Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #6856
waikiki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenerrod View Post
I'm looking for a second bike and this is on top of the list. Sold out till Feb apparently so lots of time to decide.

Looking for the best long distance soft off road bike with a bit of insane thrown in. S10 or Katoom? Shaft vs chain. Looking to cruise above the limit out in WA but not desert just yet.
Huge job interview Thursday. Spending my money before l earn it.

edit: I know there is nothing soft about this. Just l will only be soft roading, nothing stupid, maybe.
Will they have one of these in the flesh at the bike show next week to drool over ?

Good luck with the interview too mate
Old 10-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #6857
Tenerrod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by waikiki View Post
Will they have one of these in the flesh at the bike show next week to drool over ?

Good luck with the interview too mate
Dunno. They might have. Are you going to the show and if so are you riding?
Never been to a bike show over here so l might get along but it will be early.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #6858
waikiki
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenerrod View Post
Dunno. They might have. Are you going to the show and if so are you riding?
Never been to a bike show over here so l might get along but it will be early.
Never been to a show either, looks alright though.
I'm really hoping they take moths in exchange for goods though, my wallet is full of them
I was thinking of heading up and having a look, and yes if I go it will be on the bike for sure, and like you the earlier the better. (just checked, does not open until 10am each day)

Anyone else going ???
Old 10-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #6859
sander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
I've been there a couple of times. There's lots of bikes and gear. I'd like to go again this year.
sander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #6860
fatgut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
[QUOTE=Chaddy08;22624692]Hi guys

Unfortunately i woke up early this morning to go to work and there was only one bike instead of three.

Bastards.
Was it North or South of the river . Normally they hang around the same side.
Kev.
fatgut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #6861
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddy08 View Post
I am south of the river in St James, which is a small suburb next to bentley. My brother is livid, 20K out of pocket in a flash
Sorry to hear that mate.
That is really shit.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #6862
sander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
I am south of the river in St James, which is a small suburb next to bentley. My brother is livid, 20K out of pocket in a flash
Scum, string them up by the balls I reckon. I'll keep an eye out.
sander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #6863
Davey_sprockeT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Guys,
check this out:

Had your motorbike stolen? Blame it on the weather

Motorcycle in sunny fair weather contributes to opportunistic theft, expert says.
Perth is the nation's capital when it comes to motorbike theft and an expert says the only obvious reason is the weather. Yes, the weather.

National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council director of strategy Geoff Hughes said while WA has 11 per cent of the nation's registered vehicle fleet, it is responsible for 25 per cent of motorcycle thefts.

The disproportionate amount of thefts in WA is evident in a motorcycle theft map put together by the national auto theft data centre CARS, the Comprehensive Auto-Theft Research System.

"It's been a problem for a while," Mr Hughes said.

Advertisement
"Almost two thirds of thefts are from houses or residences; this suggests that perhaps people are not doing enough to protect their bikes and reduce access to them by putting them out of sight.

"Climate can have an impact; generally the more temperate weather means people are out on their scooters, out for longer per day than in chilly Melbourne."

He said leaving motorbikes in visible areas as a result of the climate also contributed to the slightly lower proportion of motorbikes being stolen in WA for profit than in other states.

"These are more thefts as opportunistic crimes," Mr Hughes said.

He said these bikes were only stolen as a result of people spotting them and seeing the "opportunity" to steal them.

Mr Hughes urged people to get an immobiliser fitted to their motorbikes and those with scooters could take part in programs run by local governments in which they provide free scooter alarms.

Nationally, motorbikes are more often stolen for profit than cars which are stolen on a "short-term" basis because someone needs or wants a car for a particular purpose in a particular moment.

In contrast, people generally steal motorcycles for money through resale as a whole or in parts.

Across Australia more than one-quarter of all motor vehicles stolen "for profit" in 2011-12 were motorcycles.

That is more than three times motorcycles' share of "short-term" thefts, for things like joyriding or use in a criminal act.

