Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayj93pgt View Post
awesome, thanks everyone for the suggestions. the only reason im a bit nervous is cause ive never ridden anything on dirt/gravel so i guess i have a fear that im going to just eat gravel the first time i take a turn. I ended up just getting a short bike to learn on for really cheap, I do like the dr650 and the bmw g650gs as the weight is lower. I am skilled enough to ride a bike when i can barely tip toe, i will probably move up to a dr650se or g650gs or possibly a tiger 800 next summer. for now i bought a little xt225 and im going to learn on it and probably give it to my girlfriend or something when i move up to something different.

appreciate all of the info too. it makes sense that any bike can basically do any type of riding. Ive learned over the years that comfort is huge moreso than looking cool on a supersport bike that is far from comfortable or practical...although i may get another one anyway lol. one can never have too many bikes!!
You dont have to justify anything here- you couldnt have made a better choice IMO, and I own the much-recommended DR650. It is my first dirty-bike and I have a great time in dirt with it, but ive considered getting an XT225/250 for honing my dirt skills as the DR is a big 'un.

When you want a dirty bike for multi state trips, the DR has to be one of the top options, but there are others too.. I took mine to Alaska and it was perfect.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
jayj93pgt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
yeah i have heard nothing but good things about the dr650, and i do like it. i sat on a brand new one at the dealership out near me and without the factory lower setting i was on the balls of both feet, or flat with 1 foot and toes with the other one. It will probably be the bike i move up to once i feel comfortable off road, but i am really satisfied with the xt225 so far, i love how light it is, right now im getting it ready for some off roading. i dont want to destroy it first time out so i have crash bars/skid plate on the way, as well as some moose racing aluminum hand guards. gonna get myself some knee/shin guards and elbow guards too cause im pretty sure im going to fall once at some point lol. any other things i should think about? at first im just going to start out on forest roads and stuff and eventually do some ohv trails and work my way to single trails i guess.

any tips to keep me safe and to keep the bike from getting destroyed or me getting stranded lol. thanks
jayj93pgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayj93pgt View Post
yeah i have heard nothing but good things about the dr650, and i do like it. i sat on a brand new one at the dealership out near me and without the factory lower setting i was on the balls of both feet, or flat with 1 foot and toes with the other one. It will probably be the bike i move up to once i feel comfortable off road, but i am really satisfied with the xt225 so far, i love how light it is, right now im getting it ready for some off roading. i dont want to destroy it first time out so i have crash bars/skid plate on the way, as well as some moose racing aluminum hand guards. gonna get myself some knee/shin guards and elbow guards too cause im pretty sure im going to fall once at some point lol. any other things i should think about? at first im just going to start out on forest roads and stuff and eventually do some ohv trails and work my way to single trails i guess.

any tips to keep me safe and to keep the bike from getting destroyed or me getting stranded lol. thanks
My number one suggestion is to get some GREAT motocross boots. Im talking full race boots. I have Sidi Crossfire TAs and they have already saved me from a broken ankle once (and my ankle was sore the next day with them- without them I have no doubt I would have broken my ankle). This is especially important the more weight you have offroad, but an XT225 will break your ankle too. Not sure the equivalents to the Sidis I have in other brands, but look them up and try some on if you can. Totally worth it.

Sounds good on the bike farkles, and sounds good on the initial dirt road selections. You sound like you are doing this right.

If you are staying in the US, you might consider moving up to a WR250R. It wont have the torque of a DR, but it will do 80mph and its a very capable bike. Head to the third world though, and the DR is the ticket. The DR is a great choice for multi-state trips too. If you like being able to fix your own bike, the DR is much better suited to you than a WR. The WR is complicated but reliable and awesome. It really depends on whether you want a dirt bike that you can get to the trails with, or a motorcycle that can run some nasty dirt. Sometimes I take the DR out not even looking for dirt and enjoy it strictly as a street bike- plenty of torque, light to throw around, good visibility, soulful motor. Other times im headed for dirt- the DR is the best bike made at doing both IF you want simple too. The KTM 690 is great, but expensive, complicated, and SOME dont seem reliable. The WR is the bike if you want a dirtbike that can do long stretches of road.

Anyways, youre on the right path so enjoy the XT and figure out what type of dual-sporter you are for when you "upgrade".
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote