad driving him at his age

With that said, we did manage to ride the Washington Coast around the Olympic Peninsula this weekend. He got to ride a Kawasaki Versys 650 that Lori acquired as a bonus of sorts from her boss at work. No ABS or heated grips. It left a bit to be desired on the dirt roads, but Johann loved the extra pep.

This was Johann's first big ride since the accident. We did a couple of small trips to see how he'd adjust to being back on a bike. No problems. Lori says he is a good rider when she followed in the car. I agree. He rides like a veteran.

BTW: We purchased new jackets. You will like this... We now have matching Triumph touring jackets. They were an incredible deal. Too good to pass up, even if they sport the Triumph logo . Johann has a new helmet, riding pants and boots he is all set. Just needs another bike. Patience will hopefully pay off as we are in no hurry.

Enjoy a few pics from our weekend adventure. I think Johann is a fantastic young rider. He did especially well on the Washington Coast, riding the beach on the Versys.

Couple more from our trip this weekend. It seems that Johann picked up a passenger in Port Angeles. See our blog for more

I must say that the Pacific NorthWet is a beautiful place if one can escape the crowds in the off-season in between the rain.

I have a few videos ready to go from our Alaska trip. I am still trying to download some of the video that got corrupted on my camera as well. It looks like most of it can be saved. I am having a friend at Microsoft evaluate it and do the recovery. In any event, I am posting another ride report this week. Complete with video and such from a solo trip into West Central B.C.

More coming... I promise. It has been really hectic.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #143
TigerXC
Adventurer

Life's little Triumphs...

You guys are looking pretty sharp in your Triumph gear. Perhaps if Johann likes the extra pep it is time for a Tiger 800XC (to match the suit!).

Great trip along the Washington coast and Olympic Peninsula.

Are you looking for another Dakar? or are you considering other bikes?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #144
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerXC View Post
You guys are looking pretty sharp in your Triumph gear. Perhaps if Johann likes the extra pep it is time for a Tiger 800XC (to match the suit!).

Great trip along the Washington coast and Olympic Peninsula.

Are you looking for another Dakar? or are you considering other bikes?

Would love to get a Tiger XC. Or an F800 or a F650/F700 Twin or a KTM 690 or ??? The problem is budget. Right now, we are looking for another Dakar or even a F650GS single that fits in the budget. We have all the components to convert a F650 into a Dakar with the bits from Johanns old bike. Even thought about modifying the Versys to be more off-road.. All options are on the table at this point, We are in no hurry as the wet/cold season in the PacNW is nearly here and it is time to think about putting the bikes away until spring. We will be looking at Craiglists, here on ADVRider and word of mouth. No hurry.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #145
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Grizz,

What a tale if getting the Dakar home! Whenever I read Simon and Lisa's worldwide stories in Road Runner Magazine, I'll think of Johann!

He must have been getting along pretty good when he came off to wear through the pannier like that. I still shake my head thinking how lucky he was to walk away from that one.

Keep us posted on his next scoot!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #146
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by theofam View Post
Grizz,

What a tale if getting the Dakar home! Whenever I read Simon and Lisa's worldwide stories in Road Runner Magazine, I'll think of Johann!

He must have been getting along pretty good when he came off to wear through the pannier like that. I still shake my head thinking how lucky he was to walk away from that one.

Keep us posted on his next scoot!
Thanks Sean... We will keep you in the loop. As a father the images of Johann standing on the side of the road with his boot and pannier, et.al. is an image that no father ever wants to see. I'll never forget it. I am so very thankful he walked away with minimal injury. The pannier and handlebars saved his bacon for sure.

One of my bike friends was out at Alyx's shop and saw the Dakar and commented as follws "I was at Alex’s shop having tires installed and saw your F650GS (minus the panniers) and I must say it looked a bit worse than the images depicted"

Johann is pretty adamant about going back up there. He wants to ride the South Canol Road and the Nahanni Range Road in the Yukon. Those are the last roads we have yet to travel on in the Yukon. Maybe next summer if his work schedule allows for it.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #147
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 842
An epic father and son RR!

It didn't end the way you wanted it to, but at least your son escaped unharmed and is still rearing to complete the ride some time in the future.

My oldest is only 6 and is twisting my arm off for a bike of his own. Can't wait till he's old enough for us to be able to tour together.

Your ride with your son is an inspiration! Thank you for sharing it with us!
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #148
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBKK View Post
An epic father and son RR!

It didn't end the way you wanted it to, but at least your son escaped unharmed and is still rearing to complete the ride some time in the future.

My oldest is only 6 and is twisting my arm off for a bike of his own. Can't wait till he's old enough for us to be able to tour together.

Your ride with your son is an inspiration! Thank you for sharing it with us!
Thanks Tony.

I got my first bike when I was 5 ... A Honda QA 50.

My second bike...

Gotta love those pants!!

But I was off to the races on my Yamaha 80.

Johann has new bike now. and new riding gear.

Should post here in a bit with pics.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #149
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

A Phoenix Arises from the Ashes

Meet Daisy: A Phoenix Arises from the Ashes

Meet our new ride. She is affectionately called Daisy. Daisy was acquired from Oregon where she lived a sheltered life (in a garage) with very little love (low miles). She was a cheap date, so we brought her home. ABS, heated grips, brand new tires, etc... it was one heck of a deal.

Her suspension was lowered to accommodate a female rider. All that changed, however, when we brought here home. Using the suspension and other bits from "Dak", our beloved Dakar F650 GS, we did some surgery. The result is a bike with a bit of attitude (A Dakar in disguise). She is the newest member of the RubiKon team.

Yukon Johann has almost all new riding gear (pants, jacket and gloves. Still looking for some good boots. However, he and the new bike are nearly ready for the next adventure.

Oh yes, lest I forget, we got new panniers (not exactly new). There are the BMW Vario cases. The aluminum cladding was a little dinged up. A trip to Line X to have them coated with bed liner material brought them back to life. The color matches the bike. Both bike and rider are looking pretty handsome now. We now looking at putting his stickers on the bike that Johann acquired from his trip to Alaska/Yukon. He earned these badges of honor the hard way. A few other things need to be added, including a steering damper and he'll be good to go.

LED flashing brake lights and reflective striping... just to be safe.

We now begin the tedious process of parting out the old bike parts

It is kind of sad to see an old friend in pieces

Now I need to make some time and finish up those videos from our trip.

Until next time...
Old 12-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #150
TigerXC
Adventurer

The new bike look great and Yukon J is looking pretty snazzy in that new gear. You guys have definitely made lemonade out of the lemons this past year (no reference to Daisy's colour).