Just 7.8 per cent of short-term thefts were of motorcycles, compared to 25.9 per cent of for-profit theft.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/ha...#ixzz2idp46UMg

Go to the link and there it is......better start locking your babies up boys...
Davey_sprockeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #6864
waikiki
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Not good to hear at all, feel for you (and your brother of course)
Sucks the big one indeed.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound random, if it was it seems to be pure fluke that they came across your brothers bikes.
When you get some pics up, if you don't mind I'll post them on another forum as there have been a couple of other thefts of bikes around the Bentley area as of late, some of which have been recovered fairly quickly so here's hoping.

Keep us updated.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #6865
supermancam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Im originally from Vancouver and lived in a neighbourhood with the highest amount of property/car/bike theft and drug users per square km in N. America. The (respectable folks) community learned to lock or learn so I've always been watchful for theft. When I bought my KLR I set up a cheap deterrent system.

Yard gate and the shed are locked but in sure that's normal. What I also do is disc lock the front, put a bicycle U-lock through the back sprocket and another cable lock from a tyre through a frame part. For the icing on the cake I stick a $10 eBay 140db alarm box up in the fairing and turn it off/on with the supplied remote.

Seems like a lot but if the gate and shed is compromised, the alarm sets off and the scum even if equipped with a portable hand grinder would have to work for awhile to get the bike even to roll. I also thought about a hidden kill switch that would be like $15 at Jaycar.

Anyway, that's my input and if there's any concern about your only bike or fleet of champions then there's cheap methods for protection that will frustrate the pro's into leaving. ;-)

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
supermancam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #6866
fatgut
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermancam View Post
Im originally from Vancouver and lived in a neighbourhood with the highest amount of property/car/bike theft and drug users per square km in N. America. The (respectable folks) community learned to lock or learn so I've always been watchful for theft. When I bought my KLR I set up a cheap deterrent system.

Yard gate and the shed are locked but in sure that's normal. What I also do is disc lock the front, put a bicycle U-lock through the back sprocket and another cable lock from a tyre through a frame part. For the icing on the cake I stick a $10 eBay 140db alarm box up in the fairing and turn it off/on with the supplied remote.

Seems like a lot but if the gate and shed is compromised, the alarm sets off and the scum even if equipped with a portable hand grinder would have to work for awhile to get the bike even to roll. I also thought about a hidden kill switch that would be like $15 at Jaycar.

Anyway, that's my input and if there's any concern about your only bike or fleet of champions then there's cheap methods for protection that will frustrate the pro's into leaving. ;-)
You need to chain or lock it to some thing, 2 Skate boards or Roller skates under the wheels and its gone.
Kev.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #6867
Chaddy08
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
My attachments are disabled for some reason, i think i need to get my posts up before i can upload pictures. I have uploaded pictures here http://www.perthtrailscene.com/forum...71.html?page=2
Chaddy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #6868
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,260
A mate had his Ducati stolen from his garage about 2 weeks ago.
But, what kind of dick leaves the key in the bike?
And then goes to bed with the roller door up?

You'd like to think he'd learn from this, but he won't.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #6869
supermancam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgut View Post
You need to chain or lock it to some thing, 2 Skate boards or Roller skates under the wheels and its gone.
Kev.
That would be ideal, pour cement and set a anchor point for a super chain! Or steel beam on the side of the shed maybe? Cheap alarms work well to alert you to funny business but if everyone's at work, nobody hears it.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
supermancam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #6870
fatgut
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
My attachments are disabled for some reason, i think i need to get my posts up before i can upload pictures. I have uploaded pictures here http://www.perthtrailscene.com/forum...71.html?page=2
I see on Perth trail scene some said they were on a trailer out Midland way. Try and find which road they were on, then ask main roads for camera footage. You will be amazed at what cameras are out there. Definatly get you a Car Rego number.
Kev.